Mens Tennis Forums banner

Lleyton on the other New Ballz

1K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  irma 
#1 ·
Q: Are you surprised that nobody's stepped up? I mean, it takes a guy from sort of, you know, who's got a long resume already to stop you rather than one of, you know, your contemporaries going head-to-head with you?

LLEYTON HEWITT: You know, I don't know. I think we all saw how Sampras disposed of Roddick a couple of nights ago. You know, he's just not quite ready for it. There's Safin. Obviously, he's there some weeks and not there others. You know, I feel like I'm putting myself in a good position to be in most Slams now. Obviously, the last two Slams have been great - the French, made the Round of 16; the Australian Open didn't go to plan.
So I feel like I'm putting myself there in a position. Whether other guys are going to step up, I don't know. I got no idea.

From interview after his semifinal defeat at USOpen 2002.

#2 ·
damn, just trashed Andy like that!!!!!!! lol!!!!!! Andy will be back though!! GO NEW BALLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#4 ·
OH, Andy'll show him one day... we all know that they don't have a friendly relationship with each other. I'm just glad that Andy doesn't trash Hewitt cos that's just poor sportsmanship and patheticness. Hewitt, you speak TOO soon...

#6 ·
I did not know Lleyton and Andy did not like each other. What articles/interviews have you seen that say that?

This is the first time I've heard Lleyton say anything somewhat negative about Drama Queen usually when asked that question he says Marat, Roger and DQ can beat him or be rivals. I must say that Sampras crushing of DQ was surprising. A lot of experts/media/tennis fans had to reassess DQ's abilities after that match, not just Lleyton.

AS to the other new balls they are a level above DQ by virtue of having won Slams (Marat) or having made finals/semifinals at Slams, or winning Masters shields. DQ has yet to do that.

Roddick fans this is not personal. If he is going to be a Slam contender and a true rival to Lleyton then all it was is an an opportunity to learn. Otherwise he should be dismissed. Also let's not forget that the window of opportunity in men's tennis is not that big while DQ takes his time high-5ing left and right the younger generation is coming up i.e Richard Gasquet, Todd Reid, Robby Ginepri etc...

#7 ·
Hewitt and Blake have nothing against eachother. That's a myth

#8 ·
Well you do have to take into consideration that the other new balls do have a good 3 or 4 years of experience over Andy, if anything, Roddick is the newest of all the new balls. I think, for the little time he's been on tour, he has everything going for him.

#10 ·
lol, it's true, i don't think Hewitt was attacking Andy, he's probably just speaking the truth, but then since they don't have a good relationship, it's probably been mistaken otherwise. They once ask Andy his views on Hewitt and he's like, "oh we don't have anything outside of the courts" or something like that. Go Andy! He'll do better next time! :D

#11 ·
Ok so Roddick seems to have a problenm with Lleyton but again when and where has Lleyton been negative when speaking about Roddick other then this interview today which again was not a diss but a judgement based on Roddick's universally surprising lackluster play?

Same thing with James and Hewitt I have never heard of locker room tensions between them but if you have where?

Only person who had known locker room confrontations with Lleyton is Agassi's old coach Brad Gilbert, who "wanted to deck him" and said so in plenty of newspapers then he was fired by Andre.

#14 ·
I like Lleyton more and more!:p

#18 ·
Yeah you guys. I know what I said commenced all this! It was just a crappy little, sarcastic, blown out of proportion, teeny remark! LOL!

#20 ·
Tennis Fool said:
Q: Are you surprised that nobody's stepped up? I mean, it takes a guy from sort of, you know, who's got a long resume already to stop you rather than one of, you know, your contemporaries going head-to-head with you?

LLEYTON HEWITT: You know, I don't know. I think we all saw how Sampras disposed of Roddick a couple of nights ago. You know, he's just not quite ready for it. There's Safin. Obviously, he's there some weeks and not there others. You know, I feel like I'm putting myself in a good position to be in most Slams now. Obviously, the last two Slams have been great - the French, made the Round of 16; the Australian Open didn't go to plan.
So I feel like I'm putting myself there in a position. Whether other guys are going to step up, I don't know. I got no idea.

From interview after his semifinal defeat at USOpen 2002.
is that bashing??? from what i read he's just making comments, which btw we all know roddick is young and still has a long way ahead of him, so really he still needs the maturity of it all and he'll definitely show what he's made of....

so ppl, i don't think hewitt meant to insult your boy's talents...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.