Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's Federer vs. Nadal, 2008 (HD):

And here's Federer vs. Nalbandian, 2011 (HD):

Aside from being more nimble/fluid/flexible in 2008 (evident especially in his defense and running around the backhand), there's the racket head speed. Look at how much more violently he swung the racket in 2008, especially on the forehand, than in 2011.

2011 Federer is more or less the same as today's Federer: Roger Stifferer. 2008 Wimbledon Federer, on the other hand, reminds you of when Federer's actual decline took place. It reminds you of how Federer used to be a dominant baseline player, which is why people were in awe of him to begin with.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I disagree. He was Roger Stifferer in 2008 as well. In fact, that's what always bothered me about Wimbledon 2008 - how stiff and vulnerable his back appears.

·
Banned
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well he still won Wimbledon the next year in 2012 as Indoorerer, so the decline could not have been that rapid.
Servebotterer and junkerer. Although he did hit his backhand better in 2012 than he did any time post 2006 up until that point.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Roger Stifferer. Agree with the name, but I think you should compare with Fed 2007 as well. 2007 to 2008, Federer had made some changes on his forehand and tactics to succeed on clay. Obviously backfired.

Federer till 2007 had one more level in him on grass especially, and would have beaten Nadal 2008.
That last set of Wimbledon 2007 was Federer in God mode from 2-2, trailing 15-40 on his own serve.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts