Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... was wathcing the summary of todays play in Bastad. There was this l o n g rally between Rochus and Volandri (who played great BTW), when it struck me, what's the longest rally ever (well, open era that is)? Over 100 shots? Wouldn't be surprised if Wilander is up there on the list somewhere. ;)

Other impressions from Bastad:

1. Ferrer played out of his mind against Simon. 12 games in a row - and he had four breakpoints in the first game as well. :eek: When is Gilles Simon gonna step up?

2. Soda was pretty weak against Moya who on the other hand was pretty impressive. Fast for an old man and striking the ball really hard. Also Robin had a twisted foot from yesterdays match and wasn't moving well...

3. The line up is pretty boring this year. To bad Nadal, Berdych and Djoko withdrew - but not suprisingly...

Bring us the hard court season now, thank you very much! And bring us Pim-Pim back! Swedish tennis surely need him and you all know he's potential top ten material. Just let him be free from injuries for a year.

Well, kinda messy post this was. But I'm tired after work. :wavey:

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Apparently there was a point that once lasted half an hour - a women's match, I think. But I've seen a TV clip of a rally between Borg and Vilas at RG which lasted 86 shots, ending when Vilas just missed a backhand long and looked pretty depressed straight afterwards.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apparently there was a point that once lasted half an hour - a women's match, I think. But I've seen a TV clip of a rally between Borg and Vilas at RG which lasted 86 shots.
Half an hour :eek: That is just... sick. I remember to moonballers when I was in my juniors who played an 18 minutes point. But half an hour!! Between what players?

So 86 shots? Best thus far. Anyone who nows any longer rally? Proof would be nice... :)

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
It might have been on youtube, but if that's the case it will almost certainly be gone by now, RG videos like all Grand Slam videos on there have been thoroughly purged.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After some googling:

According to tennislovers.com The longest rally in tournament play was one of 643 times over the net between Vicky Nelson and Jean Hepner at Richmond, VA in October 1984. The 6 hr 22 min match was won by Nelson 6-4, 7-6. It concluded with a 1 hr 47 min tiebreak, 13-11, for which one point took 29 minutes.

:eek: :eek:

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
The idea that a straight sets women's match could last 6 hours and 22 minutes is positively mind-boggling, and certainly provides a good rationale for the introduction of new racket technology. I mean the second longest men's match of all time between McEnroe and Wilander, the longest until Santoro v Clement at RG 2004, was exactly the same length and predated the introduction of the tiebreak into Davis Cup. 1 hour and 47 minutes for a tiebreak??!!

·
Registered
26,225 Posts
Yes, Vilas lost that epic point (I believe the very first point of that RG final), and went on to lose the match in three pretty easy sets to Borg.

And that 6h22 match is one of the most enjoyed stats on wtaworld. Talk about moonball city! I can't imagine leaving to get a drink, walk around the stands, go the bathroom, and coming back to see the same point being played. Thank god men were never so boring with their tennis - or were they?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Was it the '78 FO final? In that case Borg won the final 6-1, 6-1, 6-3. And lost a total of 28 games in 21 sets. That's really sick.

I'm way off topic here, but has there been an easier GS final than 6-1, 6-1, 6-3?

Federers two bagels against Hewitt in US Open final is crazy as well...

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Agassi over Schuettler 2, 2 and 1 at the 2003 AO was pretty crushing. But I'm sure that back in the 1920s there was a Wimbledon men's final that lasted about 40 minutes, that must be a record.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Found one myself:

Wimbledon 1984 J.P. McEnroe (USA) 1 J.S. Connors (USA) 3 6-1, 6-1, 6-2 80min

Also:

2002 L.G. Hewitt (AUS) 1 D.P. Nalbandian (ARG) 28 6-1, 6-3, 6-2 116min

:eek:

Hehe, I'm in a statistic mode this evening. :devil:

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
I'm sick of the typical 50-shot moonball-fests during clay season when Nadal wins everything sight.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Agassi over Schuettler 2, 2 and 1 at the 2003 AO was pretty crushing. But I'm sure that back in the 1920s there was a Wimbledon men's final that lasted about 40 minutes, that must be a record.
Found this one:

1923 W. M. Johnston (USA) F.T. Hunter (USA) 6-0, 6-3, 6-1 46min

The quality of that match must have been absolutely horrible.

Feds 6-1 over Ferrero this year lasted 19 min and that seemed to be as fast as can be.

Fastest set in the open era. Faster than 19 minutes?

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Found this one:

1923 W. M. Johnston (USA) F.T. Hunter (USA) 6-0, 6-3, 6-1 46min

The quality of that match must have been absolutely horrible.

Feds 6-1 over Ferrero this year lasted 19 min and that seemed to be as fast as can be.

Fastest set in the open era. Faster than 19 minutes?
The shortest final of the open era (games-wise) is the 1977 RG final

Vilas d. Gottfried 6-0 6-3 6-0

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The shortest final of the open era (games-wise) is the 1977 RG final

Vilas d. Gottfried 6-0 6-3 6-0
Wow! And imagine Borg just lost five games to this Vilas the following year. :p

Thanks for the post.

I guess there is a thread for this type of statistics, avoiding ppl like me to go off topic like this. :devil:

·
Registered
20,212 Posts
The longest rally I've ever seen - Schalken finished a point with a powerful forehand after 43 strokes (against Muster, Monte Carlo 1996). Barely the half strokes of a rally in the match between Vilas & Borg :)

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
In regards to the most dominant finals ever - Connors absolutely destroyed Rosewall in 1974 in back-to-back majors finals (Wimbledon and US Open respectively) 6-1, 6-1, 6-4 and 6-1, 6-0, 6-1. The latter was particularly striking.

Rosewall, of course, was a bit over the hill, although it was amazing that he made it so far in those events. Ken's run to the Wimbledon final may be the most amazing accomplishment by a tennis geezer ever, greater than Connors' overhyped run in New York in 1991.

Interestingly enough, I think these dominating performances gave Jimmy a bit of a big head. I rewatched the 1975 Wimby final between he and Arthur Ashe and Jimmy thought he was the bee's knees at the start of that match, gesturing like a pompous idiot. Ashe taught him a lesson, breadsticking the first two sets and ultimately winning the match in four.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In regards to the most dominant finals ever - Connors absolutely destroyed Rosewall in 1974 in back-to-back majors finals (Wimbledon and US Open respectively) 6-1, 6-1, 6-4 and 6-1, 6-0, 6-1. The latter was particularly striking.
So Connors win over Rosewall is the most dominant win in a GS final, and not Vilas? Amazing.

Regarding Connors, is he the biggest jerk ever? This clip, probably discussed before, sickens me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceB4ZpeJPao

·
Registered
20,212 Posts

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
So Connors win over Rosewall is the most dominant win in a GS final, and not Vilas? Amazing.
Borg's win over Vilas was more impressive because both were in their collective primes.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts