Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After Nadals injury against Khachanov, he started playing similar to Federer with drop shots from behind the base line, forehands inside the base line and keeping the points short. He also came to the net more.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Nadal has been playing more like Federer for years. While there's a tendency to view Nadal as the antithesis of Federer, from another point of view they actually have extremely similar games.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
The question is: can injured Federer play like Nadal?

·
Registered
263 Posts
After Nadals injury against Khachanov, he started playing similar to Federer with drop shots from behind the base line, forehands inside the base line and keeping the points short. He also came to the net more.
Well, that's very superficial. Sometimes he playes that aggressive stuff, but it is not really what Federer does. He can't mix it as Federer does. Nada's slice is also not so good (nowadays better ofc). He attack to the net only if necessary. Although his volleys are amazing.
With serve he changed that lately to more like power-serve, but I don't think he is going to take it into the clay season. I remember him serving big in AO 2005. Also US OPEN 2010

Of course playing two-handed backhand is a hole different philosophy
But I guess this IW 2019 QF is going to be quite different from other matches

·
|
14,298 Posts
Rafa is the most unpredictable player of all-time, because he's massively deviated his level of aggression from year to year and even from month to month :armed:

In fact even from match to match, I mean his 1st serve average was only 116mph in the 2010 US Open Final.
He either did that because he'd started to get shoulder tendinitis from serving big, or he didn't want to give Djokovic any pace to work with.

Also, his 1st Serve average was over 120mph in the 2011 Wimbledon Final (and he lost in 4 sets to Djokovic).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts