Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Novak has an amazing draw that will help him get to finals easily and likely get him the slam.

At the round of 16, Novak’s likely opponents are:
R16: Schwartzman
QF: Raonic/Cilic
SF: Fed
F: Nadal

Nobody of these is a threat. Novak favored to win all of these matches.

When I look at the other half, I see 6 out of the 8 players that are there could all have troubled Novak.

(Below * marks a player possible threat to Novak)

Medvedev*
Wawrinka*
Zverev*
Rublev*
Theim*
Kyrgios*
Nadal
Monfils

Nole got it lucky this time, and is likely to retain the title, without needing to beat any of the young “killer” generation.

·
Registered
973 Posts
This is not something to be proud of as a Novak fan... But yes on paper if Rafa wins by going through NK, Thiem, Medvedev and Novak then his draw would have been waaaay harder.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Novak has an amazing draw that will help him get to finals easily and likely get him the slam.

At the round of 16, Novak’s likely opponents are:
R16: Schwartzman
QF: Raonic/Cilic
SF: Fed
F: Nadal

Nobody of these is a threat. Novak favored to win all of these matches.

When I look at the other half, I see 6 out of the 8 players that are there could all have troubled Novak.

(Below * marks a player possible threat to Novak)

Medvedev*
Wawrinka*
Zverev*
Rublev*
Theim*
Kyrgios*
Nadal
Monfils

Nole got it lucky this time, and is likely to retain the title, without needing to beat any of the young “killer” generation.
Medvedev & Stan were in Novak's quarter at the last AO & USO, and Stan numerous times at AO/USO before.

Yep, those two are pretty dangerous dark horses, but all the other are not on their level at AO i.e. they are all still easier opponents at bo5 HC slam for any Fedalovic, Thiem included (one HC QF in career and he is seed no.4 here).

Zverev e.g. has reached two HC slam 4R so far and Tsitsipas was arguably the most difficult 5-8 seeded player this AO, so, even if Medvedev were in Novak's half they could meet in SF not in 3R/4R anymore when Medvedev would still be fresh and Novak possibly still rusty.

·
External factor expert
4,211 Posts
So Djokovic has to get past Cilic in the QF whos a former grandslam champion, in the semi finals he will most likely face Federer, a champion that holds 6 AO titles, 20 in total. Federer also prevailed in their last encounter.
Now lets not forget the icing on the cake, the one that pushed Djokovic to 6 hours in 2012 holding 19 grandslams.

Thats one hella cakedraw indeed.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
So Djokovic has to get past Cilic in the QF whos a former grandslam champion, in the semi finals he will most likely face Federer, a champion that holds 6 AO titles, 20 in total. Federer also prevailed in their last encounter.
Now lets not forget the icing on the cake, the one that pushed Djokovic to 6 hours in 2012 holding 19 grandslams.

Also, in the last five AO Raonic has reached four QF stages, including 2016 SF when Murray was saved by the injury.

Seed no.14 Schwartzman is currently better bo5 player than Rublev/Shapo/Khachanov.

·
Banned
3,346 Posts
How the hell is Federer not a threat to Novak. Federer is very capable of beating him. Zverev and Rublev won’t do shit so they aren’t threats to anyone.

·
Your visions will happen
52,921 Posts
This is not something to be proud of as a Novak fan... But yes on paper if Rafa wins by going through NK, Thiem, Medvedev and Novak then his draw would have been waaaay harder.
If Nadal does that, he's the GOAT

Good to see you here Yoda but you know Cilic has been out of form for a while and just now regained it, Fed got very lucky to beat Millman, and Nadal if he gets to the F will be already destroyed

Djokovic cannot afford to lose AO even before this draw, but especially not now

·
Registered
133 Posts
He still will have to beat Federer and Nadal back to back probably, which is something only done twice in a slam (one by him). If Federer loses before SFs and Medvedev reaches final after tough battles then it would be comparable to Nadal's US Open 17 and 19 farces.

·
Premium Member
26,198 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,198 Posts
Federer is easy?someone has forgotten who was the Australian open champion for 2 of the last 3 years
Federer is in dire form according to his last 2 matches, compared to his high standards.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Federer is in dire form according to his last 2 matches, compared to his high standards.
one thing about being 38 years old is that he can't maintain top notch form consistently,but he might very well bring out his best when facing Djokovic

on the other hand, raonic is in super duper form right now, I think the possibility that he upsets Djokovic for the first time is not negligible

·
Registered
18,425 Posts
Federer is definitely a threat, but Novak would much rather play him than Wawrinka or Medvedev (or probably even Kyrgios). Lots more familiarity with Fed's game as well as his success against him in Australia (3-1 against him in Australia, with the last 3 being the only relevant ones)

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
“Lucky” schmucky. Fedovic's draws r hardIy any different. If & when the best 2 of AO meet in SF, winner of it wouId arguabIy have had the toughest draw.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
one thing about being 38 years old is that he can't maintain top notch form consistently,but he might very well bring out his best when facing Djokovic

on the other hand, raonic is in super duper form right now, I think the possibility that he upsets Djokovic for the first time is not negligible
Forget about it - I will be surprised if Rao even reaches a breaker.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts