Mens Tennis Forums banner
41 - 60 of 159 Posts

·
King Of Tennis
4,229 Posts
Nadal hasn't even managed to get to a tiebreak in his last three matches/six sets with Zverev. Spanning two surfaces - indoor hardcourt and outdoor clay.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Wow...that's 6 straight sets for Sascha in this matchup...none tiebreaks btw....has this matchup completely turned on it's head?

Zverev hasn't had a great year so far, but he always can come out of nowhere and play solid tennis against top players(like against Stef in Acapulco final).
3-5 in the head to head against Nadal and botched an easy volley on matchpoint in their first encounter at Indian Wells & then let slip a 3-1 final set lead in Rome.

Could've very easily been in the black for Zverev instead.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
No, the real loser is Djokovic. This ensures Medvedev as the # 2 seed for RG (unless Thiem wins both Madrid/Rome and Med doesn't reach SF), ensuring he'll have to play both Rafa and Thiem at RG unless there's an upset. Which means absolutely no chance for Djokovic to win RG.
Then again, the only chance for Djoković to beat Nadal with his own two hands is before the final, so...
His best hope was for Thiem to beat Rafa in the SF, than beat a tired Thiem in the final. This isn't possible anymore.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Nadal really showing signs of aging, now it cannot be denied.

Zverev with less DF galore as usual, still got broken due to one such occasion.
Anyway 1st clay win vs Nadal

Stats:
Nice pushing from moonballer.

Reactions: DjokoKing

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Pretty horrible by Rafa. It was 4-2 first set and I had to go for a while and when I returned couldn't believe what I saw... Zverev barely had to work for the win, every single return/rally Rafa's balls landed in the middle of the court and were easy winners for Zverev. Rafa also made a ton of errors. He's not improved at all since MC, I have no idea how he won Barcelona.
Dullcrap, even a middling Nadal has you work hard to beat him. The level wasn't great yes.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
That's his best hope. Mine would be that he beats Nadal himself.

·
25,396 Posts
It seems the worst we can see from these two showed up this match. I predicted it could be a DF fest, although I guess "only" 3 from Nadal and 5 from Zverev. Early share of breaks in the 1st Set and both are trying to fight off their yips today. 9 winners from Nadal today shows how powerless he has been on strokes today. Sascha did improve 1st serve in the 2nd Set at 64% and faced no BPs there. Meanwhile Nadal got broken in the only BPs he faced in the 1st Set. So many iffy shots from both and some mishits but Sascha in important points IMO didn't falter as expected.

·
Registered
8,999 Posts
What an atrocious showing from Rafa.

I have been saying for awhile now he has confidence/nerve problems, he was a mess today.
Since Med atp finals it is a problem again.

He should have won the 1rst set, then It all started 4/2 1rst set shanking that easy FH volley, he deteriorated since that, and AZ only drew confidence and found his game, because nadal gave him real beleif.\
It was mainly a shitshow but no question AZ was better from that moment 4/2 on.

The high bounce and high speed of the madrid worked against him with AZ, as the commie pointed out Rafa was getting serves above shoulder level, so the ros was weak, even on 2nd serves.
Rafa also couldn't serve worth shit, or hit groundies, just a mess and he knew it.

I thought before the match the only way AZ was going to win was servebotting but this was not the case. Rafa was an error machine today.
Very disappointed but I still trust he'll get it together for RG, also that court is just better for him.

Still, very ugly match.
I wonder what all those posters who thought the Barc final was crap think of this match?

·
Premium Member
26,012 Posts
3-5 in the head to head against Nadal and botched an easy volley on matchpoint in their first encounter at Indian Wells & then let slip a 3-1 final set lead in Rome.

Could've very easily been in the black for Zverev instead.
Actually, it turned out more often than not, Zverev has the game to trouble Nadal, even on clay.
He just should sort out his head a bit to avoid further choking when he'll have the chance to win sets and matches in this matchup.

Reactions: laughingcavalier

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Yeah that was possibly the worst shot Nadal ever played on a clay court
I strongly suggest then you go and watch a clip of Nadal's forehand dump into the net against Murray to lose the title in Madrid all those years ago when he got pounded 3 & 2.

Murray threw in a WTA second serve that took eons to get over and Nadal with all the time in the world and a huge backswing sent the ball tamely into the net.His embarrassed facials as he walked to the net said everything about that shot & the match.

·
Premium Member
26,012 Posts
Reactions: DjokoKing

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Nadal has to wait until Rome to try and tie the all-time record for most masters titles.
Just out of curiosity, who do you like more Federer or Nadal?

·
King Of Tennis
4,229 Posts
Actually, it turned out more often than not, Zverev has the game to trouble Nadal, even on clay.
He just should sort out his head a bit to avoid further choking when he'll have the chance to win sets and matches in this matchup.
Like I said though, it's not just Zverev dominating Nadal nowadays - it's all the top Next Gen. Medvedev in London, Tsitsipas at AO, Rublev at Monte Carlo. He's losing to them regularly at these big events.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Btw,that's why i said that Barca final was irrelevant in terms of win.It sure boosted Rafa's confidence a bit.But he was tragic in that match,today he was also bad,but mostly because of Zverev's great game(ChiChi played much worse after first 5-7 games),not to mention that he was palying good untill clownery at 4-3*.
But some people were happy on that win...Never learn

Win is not that imoprtant.The way u play and win is.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Thank you Zverev for your services. That was a fun match to watch. Nadal was about as bad as I've ever seen on clay, but Zverev really impressed me as well. Many players would have not been able to close, and who knows, Nadal might have eventually found his rhythm. If Zverev played like this all the time it would be a real joy to watch.

I still think this doesn't matter much as far as RG is concerned, but at least it's now clear that Nadal is very beatable in BO3 on clay. Only RG remains as a real stronghold. Now if Nadal also loses badly in Rome then maybe I will believe that there is some chance of him losing in RG, since Rome is a lot closer to RG in both time and court conditions. In 2019, for example, Nadal was also mediocre until Rome which is when he started to pick up pace and find his best form. So I'm very excited to see how that will go this year.

Reactions: Rumour

·
God loves a trier
4,770 Posts
Like I said though, it's not just Zverev dominating Nadal nowadays - it's all the top Next Gen. Medvedev in London, Tsitsipas at AO, Rublev at Monte Carlo. He's losing to them regularly at these big events.
Yeah, the theory not too long ago was that NextGen were a threat to Joker and Fed, but that Rafa was immune.

That's changed over the past 6 months.

41 - 60 of 159 Posts