Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
yeah, thats a silly mistake. however , that they didnt even give him a qualies wild card, as he requested makes no sense.

·
Registered
14,082 Posts

·
MONSOON season.
81,404 Posts
I dont know. I know it's a stupid mistake but I'd rather he get one over a walking bye, which most of those other choices are
TBH Most QWCs put up a good fight. Obviously Molleker is a better player, but I see no reason why the organizers should give him a WC.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I agree to those who say he does not deserve a WC. I think he is already lucky enough to be German and to receive many WC from ATP and Challenger German events. A lot of players from many other countries do not have this luck.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
In 2017, the 1st round of qualifying prize money was $5,500 USD. So at worst, simply by signing up on the Wimbledon website he was guaranteeing himself $5,500. How long does that take? 20 minutes? At most? Not signing up for tournaments is understandable if you aren't sure which events you'll play. But it's Wimbledon. There's no other tourney he could play that week that would pay him this amount.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
So are most in qualies.

How did Molleker hurt you?
it sets a poor precedent. If a player (or his team) can't be bothered to make sure they do something as simple as SIGN up for the qualifying rounds of a slam (which SHOULD be a big deal for the individual player) then why should the tournament bail them out? it's a pretty small ask, expecting a player to make sure they sign a form (or forms, or provide identification, or whatever else is asked). And, again, the precedent- if they start just throwing wildcards to every player who forgets to sign up it creates the implication that it's not a serious thing.

Which, by all accounts, a tournament of this pedigree would not want. They EXPECT the players to care and to plan and to take their chance to play there seriously. I feel bad for the bloke but at the same time, if he couldn't be bothered to go through the motions of signing up I hardly feel bad

There are SO many amateur and low ranked pros who would die to even get a chance to play the qualies at Wimbledon. This guy isn't owed a wildcard because of his own mistake.

Next year he'll remember to sign up, that's for sure.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts