Mens Tennis Forums banner
141 - 159 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
The worst match ive ever seen Nadal play on clay
I agree at all

The way Nadal return of serve was tragic. Nadal ROS today was at ATP challenger lever. Everything bad for Rafa come from this basic shot.

Nadal short ROS give Zverev many free points to pump his confidence.

Evertyhing come from frequent short ROS, make Rafa nervous and lack of confidence to see oppenent make easy winners every point.

Rafa have to practse so much on ROS in the last couple of week also in the prospective for Wimbledon and hard court season. He maybe have to try to change the possitioning on ROS to come closer to the baseline and use block ROS sometimes if it neccessary.

·
Registered
10,318 Posts
I'm always surprised how Zverev looks so ordinary with his weird forehand, shaky 2nd serve and playing 3 meters behing the baseline. Struggling against random players at times. Remember 20 DFs once in 2019?
And then has these great wins and even 6-0 in sets against Nadal lately :D

I like that twohander which is almost perfect and has no trouble with higher balls. That's maybe the key against Nadal.
And when he's also hitting good forehands, serving big 1st serves he becomes almost a complete player.

·
Banned
2,100 Posts
Bull had easy draws in the past 15 years, so when a tall guy comfortably moonballed, flat shotted and angle shotted, he didn’t know how to reply.
Zverev is long and flexible and Bull had no moonballs. He was crushed. Bull claimed that he was in control but he didn’t dominate in the first set. Zverev was just getting used to the match.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Look, people, you all know I love a decent Nadal roast. But does this really surprise anyone? Nadal is trash if the ball does not bounce sky high and is actually fast. As soon as I saw how fast the conditions are this year, I knew Nadal would bomb out. Him embarrassing himself in Madrid was NID.

The coping mechanism of OP is absolutely hilarious, though. This clown stated that he witnessed the "best Nadal he ever saw" in the last matches, and now his whole blind Nadal worshipping is being exposed once again. Keep that stuff coming, man.

·
Registered
8,356 Posts
With FO too far away, any predictions for Rome if the Mallorcan decides to play it, Swisstennisgod? Also, how about some compliments for Zverev for the 3 straight wins record vs Nadal (1 shy of Davydenko) among the young guns & boosting rest of field's confidence to take the Claybot on for rest of Clay season?

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I'm honestly surprised Zverev's game works on clay. He's not much of a rally player. So in that regard, this is an embarrassing loss for Nadal. I think it's alot worse than last year's loss to Schwartzman in Rome. And worse than Rublev. You'd have to go back to Cuevas beating him in 2016 to find a worse loss on Clay for Rafa.

Sasha just lost to Ivashka a couple weeks ago on clay!

·
Registered
14,268 Posts
I'm always surprised how Zverev looks so ordinary with his weird forehand, shaky 2nd serve and playing 3 meters behing the baseline. Struggling against random players at times. Remember 20 DFs once in 2019?
And then has these great wins and even 6-0 in sets against Nadal lately :D

I like that twohander which is almost perfect and has no trouble with higher balls. That's maybe the key against Nadal.
And when he's also hitting good forehands, serving big 1st serves he becomes almost have a complete player.
He had 14 DFs during his defeat to Ivashka just last week.

Compared to MC and Munich, mentally he looks as if he has just completed a 2 months long therapy

·
Banned
2,100 Posts
No surprise. Zverev had a bad off court year and couldn’t get more than 3 good tournaments. He got back on top.
This time, Nadal played on Madrid clay like it was grass. He also barely won on grass. No more cakewalk draws like a few years ago.

·
Registered
8,356 Posts
I agree at all

The way Nadal return of serve was tragic. Nadal ROS today was at ATP challenger lever. Everything bad for Rafa come from this basic shot.

Nadal short ROS give Zverev many free points to pump his confidence.

Evertyhing come from frequent short ROS, make Rafa nervous and lack of confidence to see oppenent make easy winners every point.

Rafa have to practse so much on ROS in the last couple of week also in the prospective for Wimbledon and hard court season. He maybe have to try to change the possitioning on ROS to come closer to the baseline and use block ROS sometimes if it neccessary.

·
Registered
304 Posts
28-6 in winners and a 3rd consecutive win for Zverev against Nadal - good stuff

Looking forward to the Thiem vs Zverev SF

·
Registered
489 Posts
How much of a part did the fast surface and high altitude play in the result? Would Zverev have still won in other clay court tournaments? Can he do it at RG as well? Zverev has won this tournament before, so the surface must suit his game quite well. After he defeated Nishikori in R2, Nishikori said he had never been overwhelmed by another player as much as he was by Zverev. Nishiori said that he didn't play badly at all. Even compared to his bad losses against the likes of Djokovic and Federer, that loss to Zeverv stands out.

·
Banned
2,100 Posts
Bulldal was overwhelmed but I still think Djoker dominated Nadal on clay more than Zverev.
Zverev was average in the 1st 3 games. Bulldal wasn’t at his worst. Otherwise, Bulldal would’ve crashed out 6-1 -6-2.

·
Premium Member
20,770 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Is Zverev's chance of winning the French Open as good as Biden beating Trump?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I've only seen patches of the match but Nadal cannot seem to do to any harm with his groundstrokes. It's amazing how inefficient they are regardless whether it's an inside out or cross court he can't seem to do any damage. He's also not opening the court very good. Hopefully he'll get better by the time RG rolls around.

·
|
16,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
But would Nadal drop a set this week if Madrid was played at Roland Garros? I don't think so.
Zverev 2021
Tsitsipas 2019
Thiem 2018
Murray 2016
Murray 2015
Verdasco 2012
Djokovic 2011
Federer 2009
They all beat Nadal at Madrid since it became clay in 2009.
All of them were straight sets, except for Tsitsipas and Verdasco.

141 - 159 of 159 Posts