Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An irish person won a challenger! :yippee: Finally someone for irish fans to cheer from apart from Conor niland :help:

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts
That's fantastic! :bigclap: Always check the results pages at the end of each week to see what the lads get up to, and it's nice to see one or two making more positive progress. :yeah:

This should boost Louk from #320 to just inside top #250! Will easily surpass his previous career high (#274 - 22/10/07).

Has to defend a lot of points, though, in a month's time - UAE F1 and F2, where he scored RU and W finishes).

Know anything about the way he plays FB?

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
Although I'm British [English] I still cheer Ireland on in the sports arena.. Great to see Sorensen score a challenger win.
Just hoping he can defend those points and possibly push on even further up the rankings.. :yeah:

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
That is damn impressive. I wonder how long it has been since an Irishman won an ITF title. Well done Louk. I will keep an eye out to see if he can build on this. He should have a good chance now to get into the RG and Wimbledon qualies now.

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nah, any time there is a tie in ireland im not there, which is a shame cos the Fitzwilliam tennis club where ireland holds its matches is a 5 minute walk from me! im hoping to see him in the Dublin challenger in July so ill let you know then

That is damn impressive. I wonder how long it has been since an Irishman won an ITF title. Well done Louk. I will keep an eye out to see if he can build on this. He should have a good chance now to get into the RG and Wimbledon qualies now.
Ive been following tennis since sep 2002 and the irish players quite regularily in that time and ive never seen any irishman win a challenger. Louk almost qualified for Munich last year but lost in last round of qualifying -: http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=100652

A fine Irish name if ever I saw one. Particularly common in County Tipperary as far as I know.

Nice to see him in form with a winnable DC tie against Morocco approaching.
:lol: yeah, he's no Óisín Ó Gormain but Ill settle for any irish guy who can win a match, regardless of name >D

·
Registered
97,309 Posts
Good stuff for Louk, he was winning some futures before, but it seems he lacked a breakthrough. Hopefully this was one.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Well done guess he has some Danish ancestors or something like that with his Sorensen name. Last year Robin Haase won guess he will be happy to be at haase's place next year

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Well done guess he has some Danish ancestors or something like that with his Sorensen name.
He lives in Germany and as far as I know he was even born here. Sörensen is a quite common name in the northern-most part of Germany close to the Danish border. But Louk is from Baden-Württemberg in the south. :shrug: In the early 80s there was an Irish player Sean Sorensen who later became one of the organizers of the Heilbronn challenger. I guess that's Louk's father.

·
Registered
97,309 Posts
Didn't his brother Kevin play for Germany? :scratch:

Anyway, Conor Niland lost in Kyoto today.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I've seen this guy play once in Davis Cup where he was dismantled by Jarkko Nieminen on autopilot.

He's one of those retrievers, fast guy without much power on either wing. Not a total wreck at the net but avoids getting there. A rather nondescript player but he has a tendency to slide even on indoor hard courts.

That was two years ago, and he's a young guy so he's probably refined his game a bit.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I've seen this guy play once in Davis Cup where he was dismantled by Jarkko Nieminen on autopilot.

He's one of those retrievers, fast guy without much power on either wing. Not a total wreck at the net but avoids getting there. A rather nondescript player but he has a tendency to slide even on indoor hard courts.

That was two years ago, and he's a young guy so he's probably refined his game a bit.
Interesting. I saw him playing quarters in Wolfsburg. I'd say power now is the one thing he really has. Sometimes he even grunted like Monica Seles. And he started serving three aces in a row in the first game. That's impressive especially as he is not exactly tall.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Great for Louk! Hope he can still improve and this was not only a lucky win.. Btw: Louk lives in Stuttgart in Germany and he plays for the TEC Waldau Stuttgart in the 2nd german league called "2. Bundesliga". Michael Berrer is also playing there.. maybe i can upload some pics of the last season in 2007 if someone is interested?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts