Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/7272126.stm

Federico Luzzi has become the fifth Italian tennis player to be banned by the ATP for betting on matches. The world number 139, who plays mainly on the challenger circuit, was found guilty of gambling on 836 matches.

Luzzi, 28, has been suspended for 200 days and fined US$500,000.

Fellow Italian Giorgio Galimberti was banned earlier in February, following compatriots Potito Starace, Daniele Bracciali and Alessio Di Mauro.

Luzzi was found by the ATP to have "wagered 273 times on 836 tennis matches between May 2004 and April 2007" and once placed a bet on himself to win a match.

However, the ATP confirmed the player was not found to have made any attempt to "affect the outcome of any tennis match".

The fine of US$500,000 is considerable, bearing in mind Luzzi has career earnings of US$540,892.

Edit: The fine should read US$50,000 not US$500,000 (BBC typo)

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
Ludicrous fine. What do the ATP expect to achieve except to scapegoating a single player?

·
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC
41,217 Posts
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/7272126.stm

Federico Luzzi has become the fifth Italian tennis player to be banned by the ATP for betting on matches. The world number 139, who plays mainly on the challenger circuit, was found guilty of gambling on 836 matches.

Luzzi, 28, has been suspended for 200 days and fined US$500,000.

Fellow Italian Giorgio Galimberti was banned earlier in February, following compatriots Potito Starace, Daniele Bracciali and Alessio Di Mauro.

Luzzi was found by the ATP to have "wagered 273 times on 836 tennis matches between May 2004 and April 2007" and once placed a bet on himself to win a match.

However, the ATP confirmed the player was not found to have made any attempt to "affect the outcome of any tennis match".

The fine of US$500,000 is considerable, bearing in mind Luzzi has career earnings of US$540,892.

Ouch :eek:
Then why give him such a big fine? edit, BBC wrong not that big, but still ouch.

Unless a player is betting on himself to lose, I'm at a loss to see what the big deal is.

·
Registered
7,354 Posts
thats so unfair, he only bet on 836 matches.

on another note, it seems to be only italians who are getting banned

·
Premium Member
12,570 Posts
The suspension is spot on (836 matches :rolleyes:).

And it looks like the most suspicious one among Italian players will get away in this "investigation".

ummm, how can the number of wagers be less than the number of matches?

maybe my brain isn't working right atm.
I assume parlays and outright bets are involved.

·
Registered
73,673 Posts
like i said several times italians are known fixers when it comes to sports. just look at soccer. you shouldn't even get involved into any italian soccer match. it's a very corrupt league.

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
ummm, how can the number of wagers be less than the number of matches?

maybe my brain isn't working right atm.
Bets on multiples (also known as accumulators, parlays etc).

The fine is $50,000 btw.

The number of bets placed is quite normal for someone active in betting over a three year period. Most gamblers place many more bets.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
This is soooo STUPID! :mad:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.