Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
this match is not until later today. any thoughts on this one. i think it has some implications for this tournament.

should Lopez win, he may just be able to stop Nadal in the 3rd round. Nadal, as you know, has major points to defend here.

If Lopez plays like he did in Dubai, it will be a long day at the office for Nadal who has not quite found his form yet. Nadal may just find it difficult to get any rhythm going with the way Lopez serves and plays.

thoughts on Lopez/Young match? does Young have a chance? i think Lopez should be able to overpower Young this time around.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I know I'll catch hell for this and it may be just optimism but I think Young has a shot.

When they played at the U.S. Open Lopez was playing like this, remember he managed to grab a set off Federer, and Young still managed to win a set and take another set to a breaker.

At the least I don't think it will be the brutal beatdown everyone expects.

I bet 300 Vcash on Young LOL.

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know I'll catch hell for this and it may be just optimism but I think Young has a shot.

When they played at the U.S. Open Lopez was playing like this, remember he managed to grab a set off Federer, and Young still managed to win a set and take another set to a breaker.

At the least I don't think it will be the brutal beatdown everyone expects.

I bet 300 Vcash on Young LOL.
fair enough. i dont have a problem with that. if Young can get a good read on his serve and hangs with him for a while, he certainly has a chance. the key for Young would be to grab grab the first set.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Lopez was playing well enough in Dubai to beat Nadal, no question, that is obvious. However Indian Wells is clearly playing a heck of a lot slower than Dubai was. I'm not say Lopez beating Nadal here is impossible but it is unlikely. It is not even sure Lopez will get past Young.

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lopez was playing well enough in Dubai to beat Nadal, no question, that is obvious. However Indian Wells is clearly playing a heck of a lot slower than Dubai was. I'm not say Lopez beating Nadal here is impossible but it is unlikely. It is not even sure Lopez will get past Young.

its the damn serve. Nadal just cant seem to return serve well enough on hard courts these days as if not being able to serve big was not enough of a problem for him.

hard courts are still hard courts and guys like Lopez and Roddick can be very tough on any hard courts.

i am already worried about that match. Nadal should not lose to Lopez but he is not exactly himself right now. i just think Nadal needs a couple of matches under his belt in order to start getting his teeth into the tournament. he will gun down Young but Lopez is a slightly more difficult proposition for him now.

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts
Really couldn't say to be honest...would love to be able to watch it. :awww:

As for the comment of Lopez potentially beating Nadal...not sure this is the venue he could do it at.

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Really couldn't say to be honest...would love to be able to watch it. :awww:

As for the comment of Lopez potentially beating Nadal...not sure this is the venue he could do it at.

i am watching Nadal right now against this Columbian who has a grand total or probably 2 atp matches under his belt. i have to say that i have never seen Nadal play this poorly. he just keeps getting worse and worse.

he (Nadal) will win this match obviously but he is playing miserable tennis.

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts
i am watching Nadal right now against this Columbian who has a grand total or probably 2 atp matches under his belt. i have to say that i have never seen Nadal play this poorly. he just keeps getting worse and worse.

he (Nadal) will win this match obviously but he is playing miserable tennis.
Sure, he isn't playing well...I was distinctly unimpressed with what I saw of him in Dubai last week.

But it isn't as if Lopez should get many free points against him, and we know that he isn't exactly scary from the back of the court...so I'd think that Nadal can grind him down. On a much faster court, this is less likely to be the case, but from what I've heard, conditions here are rather slow. :shrug:

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sure, he isn't playing well...I was distinctly unimpressed with what I saw of him in Dubai last week.

But it isn't as if Lopez should get many free points against him, and we know that he isn't exactly scary from the back of the court...so I'd think that Nadal can grind him down. On a much faster court, this is less likely to be the case, but from what I've heard, conditions here are rather slow. :shrug:

i hear you. meanwhile, i am still in shock/disbelief about how someone as talented as Nadal could have allowed himself to drop as much as he has. i mean i could give this Columbian a run for his money. The Columbian is serving around 66 mph with his second serves and still Nadal is not able to take advantage.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Nadal is just doing what he has to do to get past Giraldo. No need for him to play aggressive or fancy/flashy.

I hope against a better opponent he'll step it up though, it would be great to see him start playing like he was here last year.

Either way, I still think Nadal will beat the winner of the Lopez/Young match pretty easily.

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nadal is just doing what he has to do to get past Giraldo. No need for him to play aggressive or fancy/flashy.

I hope against a better opponent he'll step it up though, it would be great to see him start playing like he was here last year.

Either way, I still think Nadal will beat the winner of the Lopez/Young match pretty easily.

lets hope so anyway.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I gotta admit it's a little embarrassing to see this Giraldo dude pushing Nadal around the court.

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I gotta admit it's a little embarrassing to see this Giraldo dude pushing Nadal around the court.
it really is. i could not bear to watch. its as if Nadal has simply lost his way. i mean, if you cant break this guy`s serve who is throwing them in around 70 mph, whose serve can you break. he was 10 times better on hard courts in 2005.

i just dont see how his drastically diminished form does not translate into a couple of losses on clay.

it may take losing at Monte Carlo and Barcelona for him to wake up.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
58 MPH second serve :unsure:

Still, Giraldo is going for broke on a lot of his shots.

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Giraldo is playing a decent game, but... Indeed, watching Nadal is a bit painful at the moment..
affirmative. painful for sure. it is impossible for somebody as talented as him to not improve at 20 but somehow he found a way. he basically stopped improving after 2005.

he will be 22 in a couple of months. i say he is in real trouble unless he rededicates himself to the game.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts