Mens Tennis Forums banner

Lyon R2 Shapovalov d. Humbert 2-6 7-6 6-2

2K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  TheLastJedi 
#1 ·
Strong win from Denis. He's maturing even if he still blows far too many points by going for difficult winners instead of keeping the ball in play. He was distracted by a bad call in the 1st set and dropped his level, but regained his composure in the 2nd and victory was nid in the 3rd.

He still tries to play HC tennis and even if he does have the firepower he really needs to adapt his game a bit more to clay.

Humbert has a very good game and is also 20 (although he will turn 21 this year), so it was psychologically an important win for Denis. The match probably doesn't deserve a thread, but as there's not much else going on...

#7 ·
Well it was a blatantly bad call! Denis did stop playing and it was plain to see to anyone watching. In the heat of the moment that's how you react. I think Denis was right to challenge, but as everyone knows a made call by an umpire will never be retracted by a supervisor.

#12 ·
That was a really bad call, but didn't deserve the implosion that followed. Umpiring on clay is traditionally terrible for everyone involved. Have to accept this fact and move on.
Quite childish response by Shapo. Especially in front of such partisan crowd. Could've easily cost him - he was within two points of losing. Saved himself with an ace and a couple close FH's. So he got a little lucky. Though after that he fought back and showed good composure. Mostly... Still, was serving for the second set and broke himself by DF'ing. Nonetheless, a win is a win is a win. And a win on clay is straight out a victory.

#13 ·
Not a childish response at all. I'm well aware of the difficulty of judging close calls on clay (and how wrong these calls can be). But this had nothing to do with a bad line call. It was bad umpiring. "I have made my decision" was Ramos first response when Denis flipped out (and Ramos knew he was in the wrong).
And from that point on the umpire cannot back down.
This was way beyond a mistake. Partisan crowd? Like that should matter! And there was virtually no booing from the crowd who saw it with their own eyes. Have you seen the whole thing?

I get what you're saying - how futile it is to challenge the umpire when you know he will win. But I disagree. This was cheating to help Humbert, and therefore Ramos is a corrupt umpire. I think corrupt umpires should be challenged.

#19 ·
But the REAL question is, was the serve IN or OUT? Cuz if it was out, it should have 100% been either a 2nd serve or a DF.

BUT, if the serve was actually IN, then it's Denis' own fault for stopping play because he "thought" it was out. He challenged the fact that there was no "out" call, stopped play, and then what? If he was actaully wrong and the ball was indeed in, then it's his own fault for stopping play and he should lose the point.

This is exactly the same thing when players challenge a close call (usually on the baseline) when they think the ball was out and no call was made; but then when the hawkeye shows the mark, it turns out it was actually in, which means the player automatically loses the point for being wrong.

So assuming the serve was good, the only way the point could have been replayed was if there was an "out" call by either the linesperson the umpire as Denis was about to hit the ball, which would have distracted him and potentially "caused" the shank, but that clearly wasn't the case here. So I'm not sure what he's complaining about here, he should stop blaming others and take more responsibility for his actions.
The umpire refused to grant him a challenge, claiming he didn't stop the point. Which he clearly did. Ramos even agreed Denis walked to the mark to circle it. However, he "didn't stop the point". How these two facts can coexist in one's mind is beyond me. On HC players walk to the mark, stare at it for good 10 seconds and then challenge on a daily basis. But that's Ramos. He's as anal as they come. If in his opinion you weren't explicit enough with your challenging, you're screwed. Shapovalov isn't a seasoned tour veteran. Might not know him so well, might not have experienced many similar situations yet. Will have to learn to deal with them better, as there are many more to come in the future.

#16 ·
The problem is two-fold.

First, enough with no system to call the lines on clay. Technology is available and if they need to refine it then do so. These tournaments make millions of dollars and they certainly have the funds. If not, find them.

Second, yes, Denis is very emotional on court and he needs to reign that in. Most of the time he does, but I agree w/ him here. This is unprofessional line-calling and he's had a lot of bad calls during this clay season. However, Monsi makes a good point. These kinds of reactions can cost him matches. You don't want that to start happening, because it can become a pattern. Nevertheless, I've never seen him react like this on any other surface where Hawkeye is available. This is thoroughly unprofessional for clay court tournaments to go on like this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.