Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, as you guys know, I do sportswriting (as can be seen in my signature). I've covered the U.S. Open for the last few years, was credentialed to cover the New York Empire of World Team Tennis last year for the first time and now, the trifecta of sorts is completed in terms of New York tennis events as I will covering the New York Open :)

Here we can, as the title says, talk about the tournament as it unfolds. There are some changes to the Entry List, but as the tournament has not announced it yet, i'll wait for them to do so. I will be providing the content and I hope you guys enjoy this thread :)

·
Registered
738 Posts
Enjoy yourself, and keep us up to date! I am currently wondering about Sock and Mmoh. They were both on the entry list as being directly accepted, but I have seen at least one source that suggests some changes.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Enjoy yourself, and keep us up to date! I am currently wondering about Sock and Mmoh. They were both on the entry list as being directly accepted, but I have seen at least one source that suggests some changes.
Thank you and the tournament will have an announcement on Jack's status in the next day or so. As for Mmoh, nothing I heard as of today changes his status.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is Hewitt playing in doubles. i think he was going to play with De Minaur.
Didn’t discuss that with anyone, so i'll just assume he is. On the tournament's Instagram account, it was announced he would with a big poster and all.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,631 Posts
Kei won't be there this year. Will be interesting to see who wins it.
@lupojohn is the court 'layout' the same as last year?

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kei won't be there this year. Will be interesting to see who wins it.

@lupojohn is the court 'layout' the same as last year?
Yes. They are constructing the Grandstand court as we speak.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
So it's the two blackish-colored courts with one horizontal and the other vertical? I live on LI, but didn't attend it last year and likely won't this year!!

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,631 Posts
So it's the two blackish-colored courts with one horizontal and the other vertical? I live on LI, but didn't attend it last year and likely won't this year!!
I assume so. I got used to that colour actually. It looks alright, somewhat a throwback (Laver Cup also does that). Admittedly lineup could be stronger. You should consider going at least once in the future, given few have the privilege of attending any tennis tournament in their own backyard.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The color of the court is the same as last year, yes.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
FWIW, I got to see the 2018 USO live. I went to 4th round and saw Sharapova lose to Suarez-Navarro, but also unfortunately I see Rogie lose to Millman!! I even got to see Rafa practice, I was standing behind a fence and literally that close to him when he stood near the fence to talk to his coach...

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Opening Night legends match is going to be Andy Roddick vs Jim Courier on Saturday at 7:30.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
last year i was getting emails offering free entrance (might have been just for 1 person though). i passed on it since i'm a very big olympics fan. but since there is no conflict this year if they offer the same this year, i'd probably go weather permitting.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The tournament just put out a release confirming Anderson and de Minaur missing out due to injury. Also, Mmoh has withdrawn. Rumor i'm hearing is Jack is out and will need elbow surgery.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
last year i was getting emails offering free entrance (might have been just for 1 person though). i passed on it since i'm a very big olympics fan. but since there is no conflict this year if they offer the same this year, i'd probably go weather permitting.
Who offered? Would be interested

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Who offered? Would be interested
received email from usta eastern thursday night the night before fridays matches

i'm not sure if there were other free offers earlier in tourney or for saturday.

the link from the email now defaults to this years tourney.

below was on the face of the email - not sure if was good for more than 1 person

"Come to the New York Open for Free on Feb. 16

Print this email and present it to the box office for free entry during the day or evening session on Friday, February 16. Don't miss this great opportunity to enjoy pro tennis!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts