Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
14,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mean, look at you! Way too much whiteness and brightness, not even the KKK would defend you.
No one asked for an early 00s revival either, stylistically. Everyone knows it was hot garbage.

Before telling me there is a thread about it and before you mods consider closing this one, I would like this to become a thread about things that make you furiously nostalgic, like the memory of the good old MTF.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,404 Posts
Gee, aren't you a blast from the past? :whistle:

Something basic but one of my friends was asking people if they had a VHS player because they were going over old VHS tapes including one documentary about David Bowie. I was like, good like finding a player, do these things even exist? (They do, of course, just it seems a lifetime ago for me). The good old VHS tape you could record over as much as you liked.

The CRT monitor another one. It's weird at my mass spectrometry lab they are still using those CRT monitors to image closeup on some of the nanospray setups.

And watching reruns of Walker, Texas Ranger (Walker played by Chuck Norris) on TV, soooo 90s...

·
52,404 Posts
Why would you ever do something like that? :ROFLMAO:

(says the guy who recently downloaded Kung Fu in its entirety).
I'm been too used to Australian TV shows it really caught me by surprise :lol:

Plus it's bloody sentimental beneath.

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
I mean, look at you! Way too much whiteness and brightness, not even the KKK would defend you.
No one asked for an early 00s revival either, stylistically. Everyone knows it was hot garbage.

Before telling me there is a thread about it and before you mods consider closing this one, I would like this to become a thread about things that make you furiously nostalgic, like the memory of the good old MTF.
It is pretty dark in my world mate, try dark mode, it is brilliant.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Gee, aren't you a blast from the past? :whistle:

Something basic but one of my friends was asking people if they had a VHS player because they were going over old VHS tapes including one documentary about David Bowie. I was like, good like finding a player, do these things even exist? (They do, of course, just it seems a lifetime ago for me). The good old VHS tape you could record over as much as you liked.
I had a SONY VHS player right there beneath TV, unused for perhaps 15yrs but never unplugged except to move or change TV. Different TV sets, CD, DVD, BlueRays and whatnot players came and went but the VHS firmly remained there. A couple of weeks ago I put in a tape (yes, I also have some of those LoL) and it wouldn't work. Neither with 2d and 3d tapes... so I threw the player away. I regreted almost inmediately. I don't know what to do now with the tapes I have, unwatched for 15yrs and without a player... yet I can't bring myself to throw them away.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I have NES system from 1996 that stil works, along with that gun that you shoot ducks with...all in impeccable state. I still play Zelda II runs from time to time, or Mario Golf, that one actually rocks.

Guy went to Iceland, had a time of his life and now complains how MTF looks xD

·
Super Moderator
7,257 Posts
I had a SONY VHS player right there beneath TV, unused for perhaps 15yrs but never unplugged except to move or change TV. Different TV sets, CD, DVD, BlueRays and whatnot players came and went but the VHS firmly remained there. A couple of weeks ago I put in a tape (yes, I also have some of those LoL) and it wouldn't work. Neither with 2d and 3d tapes... so I threw the player away. I regreted almost inmediately. I don't know what to do now with the tapes I have, unwatched for 15yrs and without a player... yet I can't bring myself to throw them away.
Surely you can get a used VHS player somewhere. There's just something unique about film's grainy effect.

Which movies do you own on VHS?

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Surely you can get a used VHS player somewhere. There's just something unique about film's grainy effect.

Which movies do you own on VHS?
Nothing comercial, those I rented. Assorted independent films plus stuff recorded by some friends and myself.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
If you want (or it is important) to save the videos on those VHS tapes, you can convert VHS tapes into digital files. Look it up. After conversion, you don't need a VHS player to play those videos in the future. The digital files can be played on any PC, Mac, or tablet. The digital files can also be uploaded on to cloud or youtube. After conversion, you can throw away both VHS player and VHS tapes, they are outdated technologies.

·
52,404 Posts
The sad thing with electronics is they do wear out even if you keep it there without use (and sometimes that's also why they die, much like stagnant cars). Dust and rust will do the rest. So I'm not 100% sure you can salvage but you can buy the machine online still, factory used but functional. Also Jolyon made a nice suggestion. I laugh because I have a set top box which doubles as a digital recording device but it's hard to extract files from it save inputting and saving the original recordings on a separate USB you can attach. I'm sure there is some way around it but it doesn't seem to allow HD partitioning to transfer from HDD to USB stick.

I very much miss my original playstation @n00b which broke down after a few years. This mascot among my faves, how much change has seen in the remastered vs original!

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
If you want (or it is important) to save the videos on those VHS tapes, you can convert VHS tapes into digital files. Look it up. After conversion, you don't need a VHS player to play those videos in the future. The digital files can be played on any PC, Mac, or tablet. The digital files can also be uploaded on to cloud or youtube. After conversion, you can throw away both VHS player and VHS tapes, they are outdated technologies.
Yep, I know that, thank you for the suggestion anyway 👍 It's just that Im nostalgic also about the hardware. When I look at some printed pics from the times pics were printed I feel something, if I look at same pics on my PC screen I feel little. Im an avid reader since small age, I've tried very hard to pick the digital books habit... it's crap man, I can't bring myself to finish books I'd read in two days on paper...

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I have this family bbq VHS tape from 1993 which is priceless, I am planning to transfer it to digital format, in case it's damaged.

I own 5th element with Bruce Willis and Mila Jovovich, many Disney cartoons (I was a kid back then) and I still have VHS tape which I recorded of World Cup 2002 final, Germany vs Brazil.

·
52,404 Posts
It has been so long since I used my VHS that I am now afraid to put in a tape, because I am not sure I could press the right buttons to return to watching TV.
Just find "DTV" on your remote, should get you back if you are confused. There should be a cycling button between DTV, and AV1, AV2, Component 1, Component 2 etc.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Just find "DTV" on your remote, should get you back if you are confused. There should be a cycling button between DTV, and AV1, AV2, Component 1, Component 2 etc.
Or execute the universal algorithm:
1. Switch VHS off
2. If tv shows on screen GOTO 5.
If not GOTO 3.
3. Switch TV off
4. Switch TV on
5. END

·
52,404 Posts
I actually remember the time when USB memory stick came out. It was 2004 when my younger brother bought one. It held 128 MB but that was a lot more than the floppy disks I had been using (and still persisted in using floppy disks, till around 2007 when I finally decided to get my own USB stick).

I had one of those old Nokias (of course) in 2005-2007. Snake was just about the best feature on the thing. Then one of my friends got one of those so called 3G phones with graphics in 2006. And of course the first thing he bought into were those sneaky short animated sexual cartoons and games which he showed off to everybody. It would look horribly campy today.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts