Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Madrid [R1]: Almagro def. Golubev 6-3 6(9)-7 7-6(4), needs 11 MPs to close it out

Almagro being Almagro.

11 MPs. 11!

He got away with it, almost miraculously, this time. But the next round should be a semi-Bye for his opponent.

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Madrid R1: Almagro def. (Q) Golubev 6-3 6-7(9) 7-6(4)

And does so with fantastic hair. (We'll just ignore the fact that it took 11 match points, okay?)

(Next up for Nico after surviving that scare: a R2 match with Andy Murray.)

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
the scoreline :spit:
11 mps :facepalm:
almagro :lol:

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Just for the record, I'm not saying that Nico shouldn't have closed it out earlier, but most of those 11 MPs were a) on Golubev's serve and b) saved by fantastic play by Golubev (not boneheaded play from Nico).

·
23,063 Posts
Well, that was a close match than expected, and Almagro mugging 10000000 MPs. That said I didn't watch the TB to see if Golubev just gave the TB away (probably due to nerves) or Almagro wanting to end this neatly. That said I thought it was a fun match if not the best quality -- Golubev crush balls, Almagro with crazy angles.

·
Registered
11,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just for the record, I'm not saying that Nico shouldn't have closed it out earlier, but most of those 11 MPs were a) on Golubev's serve and b) saved by fantastic play by Golubev (not boneheaded play from Nico).
This is because he was standing 10 feet behind the baseline waiting for Golubev's error (at least in the final set).

·
Registered
28,788 Posts
Mugro gonna mug.

Golubev will rise

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
11 match points? :spit:

Well, I watched the last few games and at 5-3 40-30, Golubev came up with a miracle backhand return winner on Mugro's 200km/h first serve. That backhand could of easily went anywhere and it would be a routine 6-3 final set.
No choke there, but I don't know what he was doing in the second set. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts