Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't remember the exact playing style that led Roddick to win the 2003 U.S. Open, but I know he had started adding spin to his game. Look at this clip: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=pxlrhGtF9Zo from the 2001 French Open and Roddick's shots are so flat. His forehand is hard and I like the form on his backhand back in 2001; nothing like his overly stiff topspin backhand that he plays with today. It annoys me. Since things aren't working that well for Roddick these days when it comes to Grand Slams, maybe he should flatten out his shots and just drive his shots more. It probably won't hurt to switch his game; he might surprise a lot of people.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
2001 - Andy Roddick winning baseline rallies, on clay, against Chang.

2008- Andy Roddick losing 90% of all baseline rallies against insert any top 50 player.

I don't know wtf he's trying to do nowadays, his forehand is a loopy piece of crap. His volleys are a little less feeble, but I don't get why you'd want to sacrifice
having one of the best forehands on tour to volley like a mediocre top 50 player. I'm a fan of his but it really is true, whenever he comes up against a decent player
the only way he's in a match is his serve.

He's bulkier now, I know it's muscle, but still maybe it affects his movement?

I think he needs to ditch Conners. As pathetic as it sounds, he ought to hire Gilbert again, they had a lot of success togethor.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

2008- Andy Roddick losing 90% of all baseline rallies against insert any top 50 player.

I don't know wtf he's trying to do nowadays, his forehand is a loopy piece of crap. His volleys are a little less feeble, but I don't get why you'd want to sacrifice
having one of the best forehands on tour to volley like a mediocre top 50 player. I'm a fan of his but it really is true, whenever he comes up against a decent player

I think he needs to ditch Conners. As pathetic as it sounds, he ought to hire Gilbert again, they had a lot of success togethor.

I totally agree. I think Andy could do better coaching himself. He should tell himself, "get rid of the spin!!" I just think judging from that 2001 clip that the flatter ball suits Andy more. I don't know why he changed it.

·
Banned
1,026 Posts
His serve has been read and that is producing frustration with the other components of his game. The forhend today is far from the quality of 2003 when he won US Open as well as couple of other MS events.

·
Registered
27,354 Posts
Fish still can't read Roddick's serve, even though half of them are straight.

·
Registered
755 Posts
His serve has been read and that is producing frustration with the other components of his game. The forhend today is far from the quality of 2003 when he won US Open as well as couple of other MS events.
It's an error to believe that Roddick was much better in 2003.
He lost against Schuettler, Henman and such players.
He was lucky to play Ferrero in US Open final.
Very lucky to win against Fish, Saulnier, Nalbandian, Federer in these days and therefore winning some big titles.
He saved match points on a lot of occasions.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
It's an error to believe that Roddick was much better in 2003.
He lost against Schuettler, Henman and such players.
He was lucky to play Ferrero in US Open final.
Very lucky to win against Fish, Saulnier, Nalbandian, Federer in these days and therefore winning some big titles.
He saved match points on a lot of occasions.

That's not true. You just don't win big titles, especially Grand Slams with luck. Roddick couldn't decide who to play in the US Open final. Besides, I don't think Ferrero was an easy opponent at that time.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
That's not true. You just don't win big titles, especially Grand Slams with luck. Roddick couldn't decide who to play in the US Open final. Besides, I don't think Ferrero was an easy opponent at that time.
You do with bullshit bias scheduling. :wavey: America, fuck yeah

·
Registered
755 Posts
Roddick had some good chances to win a second Grand Slam-title but lost against players which are better than Ferrero.

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
Ferrero destroyed Hewitt and Agassi in the QF and SF of USO'03, so it's not like he was the easiest opponent for Roddick in the final.

About Roddick: it's obvious that he was a good player to watch in 2001/2002. I even used to like him. He had a good run in Rome for example and he played extremely well against Hewitt in RG in 2001 or 2002. He ended up rolling an ankle on a baseline rally and had to give up in the 3rd set. :sad:

·
Registered
22,080 Posts

Why would he need to sacrifice his forehand to improve volleys? :confused:

·
Registered
11,530 Posts
Why would he need to sacrifice his forehand to improve volleys? :confused:
Exactly what I was thinking. Just because his forehand has got worse and his volleys better doesn't mean there is any correlation.

·
Registered
596 Posts
What happened? He's playing excellently in the vid. His forehand is a force even on clay. His backhand is still a little weak, he needs more depth, most of them land at the service line, but he doesn't resort to his slice bh. Its time to ditch Connors.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Pretty interesting that he had his best success at the FO in 01... It's not like he's been cursed with drawing amazing opponents in the FO each year either:
02- L 1R to Wayne Arthurs... :eek:
03- L 1R to Sargsian...not exactly GS material
04- L 2R to Mutis... this was an awful display from Andy no matter the surface.
05- L 2R to Acasuso- a solid clay courter but still a player that someone in the top 3 should get by.
06- L 1R to Martin-supposedly injured.
07- L 1R to Andreev- this match was just total crap from Andy, Andreev is solid of course but Andy looked like a deer in headlights for most of the match.

So basically the FO has become a one day stop for Andy to pick up about $20K :lol: His forehand used to be an actual weapon, now its just a mess. His serve is no longer feared by top players. Worst move ever was getting rid of Gilbert, his results since have shown that for sure... Gilbert took him to #1, where have Goldfine, Connors, his brother, etc. taken him?

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
I'll never understand how and why Andy's game on clay declined so badly. It's not like he sucked on the surface right from the beginning of his career. He was more than decent on it, reaching the Rome semis and the third round at Monte Carlo and Hamburg in 2002. And watching this video, I have to say that his backhand hasn't improved one bit in the span of 7 years. :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Don't see a huge difference, to be honest. He's playing a 29-year-old Michael Chang, who never had all that much power to begin with.
He's dealing with a lot different world these days.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Don't see a huge difference, to be honest. He's playing a 29-year-old Michael Chang, who never had all that much power to begin with.
He's dealing with a lot different world these days.
Well, I see a big difference. It's like Andy has a totally different game today.

·
Registered
192 Posts
His forehand and backhand were much better back then. I hate it when people talk about how Connors has improved the Roddick backhand, when it is clear that he was perfectly able to hit down the line a long, long time ago. The one volley in the video was shitty looking, but big deal. Roddick is kind of an oaf at net even now, so he should have stuck with the serve/forehand combo all the way.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts