Discussion Starter #1
Per tennis.com

Home Pro Game News
Not Nadal, not Federer, not bad: Llodra ends singles career at Roland Garros
WEDNESDAY, MAY 28, 2014 /BY KAMAKSHI TANDON
TAGS:2014 French OpenMichael LlodraPrint

AP
AP
Michael Llodra closed his singles career at the French Open on Tuesday, with the French Tennis Federation holding an on-court ceremony for him after he lost to Fernando Verdasco in the first round.

"I was overcome with emotion on court, seeing my friends, my family," said Llodra, who shared the moment with his children. "There have been some incredible matches...an immense pleasure with the public, with my family. That is what is most important in my eyes today, over the victories."

The 34-year-old Frenchman played his first match at the French Open 15 years ago, as a teenager against two-time champion Sergi Bruguera. He recalls leading by two sets before falling to his more experienced opponent. Since then, Llodra has gone on to win five singles titles and 26 doubles titles, including three doubles Grand Slams. He reached a career-high rank of No. 21 in 2011.

"I am not Nadal. I am not Federer. But I thought I played well. I won five singles titles and numerous doubles titles. It could be said I was not a bad professional."

The Frenchman, one of the only serve-and-volleyers on the circuit these days, is not stopping right away—he is entered in the doubles draw, and would also like to be a member of the French team in the Davis Cup semifinals.

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2014/05/llodra-concludes-singles-career-roland-garros/51580/#.U4aNsPldXLk

Congrats Llodra:wavey:

·
Registered
865 Posts
I enjoyed his match against Andy Murray few years ago, really talented volleyer.
Sad for his retirement…

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Too bad, I would've liked to see him playing Bercy one more time.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
He's going to play until the end of the year.

It's not like I'm stopping after Roland Garros. I decided to play until the end of the year, so I didn't think I'd feel a lot in terms of my emotions. But then people saw my emotion on the court," Llodra said. "I probably am one of the most Parisian of all the French; I was here when I was five years old. At the beginning, of course, probably not to come and watch tennis, but to make paper airplanes on center court.

"And then I started as a junior, and then my first senior match. Then an incredible number of matches where it turned around and the tremendous pleasure shared with the crowd and the family," he said.

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/tennis-busted-racquet/michaël-llodra-ends-long-french-open-singles-career-234210180--ten.html

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
My favorite S&V player, because not only are his volleys excellent, he is just a fantastic shotmaker from all parts of the court. Really a special player, a true magician.

Bye racist :wavey: Hopefully he quits soon from doubles as well...
Shut up you clown :eek: Tennis will die with Llodra's retirement

He's going to play until the end of the year.

It's not like I'm stopping after Roland Garros. I decided to play until the end of the year, so I didn't think I'd feel a lot in terms of my emotions. But then people saw my emotion on the court," Llodra said. "I probably am one of the most Parisian of all the French; I was here when I was five years old. At the beginning, of course, probably not to come and watch tennis, but to make paper airplanes on center court.

"And then I started as a junior, and then my first senior match. Then an incredible number of matches where it turned around and the tremendous pleasure shared with the crowd and the family," he said.

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/tennis-busted-racquet/michaël-llodra-ends-long-french-open-singles-career-234210180--ten.html
Oh, well that's a relief. OP :facepalm: Please change the title

·
Banned
2,609 Posts
Llondra :bigcry: You'll be missed, as will variety in tennis.

·
Banned
5,740 Posts
Is a tribute by Voo in order?

·
The Last Mohican
24,521 Posts
Another all court variety player retires. :(

Will be sad when Stepanek retires also. And players like Nadull are still thriving. :eek:

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
The symbolic end of S&V. Pity, his game was very pleasant to watch. I'm surprised he haven't ended in Paris Bercy, where he always played well.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
The symbolic end of S&V. Pity, his game was very pleasant to watch. I'm surprised he haven't ended in Paris Bercy, where he always played well.
He is gonna be play until the end of the year. So I expect him to end in Paris Bercy too.
It was just his last Roland Garros that's why there was a ceremony after the match he lost vs Verdasco.

·
Registered
10,399 Posts
Sad. Will be missed.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts