Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
True that it's sad, but I've never cared for his attitude or game. His body has not been capable of competing for several years now and this comes as no surprise.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Wow, and I thought the injury wasn't serious. Those knees really are way too injury prone and it has happened time and time again. I guess this is why he wanted to wait until he was 100% earlier in the year and took so long to get back out there on the court despite being told that it would only take six weeks. Who knows when it will be the next time he plays again.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
With the one he's talking it looks like he's not done with tennis, and the injury doesn't sound that serious. So he might come back for indian wells qualies and miami qualies because he will make the cut with his protected ranking.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
I still thought he could get back on tour and make a decent go of it after the last couple of knee problems, but not anymore....the body just isn't willing.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Not a fan of his, but its sad that his body wont allow him to compete anymore. I didnt think the injury was serious at first, but it must be if it requires surgery.

·
Occasional Visitor
52,208 Posts
Not a fan of his, but its sad that his body wont allow him to compete anymore. I didnt think the injury was serious at first, but it must be if it requires surgery.
I'm not a fan of his either. I don't like his playing style or his personality, but I am still sad for the the guy, that he has been forced to end his career before he wishes due to injury. I wish him good luck in his future, whatever he chooses to do.

Reactions: Mimi

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
3 knee surgeries with another pending this time it is over.
more like 3 knee surgeries to his left knee by the age of 24, followed by a severe hyper-extension knee injury to the same knee in 2001 US Open. January this year he tore cartilage in his "good" right knee and has done it again in the exact same spot a little less then 12 months later.

So he's had 5 cartilage operations to his knees, amongst several ankle ligament tears, and back problems ect... ect..

It's been reported that he'll announce his retirement tomorrow.. he'll either be remembered as one of the biggest underachievers, or over-rated payers of the modern game... to me he's just a guy who had a beautiful serve, was exciting to watch because he played with gut instinct and dared to take chances when most players wouldn't. He loved the game.. no one would endure that many injuries and face so much ridicule and criticism if they didn't truly love the sport... but he also enjoyed everything else in life.

A lot of people think he's a loser because he partied too hard and had to much fun in his 20's... wasted his talent... I say no one's perfect.. some have the unique desire and personal drive to value their profession above all else... and others like Mark struggle to balance his career, family, friends, relationships and off-court hobbies.

I've followed Mark's career since 1996 when he beat Pete Sampras at the Australian Open... 11 years on and Mark is still somewhat of a mystery, he has been one of the most talked about Athletes in Australian sport, yet he has never given a proper candid tv interview and rarely defends himself against negative press. Guys like Rafter, Woodbridge, Newk, Cash have enjoyed taking a swipe a Mark over the years.. but I've come to admire the way Mark has never reduced himself to putting down others in the media.

There have been many mistakes and bad choices Mark has made throughout his career, which hogs the spotlight.. but there's also a lot of good memories and achievements along the way. I don't know if I'll ever take an interest in another player the same way as Mark, but It's been a fun and highly entertaining (always unpredictable) career and I will deeply miss him.

·
Registered
13,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
more like 3 knee surgeries to his left knee by the age of 24, followed by a severe hyper-extension knee injury to the same knee in 2001 US Open. January this year he tore cartilage in his "good" right knee and has done it again in the exact same spot a little less then 12 months later.

So he's had 5 cartilage operations to his knees, amongst several ankle ligament tears, and back problems ect... ect..

It's been reported that he'll announce his retirement tomorrow.. he'll either be remembered as one of the biggest underachievers, or over-rated payers of the modern game... to me he's just a guy who had a beautiful serve, was exciting to watch because he played with gut instinct and dared to take chances when most players wouldn't. He loved the game.. no one would endure that many injuries and face so much ridicule and criticism if they didn't truly love the sport... but he also enjoyed everything else in life.

A lot of people think he's a loser because he partied too hard and had to much fun in his 20's... wasted his talent... I say no one's perfect.. some have the unique desire and personal drive to value their profession above all else... and others like Mark struggle to balance his career, family, friends, relationships and off-court hobbies.

I've followed Mark's career since 1996 when he beat Pete Sampras at the Australian Open... 11 years on and Mark is still somewhat of a mystery, he has been one of the most talked about Athletes in Australian sport, yet he has never given a proper candid tv interview and rarely defends himself against negative press. Guys like Rafter, Woodbridge, Newk, Cash have enjoyed taking a swipe a Mark over the years.. but I've come to admire the way Mark has never reduced himself to putting down others in the media.

There have been many mistakes and bad choices Mark has made throughout his career, which hogs the spotlight.. but there's also a lot of good memories and achievements along the way. I don't know if I'll ever take an interest in another player the same way as Mark, but It's been a fun and highly entertaining (always unpredictable) career and I will deeply miss him.
I shed a tear. I have gotten to know Mark over the years due to my cousin playing with him when thew were young. I have always loved him not becuase he is Greek but becuase he is a kind wel mannered person much like myself. I honestly hope he does not announce his retirement tomorow.

If only he won Wimbledon...

·
Miss Fabray
55,507 Posts
Mark :bigcry:

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Sky news is reporting he'll retire.. some other news sources say he'll hold off until after surgery.. I find it hard to be optimistic Mark can recover from this one, it just seems like 1 too many.

·
Registered
13,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sky news is reporting he'll retire.. some other news sources say he'll hold off until after surgery.. I find it hard to be optimistic Mark can recover from this one, it just seems like 1 too many.
:sad:

·
Premium Member
24,626 Posts
Yes, it's really been a never-ending story with him for many years already. Sad somehow because I could enjoy his style of play pretty well and liked many of his matches.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts