Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mats Wilander, who was regularly mentioned as a possible coach for Andy Murray before the player took up with Ivan Lendl, thinks the Scot is “a tactical genius” and a threat to everyone left in the draw of the French Open.

While the Swede is not in the frame this time – “I didn’t say no, as I wasn’t asked,” he says – he still takes a keen interest in a player he regards as the most interesting on the Tour.

“I was very impressed with him,” Wilander said of the last-16 victory against Fernando Verdasco. “He is a tactical genius – even on clay – when his mind is switched on. He played great against [Philipp] Kohlschreiber but from the first point onwards against Verdasco he was really dictating play.”

Wilander, in Paris for Eurosport, said: “When he defends he is as good as anybody but he was really aggressive with his backhand. He was also hitting his forehand as well as I’ve seen him hit the forehand and Ivan Lendl will be very proud of what he’s watching.”

The seven-times grand slam champion is particularly impressed by the growing power and early strike of Murray’s backhand. He said: “First of all it is timing, he’s timing it so well. He hits some backhands which are literally right after the bounce. He’s hitting the target with his forehands as well but really the backhand is the one which I think he relies on. The backhand isn’t what necessarily won him the match but it caused so many problems for Verdasco and he didn’t have any answers to that shot at all.

“The strength of his upper body is unbelievable. The ball shoots through the court; more so than Novak Djokovic’s backhand at the moment. If you allow Andy Murray to do what he did it’s nearly impossible to beat him. He is great at making adjustments and if he is as confident as he is now then he’s a danger to all of them.”

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jun/03/andy-murray-genius-mats-wilander-french-open-2014

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Re: M. Wilander: "Murray is a tactical genius. He's a danger to all of them"

Finally someone notices that Djokovic's backhand isn't the best at all.
And it's true that Mugray beats his opponent with his power more than anything else.
With the moonballing, Mugray is arguably the new Nadal.
I wouldn't be suprised at all if he wins this Fench Open.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts

And it's true that Mugray beats his opponent with his power more than anything else.
Wilander is a Djokovic hater so his opinion is irrelevant on this subject.Djokovic has a backhand than anyone on tour not really a disscusion.But all of this doesn't matter he won't beat either Nadal or Murray

·
Registered
3,888 Posts

Good grief are some people losing their minds over Murray beating Verdasco today or what? Fernando fucking Verdasco, who hasn't been a true threat on a tennis court in god knows how long. Yea Murray played well which is expected but we all know Murray rarely follows up vintage performances with another good performance. If Monfils has gas in the tank he's going to get everything he wants and then some. Nothing special at all about Murray's play this entire tournament unless you're easily impressed by a guy grabbing multiple body parts as if he's in pain when he starts playing a bad patch of tennis. The only thing Andy is a danger to is himself, he's no threat here lmfao.

·
Banned
1,570 Posts

Wilander is a Djokovic hater so his opinion is irrelevant on this subject.Djokovic has a backhand than anyone on tour not really a disscusion.But all of this doesn't matter he won't beat either Nadal or Murray
Better backhand than wawrinka too?

·
Registered
3,888 Posts

Gulbis' backhand has been better than both guys if we're strictly talking this tournament alone. He's not missing it like well ever!

·
Registered
24,311 Posts

Someone who is paid to give a positive review of Murray. The slightest hint at Murray not having a chance of winning this, and the commentators cut him off and ... or Annabel Croft after the Verdasco match told Murray "how did you dismantle that game?" Murray responded "it was not dismantling... was a very tough match." Eurosport is simply paid to act like MurrayTards. Murray is going to get crushed by Rafa in the semis if he survives Monfils .. tactical genius or not. Then we go to grass and Nadal will roast that ass yet again.

·
Registered
6,407 Posts

He doesn't have the DTL as good as Djokovic but the slice and CC BH is better.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts

He doesn't have the DTL as good as Djokovic but the slice and CC BH is better.
not sure what the humble one thinks? that cc bh has done some damage.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts

Someone who is paid to give a positive review of Murray. The slightest hint at Murray not having a chance of winning this, and the commentators cut him off and ... or Annabel Croft after the Verdasco match told Murray "how did you dismantle that game?" Murray responded "it was not dismantling... was a very tough match." Eurosport is simply paid to act like MurrayTards. Murray is going to get crushed by Rafa in the semis if he survives Monfils .. tactical genius or not. Then we go to grass and Nadal will roast that ass yet again.
I would not put it like this, but this is true nonetheless.

Note to OP. What Wilander says does not qualify as news - please remove his output from your newsbotting!

·
Registered
11,780 Posts

:), what a Trollander. :cool:

Hey Mats, when Andrew beats someone in the top 20 this year, other than the awful Tsonga in Miami, then talk about his tactical genius might become relevant.

He's no danger to any top 10 player on clay. For all his genius tactics, he couldn't even beat head case Fognini in Davis Cup when it was all on the line. So sad.

He has had a generous draw at Roland Garros so far, not playing anyone in the top 20, and may his fortune continue against #23 Monfils.

He will be in shock if he has to face either in-form Ferrer or Nadal on Roland Garros Chatrier.

I expect Mr. Murray, OBE, to get to top 10 level at some point soon, but not on clay.

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Banned
2,609 Posts

I agree Muggay is a tactical genius, as he was able to sell himself as one of the "big 4" despite not being close to good enough, selling himself as British even though his real feelings are in the public record and forcing the BBC/ATP to team up and give him 2 slams, getting sponsorships, fangirls, and even a girlfriend, despite his looks and personality, and appealing to the internet feminist hysteria that is swarming in tennis fandom for cash dollars :yeah:

·
Registered
21,308 Posts

:yeah:
Whose opinion should we value? Mats Wilander or MTF commenters?

·
Registered
889 Posts

Who's opinion holds more weight, an idiot like Wilander? Perhaps the MTF trolls? Or perhaps even the MTF members who aren't trolls.

Murray isn't a tactical genius, far from it. A tactical genius finds ways to beat his closest rivals consistently. Many of us have said it for a long time, Murray has a similar game to Novak, but clearly the overall records don't show that. There's nothing obvious that says Murray is a tactician, in fact, he was taken to 5 by Kohls and 3 tough sets against Verdasco, so nothing there.

Mats doesn't give us any meaningful analysis. If Murray isn't playing Rusedski's analysis is quite good, but he also is very biased when Murray plays.

·
Registered
27,181 Posts

I'm sure you would endorse these so called "experts" in the same way if they said something negative about Murray.

·
Onwards and Upwards!
46,335 Posts

Andy has moments of pure genius, that's true. His tactics and variety are what make him very formidable and Wilander is correct about his backhand. That said, he's not an unbeatable goliath and he's nowhere near the genius that Wilander is hyping him up to be. Tactical beast? Yes. Genius? Not quite.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts

He said "at the moment" but ignore it to fit your Djoko hating. Andy has an amazing backhand but is not Djoko level. Still one of the best ever though :)

He is going way overboard though. Acting like he is unbeatable when playing at his best? Nope, peak Djoko and peak Roger are still better. Let me guess he was discussing this with some British pundits ;) They are quite annoyingly biased over here, like they are anywhere.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts

Mugray's tactics is pushing, even on grass.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts