Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mark Woodforde believes Matosevic will become more than a dangerous floater once the volatile Victorian learns to control his emotions — on and off the court.

“I see him being a really dangerous player in these big tournaments,” Woodforde said.

“I mean, geez, he just knocked out a guy who had Andy Murray on the ropes last year in the quarter-finals, two sets to love, and did well last week.

“That’s where I see Marinko has that ability to do that. He’s just starting. He’s got some good years ahead of him, some really good years ahead of him.”

As Matosevic prepares to face Frenchman Jeremy Chardy on Wednesday night, Woodforde continues to counsel against emotional extremes.

“As with every player, controlling their emotions, being professional, making logical choices on the court, sometimes is at the right time, but you’ve got to have that base,” Woodforde said.

“And that’s what everyone’s trying to provide for him.

It’s a good team around him … and that helps him. He wants to feel good and look good on the court, and that helps him play good.

“It can be frustrating because I see a level that he can reach, and he’s not near that yet, so as a coach I think you keep pushing him.

“Sometimes that annoys him, because I do expect a lot from him, but that keeps him nose to the ground, head down.

“I don’t want him to stop and smell the roses of just winning a couple of matches.

“I understand why he hasn’t in the past won matches at slams — he treats these tournaments, the grand slams, as the prize.

“He feels like his career is going to be measured on that, and that’s probably impeded his ability to win in the past, but hopefully he’s getting much more trustworthy of himself. That’s important.”

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
this man is a joke since he works for TA =S

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Yes, and Nadal has the best volleys on tour

This site is killing me today :haha:

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
I concur

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
Mark Woodforde believes Matosevic will become more than a dangerous floater once the volatile Victorian learns to control his emotions — on and off the court.

“I see him being a really dangerous player in these big tournaments,” Woodforde said.

I mean, geez, he just knocked out a guy who had Andy Murray on the ropes last year in the quarter-finals, two sets to love, and did well last week.

“That’s where I see Marinko has that ability to do that. He’s just starting. He’s got some good years ahead of him, some really good years ahead of him.”

As Matosevic prepares to face Frenchman Jeremy Chardy on Wednesday night, Woodforde continues to counsel against emotional extremes.

“As with every player, controlling their emotions, being professional, making logical choices on the court, sometimes is at the right time, but you’ve got to have that base,” Woodforde said.

“And that’s what everyone’s trying to provide for him.

It’s a good team around him … and that helps him. He wants to feel good and look good on the court, and that helps him play good.

“It can be frustrating because I see a level that he can reach, and he’s not near that yet, so as a coach I think you keep pushing him.

“Sometimes that annoys him, because I do expect a lot from him, but that keeps him nose to the ground, head down.

“I don’t want him to stop and smell the roses of just winning a couple of matches.

“I understand why he hasn’t in the past won matches at slams — he treats these tournaments, the grand slams, as the prize.

“He feels like his career is going to be measured on that, and that’s probably impeded his ability to win in the past, but hopefully he’s getting much more trustworthy of himself. That’s important.”
Strong logic.

·
Registered
12,469 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
wont happen though hes taken out cilic tsonga and verdasco over the last few weeks some good names there

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Rosol beat the guy who has 14 grand slams.

Rosol has 14 grand slams.
No, for Rosol the logic would be:
Rosol beat the guy who has 14 slams.
Rosol can be dangerous to anyone. Question how often though.

For Matsovic:
Matsovic has recently beaten Verdasco and Tsongsa and Cilic.
Matsovic can be dangerous to rank 10 and below. And he has repeated that level.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Woodforde is probably the only one who does.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts