Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
|
16,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lyon Open tournament director Thierry Ascione says he thinks Swiss tennis legend Roger Federer will back the French Open over his own Laver Cup as will many other players. Due to the cancelation of several tennis tournaments, the French Tennis Federation has moved the French Open to September which means it would clash with the Laver Cup, which is backed by Federer's own company.

Speaking to Express Sport, Ascione says, "I cannot imagine [Federer misses the French Open] to be honest. I can't for the moment. I cannot imagine that players prefer to play the Laver Cup than the French Open. But if they do I don't have answers to this because I think it is impossible.
I think if they play Laver Cup instead of Roland Garros they do what they want. That's their career but I think they have to move something or I don't know. Honestly, I can understand that it is a private conversation and private economic things.
But to think the Laver Cup is more important than Wimbledon or Roland Garros, there is no... in terms of fans, history, I am sure the players will go to the French Open. If they don't that is their choice but I am French, that's my point of view."

Ascione does agree that the French Federation did not make their decision and announcement in the right manner by not consulting the tennis authorities but maintains that the clay court Grand Slam remains more important than the Laver Cup.
"It's tough to talk about that because what is the most important? Laver Cup or French Open? Even if the Laver Cup has the date and they have been doing it for three years now, I think for the tennis world and the institution of tennis the Grand Slam is much more important than the Laver Cup.
I cannot imagine that somebody is saying something different than this. Moving Roland Garros is good move, but the way it has been done is maybe not the right way. I think the most important thing in tennis is the Grand Slams."

·
God loves a trier
4,770 Posts
The Laver Cup is Fed's baby, a legacy tournament into which he's invested a lot.

Why would he kill it, just to appease the evil shits who stole its place on the calendar?

Everybody knows that, under ordinary circumstances, the FO is more important than the Laver Cup.

But what is even more important is to stand up to bullies.

If the FO is held this year, it will be a fake tournament played by a handful of mercenaries. There will be no ranking points. And the winners will have a big fat asterisk beside their name.

Meanwhile, the true tennis community will find an alternative tournament, and source of income, for its lower-ranked players.

·
|
16,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Laver Cup is Fed's baby, a legacy tournament into which he's invested a lot.

Why would he kill it, just to appease the evil shits who stole its place on the calendar?

Everybody knows that, under ordinary circumstances, the FO is more important than the Laver Cup.

But what is even more important is to stand up to bullies.

If the FO is held this year, it will be a fake tournament played by a handful of mercenaries. There will be no ranking points. And the winners will have a big fat asterisk beside their name.

Meanwhile, the true tennis community will find an alternative tournament, and source of income, for its lower-ranked players.
But the ranking points are irrelevant in 2020, so the ATP is therefore irrelevant, and only the slams and prize money is relevant.
But I doubt Federer will play the French Open, as he has no chance whatsoever, because the US Open will tire him, and because Rafa and Thiem are both playing Roland Garros-

·
God loves a trier
4,770 Posts
But the ranking points are irrelevant in 2020, so the ATP is therefore irrelevant, and only the slams and prize money is relevant.
But I doubt Federer will play the French Open, as he has no chance whatsoever, because Rafa and Thiem are both playing it-
In a year of crisis like 2020, what is most relevant is to behave with a little bit of decency and community spirit.

It's extremely unlikely the FO will be held anyway.

But the damage to its reputation has been done and won't go away.

If it holds a fake tournament during a pandemic once, then it will become a fake tournament forever. And the players who participate will go down in infamy.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
President of French Tennis Federation made himself look very bad, if Roger was skipping the French Open to play the Laver Cup that would make him look bad too, and I am pretty sure he wouldn't do that.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Plot Twist: Federer will play St. Peterburg because he wants the ranking points neither Laver Cup nor RG can offer.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts

"Stole its place on the calendar"
and didn't the Laver Cup do exactly that in 2017, choosing a week when ATP tournaments are played? 😃
Metz and St Petersburg have very often featured top 10 players (Dominic Thiem, Jo Tsonga, etc.).

·
God loves a trier
4,770 Posts
"Stole its place on the calendar"
and didn't the Laver Cup do exactly that in 2017, choosing a week when ATP tournaments are played? 😃
Metz and St Petersburg have very often featured top 10 players (Dominic Thiem, Jo Tsonga, etc.).
False equivalence.

The Laver Cup was set up following extensive consultation and was approved by the wider tennis community.

There is no comparison between that carefully coordinated move and the FO's unilateral grab.

Moreover, the FO has now vacated its normal place in the calendar. There's no reason why it should ever get it back.

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
Once again, it is not only about Laver Cup.

There is a tremendous scale difference between a 2 week+ slam on a completely different surface at that time of year, with probably top 150 players including qualifiers overrunning 8 ATP tournaments and 10 WTA tournaments, and 3 day Laver Cup with its 12 top players inserted during 2 ATP tournaments with mostly journeymen players. There is very little overlap. So the Laver Cup might have scooped up a couple of vultures. Big deal. Please, one cannot seriously compare what monster FFT and French Open did, with Laver Cup's insertion into the calendar. That is a gigantic false equivalence logical fallacy for anyone trying to employ it.

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
False equivalence.

The Laver Cup was set up following extensive consultation and was approved by the wider tennis community.

There is no comparison between that carefully coordinated move and the FO's unilateral grab.

Moreover, the FO has now vacated its normal place in the calendar. There's no reason why it should ever get it back.
Well stated.

Respectfully,
masterclass

Reactions: The Federest

·
|
16,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In a year of crisis like 2020, what is most relevant is to behave with a little bit of decency and community spirit.

It's extremely unlikely the FO will be held anyway.

But the damage to its reputation has been done and won't go away.

If it holds a fake tournament during a pandemic once, then it will become a fake tournament forever. And the players who participate will go down in infamy.
I guarantee the French Open will be played this year.
The only question is the US Open.

·
Banned
5,792 Posts
Laver Cup is an irrelevant exho, an ego-toy for Mirka and her puppet husband to arselick their luxury sponsors and peacock in front of their Cult. Of course they will dish RG, a slam Mirka's husband has no chance whatsoever to get pass first week at, in favour of that utterly irrelevant exho.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Laver Cup is an irrelevant exho, an ego-toy for Mirka and her puppet husband to arselick their luxury sponsors and peacock in front of their Cult. Of course they will dish RG, a slam Mirka's husband has no chance whatsoever to get pass first week at, in favour of that utterly irrelevant exho.
It's interesting to see that this topic also moves along the lines of the never-ending-battle between fans of Nadal and Federer...
In my case I'm a huge supporter of Federer and have disliked Nadal since always :D but in this case I do think the RG has priority over the Laver Cup. But I wouldn't say that the Laver Cup is an irrelevant exho. It is a very interesting concept and that's why a lot of people go and watch it

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Federer may believe he's bigger than Roland Garros. Laver Cup, pardon, Federer Cup is a money maker though. In a WWE sort of way.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Not getting past the first week like last year you mean? You seem to have a very short memory

1 - 20 of 57 Posts