Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During this year's BBC coverage of 'the wonderful fortnight', BBC had this poet Keith Wilson who read poems especially written for and about Wimby. Like one was about Tim Henman, another about the rain etc. Does anyone know where I can get the text of these poems? I've been on Wilson's website www.therealkeithwilson.com and on the Beeb's tennis site www.bbc.co.uk/wimbledon but I can't find these poems anywhere. Anyone who has any tips, please chime in. Thanks!

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Oh God, you can't be serious. Those dire pieces of verse absolutely ruined the BBC's coverage throughout Wimbledon - another one of their misguided attempts to try and bring a common touch to the whole thing, to get ordinary people involved and make the fortnight seem less elitist. Note to the producers - I've tuned in to watch tennis, not to listen to some pretentious Scouser bash out half-baked, facile poetry in the belief that he's making a great artistic statement. I mean, some of the contrived rhyming in there was absolutely tortuous. And they even let him close the whole broadcast! Forget the time-honoured closing orchestral theme we've been used to so for long, let's end our entire coverage of Wimbledon with a shot of this bloke sat on the ground mock-begging for change. Brilliant.

Anyway... um, no I don't know where they can be found. But I wish you every success in finding them, if that really is your sort of thing.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha ha, I really liked them, artistic dire or not. One thing though, why don't they use the classic Wimbledon tune anymore, the one that Wimbledon radio and the Dutch coverage still use. That tune is the best.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts