Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great title:worship: by Martyn Herman or editor Julien Pretot.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/05/30/tennis-open-sock-idUKL3N0YL08T20150530

Big-serving Sock is a rare breed among American men, enjoying the challenges of red clay and his compatibility with the surface was again in evidence against 18-year-old Coric who had beaten Spain's Tommy Robredo in the previous round.

"I feel like it maximizes my game, more than other surfaces," he said. "I'm able to set up and dictate with the forehand again. Serving definitely gets up.

"It definitely makes my shots a little more lethal."

While Sock clearly loves the French Open -- French cuisine appears to be passing him by.

Asked what he would be eating to celebrate his win over Coric, he said: "Probably enjoy it through Chipotle dinner tonight and then I will start getting focused tomorrow," he said of the American Tex-Mex grill he favours.

Jack Sock of the U.S. celebrates winning his third round match of the French Open tennis tournament against Croatia's Borna Coric (AP Photo/Christophe Ena)

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I like his attitude, but unfortunately for him the very nature of the match-up (leftie forehand to weak backhand) will be too much for him. Sock is going to have to serve lights out and take his chances on the FH wing when given the chance. Over three sets I don't see it happening. I just hope for a competitive match. It's still nice to see an American doing well on the clay, though.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Sock plays this next match for tennis and humanity.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I would love to see Sock give Nadal a taste of his own medicine and boot his ass out of RG by abusing his backhand with his topspin.

Not sure if I see it happening, but the weather will be cool and damp at least.

·
Banned
923 Posts
Well Nadal lost in 2009 against Soderling to avoid peak Fed. He may be feeling cowardly this year as well

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Mary Gorillo just told McEnroe that Sock is a huge server ... I guess Rafa is in big big trouble now. lol

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Well Nadal lost in 2009 against Soderling to avoid peak Fed. He may be feeling cowardly this year as well
To avoid what? Federer had #4# shots in the FO FINAL against the great one and couldnt convert one NADA! Nadal will go through everyone out there.

You aren't seeing it because your hatred won't allow it. Nadal is playing himself into form. He is just shy of where he needs to be to hand Djokovic yet another RG beating. Now I like Djokovic a lot. Think he is the most talented player EVER BUT NOT ON CLAY. I tell it like it IS. On clay in a best of FIVE. Nadal is and shall remain the standard to beat.

He will have to battle like he has never battled before to stop this version of Nadal going 10 for 10. Before todays match I had my doubts. But looking at Nadal he looks like he is in his backyard again. Everyone else is an intruder. And he is ready to kick them all out of his backyard once AGAIN.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Sock is going to win...

10 games.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts

OMG, OMG, OMG, lightning is going to strike Rafa in two days. Rafa, please hide. :p

·
Registered
19,474 Posts
OMG, OMG, OMG, lightning is going to strike Rafa in two days. Rafa, please hide. :p
Well, Sock might be a much improved version of Söderling (better serve, better movement on clay, similar heavy topspin FH), though Nadal has no knee trouble this time and his parents are - luckily - long separated...

If we take some variables out from this equation you might get it right.
So, in a peculiar way, lightning may strike twice...

:haha: :haha: :haha:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Well, Sock might be a much improved version of Söderling (better serve, better movement on clay, similar heavy topspin FH), though Nadal has no knee trouble this time and his parents are - luckily - long separated...

:facepalm:

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
I like his attitude, but unfortunately for him the very nature of the match-up (leftie forehand to weak backhand) will be too much for him. Sock is going to have to serve lights out and take his chances on the FH wing when given the chance. Over three sets I don't see it happening. I just hope for a competitive match. It's still nice to see an American doing well on the clay, though.
yeah that's the key problem. Soderling had a better backhand and was also slightly taller. Gonna be hard but not impossible for Sock to handle those high bouncing moonballs.

Will root for Sock! He must at least please the tennis gods and soften up Nadal for the QF

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
yeah that's the key problem. Soderling had a better backhand and was also slightly taller. Gonna be hard but not impossible for Sock to handle those high bouncing moonballs.

Will root for Sock! He must at least please the tennis gods and soften up Nadal for the QF
They won't be high bouncing. That's the good part. It's going to be 18 C and cloudy on Monday.

·
Registered
645 Posts
great attitude. he should be fiery and have no surrender attitude, but i just cant see him bother Nadal with that backhand.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts

:eek::eek::eek::smash::smash::smash::banghead::banghead::banghead::help::help::help::ignore::ignore::ignore::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

1 - 20 of 55 Posts