·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Matosevic: “I don’t think that highly of the women’s game“

Sorry newsgoat, I had to do it this time, this gem had to be urgently here.

Marinko Matosevic dispatched 2012 winner Marin Cilic at the Queen’s Club Aegon Championships – then admitted he could never follow Andy Murray and be coached by a woman.

The 28-year-old Australian saw off the ninth-seed Croatian 6-4 6-4 in a big first-round upset in Kensington on Tuesday, then conceded he could not be coached by the likes of Amelie Mauresmo.

Murray’s decision to replace Ivan Lendl with former Wimbledon and Australian Open champion Mauresmo has polarised locker room opinion, but Matosevic is the first frontline player to admit openly he could not countenance employing a female coach.

The world number 60 believes the strength of the women’s game does not lend itself to first-class men’s coaching.

“Apparently there’s a few guys in the top 100 who are coached by women.

“(Mikhail) Kukushkin is coached by his wife, Denis Istomin by his mum, she’s done a great job with him,” said Matosevic.

“For me, I couldn’t do it, since I don’t think that highly of the women’s game.

“But his mum coached him and she did a great job with him, so we’ll see what happens.

“It’s all equal rights these days, you’ve got to be politically correct, so someone’s got to give it a go – it won’t be me.”

Matosevic conceded 34 world ranking places against Cilic but was never deterred against the 25-year-old, coached by Goran Ivanisevic.

Matosevic said coach Mark Woodforde has challenged him to be more assertive on court, and favour the serve-volley game.

“It’s about being aggressive,” he said.

“All the older Aussies came forward, and the match was on their racquet, they were very attacking players because they grew up on grass.

“It’s kind of got lost in the last decade since (Pat) Rafter retired, and (Lleyton) Hewitt was playing a different style, so it got lost I guess.”
Source: http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/matosevic-not-following-murray-lead-633051.html

·
Registered
21,308 Posts
Re: Matosevic: “I don’t think that highly of the women’s game“

:lol: everyone coming out of the woodwork to comment on this, Andy keeps making waves.

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
He's going to get tons of feedback about how nobody in the WTA know who he is.

On a separate note, I dunno why he doesn't like his nickname. It's pretty awesome.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
Whereas Matosevic's game is something to be treasured? When he plays, there are usually only a handful of spectators and most of them probably got lost on the way to the toilets. :lol:

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
I love how the first reaction to these comments are always "this guy is irrelevant ololololol"

Doesn't make a difference to the value of his opinion.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
It's funny people here saying he is a crap player. What exactly does that make you guys then? If his opinion on tennis, as a professional, is irrelevant, then what is yours?

·
Registered
8,408 Posts
Matosevic saves tennis by beating Cilic and then speaks the truth on a controversial subject :worship:

My level of respect for him has gone through the roof.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Well, no woman or man can help this guy anyway. I have no problem with him stating his opinion though

·
Registered
21,396 Posts
*Keeps refreshing TF until the fun starts*

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
:unsure: no comments, really disappointing from matosevic here

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Matosevic :facepalm:

Maybe, but that is very hypothetical, he would be able to reach better Results in Slams with a Woman on his Side. Maybe a Woman could unleash somehow a Slambeast :devil:

1 - 20 of 202 Posts