If Gulbis is healthy enough, he should reach quarters here

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
JJ is just bad

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
So Gulbis is apparently on antibiotics, caughs, sneezes, looks really under the weather and still he is on the court? He should have been resting and trying to get healthy for upcoming tournaments. I really would not have minded if Janowicz won this - he really needed this win, it would have probably given him some confidence back. Gulbis will most probably be an easy pickings for the Dog or the Fog in the second round. Well, it's not like I didn't enjoy Gulbis winning - I did. It's great to see him win when he plays far from his best and there's always a chance he will improve in the next round (or Dog or Fog will be bigger clown than him on that particular day)

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
JJ looked great at times in that match. Some of his backhand volleys took my breath away. He ended up with 44 winners to 38 UFE. But Ernie was just untouchable on serve in that third set - no way back for JJ after he gave up the break.

·
Registered
33,355 Posts
Well I'll take him winning a set as a positive, as he hasn't even won a set for ages. Hopefully he's back and better in Rome.

Congrats to Robis, BlueLightHouse, Evita and TravellingFanGirl.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Jerzy didn't play bad:sad:

Hopefully this match will help him get a win in Rome:yeah:

He is not nearly as bad of a player as some of his haters on MTF make him out to be

With the right coach and some changes to his game he would be excellent:cheerleader:

Tough 1R IMO but he looked way better than he has since Miami that is for sure:hug:

·
Registered
33,355 Posts
Jerzy didn't play bad:sad:

Hopefully this match will help him get a win in Rome:yeah:

He is not nearly as bad of a player as sone of his haters on MTF make him out to be

With the right coach and some changes to his game he would be excellent:cheerleader:

Tough 1R IMO but he looked way better than he has since Miami that is for sure:hug:
The only problem now is confidence, it seems it improved in this match as well as vs Melzer in Rome. One step at a time.

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
nid. jerzy is just thinking on domachowska and not on his tennis in madrid

ernie was in a very bad mood the days i saw him practicing, yet he won this...expected. please keep winning, ernie!

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
The only problem now is confidence, it seems it improved in this match as well as vs Melzer in Rome. One step at a time.
I agree...Winning a set and having close stats in terms of numbers is a huge step in the right direction...Next week the pressure will be on to defend alot of points...Hope the draw is kinder in Rome:hug:

Melzer was in Barcelona:haha:

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts
Janowicz didn't play bad actually, but in the 1st set it was his idiotic shot selection hurting him once more. Otherwise, he could had won this in 2.

As for Gulbis, up and down match, but his serve in the 3rd set was just stellar.

·
Registered
33,355 Posts
nid. jerzy is just thinking on domachowska and not on his tennis in madrid

ernie was in a very bad mood the days i saw him practicing, yet he won this...expected. please keep winning, ernie!
Oh shut up Sombrero, he came closer to winning a match than he has for a while and you blame it on his Girlfriend? Funny that. Funny that he was with his Girlfriend when he made the Semi Final's of Wimbledon as well as the Quarter Final's of Rome. Perhaps he lost because he saw you in the crowd.

·
Registered
33,355 Posts
I agree...Winning a set and having close stats in terms of numbers is a huge step in the right direction...Next week the pressure will be on to defend alot of points...Hope the draw is kinder in Rome:hug:

Melzer was in Barcelona:haha:
:lol:. My mind is half on Rome already, since I only have clayray to follow in Madrid now :lol:

·
Come on, Ernest!
17,055 Posts
Gulbis has managed to avoid serious injuries but he sure does seem to get sick a lot :unsure: Oh well, I hope his team knows what they are doing. I am glad he beat Janowicz, I still remember that Wimbledon loss :eek: But I have to agree that Janowicz played really great tennis in the second set.

·
Registered
33,355 Posts
Gulbis has managed to avoid serious injuries but he sure does seem to get sick a lot :unsure: Oh well, I hope his team knows what they are doing. I am glad he beat Janowicz, I still remember that Wimbledon loss :eek: But I have to agree that Janowicz played really great tennis in the second set.
I heard he does not like early mornings :lol:. Maybe that's what contributed to it.

Congrats anyway Evita.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts