Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,559 Posts
SF points will take a hit. What is the injury he is carrying?

I do feel for Lucas. He is one of those players I think everyone felt could have a solid top 16 career. He's had his ups but he's never been able to show unbridled consistency considering his "talent". Another "French" fry. Tasty but only for a short time.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
A shame.

Pouille is the modern day French version of Nicolas Escude.

They basically have the carbon copy of 'best slam performances' on their resume eg

Both have reached the semi's of the Australian Open + Quarters of the French + Quarters of Wimbledon.

·
Registered
7,315 Posts
A shame.

They basically have the carbon copy of 'best slam performances' on their resume eg

Both have reached the semi's of the Australian Open + Quarters of the French + Quarters of Wimbledon.
Even though Nicolas Escude reached his only slam semifinal on hard court, I feel his best surface was clearly grass, and his net game was clearly superior to Lucas Pouille.

A shame for Lucas, hope he will be at 100% for the clay season.

·
Registered
771 Posts
SF points will take a hit. What is the injury he is carrying?

I do feel for Lucas. He is one of those players I think everyone felt could have a solid top 16 career. He's had his ups but he's never been able to show unbridled consistency considering his "talent". Another "French" fry. Tasty but only for a short time.
Right elbow, not dissimilar to Kei's.
Mostly affecting his serve -- he had better and worse days during the season, took two months off, decided to test it in Saudi Arabia but had to withdraw after one match because the pain returned. On a few occasions he tried to hit a 'normal' serve in that match he was missing it by miles and spent most of the match just spinning 160-170kmh serves (and even then ended up missing about half of them).

·
Registered
771 Posts
A shame.

QF at US Open, not Roland Garros but yep, they are very similar in terms of best tournament results. Both also won the deciding 5th rubber in Davis Cup final)
Both were relatively late bloomers, breaking into Top 100 at 21. And Escude's career was de facto derailed by injury when he was 26 years old -- Lucas is turning 26 in February...

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,559 Posts
Right elbow, not dissimilar to Kei's.
Mostly affecting his serve -- he had better and worse days during the season, took two months off, decided to test it in Saudi Arabia but had to withdraw after one match because the pain returned. On a few occasions he tried to hit a 'normal' serve in that match he was missing it by miles and spent most of the match just spinning 160-170kmh serves (and even then ended up missing about half of them).
thanks for this information. That does sound serious so I wish him the best with the recovery and wisdom from his team in managing that. Did he have surgery done on it?

·
Registered
771 Posts
thanks for this information. That does sound serious so I wish him the best with the recovery and wisdom from his team in managing that. Did he have surgery done on it?
No, they opted for conservative treatment -- one has to wonder if it's gonna be enough... Though his manager downplayed concerns a bit, telling L'Equipe that the problem/pain now appears to be not as serious as the one that forced Lucas shut down the season at Shanghai.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I've been critical of his ranking for most of the year but yeah it is sad when a player can't defend lots of points from a tournament due to injury and drops down the standings.

Hopefully he can return quickly in 2020 and build himself up again.

·
Your visions will happen
48,564 Posts
A shame.

I thought Escude made a Wimbledon F, no? Or was that Pioline in '97, yes I think it was Pioline

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
QF at US Open, not Roland Garros but yep, they are very similar in terms of best tournament results. Both also won the deciding 5th rubber in Davis Cup final)
Both were relatively late bloomers, breaking into Top 100 at 21. And Escude's career was de facto derailed by injury when he was 26 years old -- Lucas is turning 26 in February...
UGH!.. Ah yes,I should've checked what I wrote as I know both haven't performed that well at the French.You're right.Both made the Quarters of the US and not the French.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts