Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,294 Posts
Madrid R1: Sock def. Andujar 6-4 7-5

Sock held his nerve just long enough there to take it. Andujar was far too hit and miss today making some costly errors. Sock had a double break in set 2 and served for it but got broken back twice to get to 5-5. Andujar returned the favour with a DF to get broken. Serving for it a third time, another BP. Saving this he took it on his 4th MP. Some hilarious moments those games...

Sometimes I wonder how players work around a dysfunctional backhand. Jack sure does...His FH is so comfortable, with good pop and he plays the margins super well. I would not be able to count how many winners he must have struck off that wing if we discount those tense final moments.

To Pokemon game fans, that move (FH) is what we call "Supereffective!"

EDIT: Sock had 23 FH winners! to Andujar's 7

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Madrid R1: Sock Def. Andujar 6-4, 7-5

Sock fended off early break points in the second set and almost immediately started asserting himself on Andujar's. Went up a double break and things just started to unravel for him with rushed play and easy misses. I feel like the crowd played a factor, but also credit to Andujar for not going away as well and playing gutsy. Jack ultimately rebounded nicely.

Sock's use of the drop shot on clay has been very considerate and very well executed. In this match, much better than Houston even, where I thought he left a number of them sitting up. Today, the touch was clinical, and very well-timed because he had a great sense of when Andujar was removed from the court.

·
Registered
29,418 Posts
Re: Madrid R1: Sock Def. Andujar 6-4, 7-5

See ya Pablo :bigwave:

·
Registered
13,139 Posts
Re: Madrid R1: Sock Def. Andujar 6-4, 7-5

OMG! What mug choke fest!! Full disclosure I'm a huge Sock fan .. the match was going swimmingly until 5-2 when Jack went to serve the match out. That's when he got tight started double faulting and missing easy put away balls.. but would Andujar seize his chances? After saving 3 break points?? Nope once he reached 5-5 he started to double fault miss easy shots and choke himself to death too!! This is WTA type drama.

The match eventually ended after Sock found finally found some first serves. The Spanish crowd was really getting after Jack though, whistling and jeering .. but I have to admit even as a Sock fan, shouting "c'mon!" after every one of your opponents misses, and every time you hit an ace is a bit bush league and a tad disrespectful to boot. The irony is that Sock at the end, was shouting after every point he won but then didn't celebrate after hitting the forehand winner to seal the match. He stood expressionless at the net and waited for Pablo.

Very bizarre.

LOL

·
23,796 Posts
Andujar just really overpowered by that big FH. Sock really has done a good job to hide his weakness on the BH, and really used his FH to make great shots. Some good touch shots from him too. Good match from both and i hope at least Andujar won't be discouraged from this (although still has those mentality issues like giving away a pivotal game on a DF) and improve his shot selection and consistency because his BH DTL is a beauty..

·
Banned
70,522 Posts
i guess pablo already played his "tournament of the year" in barcelona, so...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts