Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This match went right down to the wire, but it was Goffin that finally got the break and served it out.

Gulbis is 1-10 on the year. (His only victory came against Gimeno-Traver in Indian Wells.)

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
About time, should have been an easier final set, Goffin had ample break points but finally broke after an epic game at 5-5

Ended with an ace :tears:

·
Premium Member
Stan Wawrinka
4,102 Posts
I really liked this match. It was not high quality throughout, but both were trying hard in their own ways of playing tennis:
Gulbis with hard serves and heavy groundstrokes and of course a bit too many errors.
Goffin with great counterponching tennis, sometimes defensive, but very variable, sometimes really good offensively as well.
3rd set was very tight and entertaining.

Reactions: IBM

·
Registered
683 Posts
Better from Gulbis today I thought, even though it wasn't enough to get a win. Too many mistakes and Goffin was the more steady player.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
One really notices how worrying is Gulbis situation when his main problem from the baseline becomes his backhand instead of his forehand, when it used to be in the opposite way. I saw some progresses on his forehand but the backhand was bad today, I think that was the key for Goffin to win the match. He only needed to target the ball to Gulbis backhand, making him run a little bit if possible.

Anyway, I think that Gulbis will improve in the future, the attitude is there. Today he wasn't passive, he wanted to win the match and was fighting for it.

·
Registered
20,975 Posts
49 UEs... even for 3 sets, that must be some new records then

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Goffin's best win in more than 6 months, Kei about to take him to school including a short trip to the bakery.
Considering this was #20 vs #21 it was a shockingly low level.

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
How many matches will gulbis win in 2015? 2, 3, maybe even 5? It seems he doesn't give a fuck anymore.
Yes, he doesn't give a fuck, but hires Thomas Enqvist as a coach. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Yes, he doesn't give a fuck, but he's saving BPs like a mad men and he just wanna explode on court. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Yes, he doesn't give a fuck, but he plays competitive three set match with 7-5 scoreline in decider. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Gulbis will start clicking. Sooner or later, but he will start clicking. He is not going to slumping forever.

·
Banned
1,221 Posts
1st set was a gift.

·
Banned
1,221 Posts
Yes, he doesn't give a fuck, but hires Thomas Enqvist as a coach. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Yes, he doesn't give a fuck, but he's saving BPs like a mad men and he just wanna explode on court. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Yes, he doesn't give a fuck, but he plays competitive three set match with 7-5 scoreline in decider. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Gulbis will start clicking. Sooner or later, but he will start clicking. He is not going to slumping forever.
By the law of large number your prediction will be true at a certain point. We just have to wait and hope. He likes Rome though, might be the turn around.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Gulbis is peaking for RG. From 1 game against AHM, to one set vs Paire, to close match with Goffin I see him winning RG final in three, maybe four ;)

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Some sign of life from Gulbis. Yes, too many UEs, but you shouldn't be nitpicky about him at this point. One step at a time, but at this snail pace, he might lose all the points before finally coming back to full life.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts