Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the biggest choke of the year without a thread? We have to fix it.

PCB was leading 6-3 4-0 and lost the second set 6-4, losing six straight games. At the beginning of the third Carreno takes the lead again and goes 3-1, but it's not enough to stop the comeback of Delbonis, who finally win 6-3 (After 4 matchpoints).

I don't know what happened to the Spaniard. He was one of the coldest player on the tour, and now he casually loses this kind of games. Tennis is a strange sport.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
One of the biggest choke of the year without a thread? We have to fix it.

PCB was leading 6-3 4-0 and lost the second set 6-4, losing six straight games. At the beginning of the third Carreno takes the lead again and goes 3-1, but it's not enough to stop the comeback of Delbonis, who finally win 6-3 (After 4 matchpoints).

I don't know what happened to the Spaniard. He was one of the coldest player on the tour, and now he casually loses this kind of games. Tennis is a strange sport.
I had a bet on PCB. Thats why. I jinxed him to lose. End of story. This would have never happened otherwise.

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
I am quite certain Budadiii would have opened a thread about this.

Why is he banned? He doesn't appear in the banned user thread...

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
yes very very strange scenario. They were showing Garin/Verdasco on Eurosport yesterday evening, I was following the scores and saw this lead 6/3 4/0 for PCB...then I fell asleep and woke up when it was 4-3 for Delbo in the final set...and I watched the last 2 games. So I really don't know what happened, but Federico was playing very well in these last 2 games, probably due to the scenario of the match he had nothing to lose anymore and went for his shots. Delbonis is the kind of player who often has a lead in a match even with a break in final set and then end up losing it (like 2 weeks ago in Belgrade vs Daniel in the QF), so I was very surprised to see him coming back from one set and 2 breaks down against a player of the quality of PCB.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Is it permanent or for how long ?
I really don’t know the specifics. I took a lot of abuse and finally took it to a moderator. Interestingly, his comment prior to that was “see how that works out for you honey” and boom - all his posts regarding me were gone, and the word “banned” appeared. I really didn’t get much back from the moderator so I don’t have any information as to the length. I don’t know if he is suspended or banned permanently. I can tell you in one of his last postings he challenged the moderator or moderators to do it, as if they never would. Apparently they had a different view on the kinds of language that he used when he addressed me, they obviously didn’t take kindly to it.

·
Registered
61,330 Posts
PCB has been a choker for a while, but it's getting worse and worse- he's contending for the very worst choker on tour now, and he's without question the worst in the top 20.

·
Registered
907 Posts
PCB is not a great front-runner in general. If I'm not mistaken, after this loss he now has the worst win % in tour-level matches after winning 1st set among all active Top 10 players. Gulbis and PCB are the only ones with <80% win rate. Most top tenners have it close to 90%.

CORRECTION:
After Khachanov's another loss from a set up I looked up his numbers and have to apologize to PCB — he is the second worst front-runner among active top-tenners. Karen's win % is even more pitiful.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
PCB has been a choker for a while, but it's getting worse and worse- he's contending for the very worst choker on tour now, and he's without question the worst in the top 20.
Yep . He's fighting through it. PCB didn't deserve that title some weeks ago, ARV was/is playing better .

·
Registered
132 Posts
Does Delbonis still have that herkey-jerkey serve toss motion? He used to drive my crazy doing that, to the point that I could not watch his matches.

·
Your visions will happen
51,352 Posts
Does Delbonis still have that herkey-jerkey serve toss motion? He used to drive my crazy doing that, to the point that I could not watch his matches.
Yep, still has a toss into the stratosphere

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Sorry pal I can't let you take all the blame. The last 2 times I bet on him in years were these 2 matches so it's as much as my fault as yours.
View attachment 364318
View attachment 364319
My bet was not powerful enough. There had to be mightier ones in play. Thanks for clearing it up.

Life is wonderful isn't it ? PCB seems to be useless when we are betting on him and wins when we decide not to place it on him. Same for Delbonis.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Strange from PCB very odd, just went into his shell and lost his confidence completely when Delbonis started playing better, hope he is OK.

·
justice for all
18,039 Posts
Who would be the TOP5 chokers in the current TOP100 according to you?

·
justice for all
18,039 Posts
Delbonis now leads H2H 5-0 in Bo3 matches. Carreno won both their meetings at slams though.
Exactly. This upset wasn't really such a big upset if you take their previous meetings into account. The two times he beat him were during RG and he needed 4 sets each time and 3 tiebreaks. Apparently something bothers Cerreno in Delbonis lefty shots.

But still, the way he squandered the lead especially in the 2nd set was unacceptable.

·
24,387 Posts
Delbonis now leads H2H 5-0 in Bo3 matches. Carreno won both their meetings at slams though.
And yet Fognini has a worse H2H, even if I say Delbonis has as much inconsistent game as is -- what in the world, hehe.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts