Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that was 3 months ago, but did anyone catch Rosewall's cruel remark to Thiem in front of millions when he alluded spectators weren't given an entertaining final, lol?

I almost fell out of my chair.

Then you had a 15 sec highlight of his RG win vs Laver, where both seemed to play in slo mo at a sunday leisure center.

Ken doesn't seem to realize how competitive modern tennis has become.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Regurgitating this dead horse three/four months later has only proven Rosewall's point.

Thiem has been worthless all those times - even on his fave post-grass clay mickey mouse events.

So Rosewall was right, is even more right now and will continue to be right tomorrow.

And anyway the dude has 23 singles slams. He's a fucking legend whose fart is worth more than Thiem's gold and deserves more respect.

Thiem has still to prove he's more than a tiny forgettable footnote in tennis history that no one will remember when Tsitsipas and Zverev take over the tour from the geriatric thirty-somethings currently ruling it.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Thiem stunk the joint out, it wasn't nice to say but credit to Rosewall for telling it like it is. Need more of that today. Maybe a swift verbal kick in the ass is what these young guns need today to take the big step up.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tennis from Rosewall's era is like 1000 years removed from the present one.
And so is the prize money...

Even Agassi remarked 10 years after his retirement how much the game had changed since his departure.

I know Ken didn't mean to be rude though: he was probably just carried away from the emotion of giving a speech in front of millions and attempted to say something meaningful, but missed the mark completely.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thiem stunk the joint out.
C'mon, that's just untrue.

Rafa played flawless tennis for the occasion. I thought he was in danger at any moment his level would drop, but it never did.

I almost chocked on my dinner when he had the wrist scare in that third set.

Thiem did the best he could and fought bitterly till the very end.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I don't get Thiem, honestly. Has routined Nadal twice on clay and looked great doing it...wilts like no ones business at RG. Gets crushed by Novak in Rome last year, then completely bulldozes Novak at RG. And he's totally useless off clay but has titles on HC and grass. Weird player.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts