Mens Tennis Forums banner

661 - 671 of 671 Posts

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
As of March 3, Hewitt will have held No. 1 for 68 consecutive weeks, the seventh-longest streak at No. 1 in the history of the ATP rankings (Aug. 23, 1973).
When Hewitt achieved the No. 1 ranking in 2001, he was the youngest player to finish the year at No. 1.He has finished No. 1 the last two years, the youngest player to rank as the top player in back-to-back seasons.
Lleyton :kiss: You're a true champ! :D We're proud of you! :kiss: :kiss: I'm sure you'll hold on to that spot many more weeks, even years :D

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
From ABC
Wednesday February 26, 2003 4:18 PM AEDT

Aus Sports Awards finalists announced

Cricketer Matthew Hayden, tennis world number one Lleyton Hewitt and champion swimmer Ian Thorpe will take each other on for the Male Athlete of the Year award following today's announcement of the finalists for the Australian Sports Awards for 2002.

Winter Olympic gold medallist Alisa Camplin, squash champion Sarah Fitz-Gerald, and five-time world surfing champion Layne Beachley are nominated for the Female Athlete of the Year gong.

The Australian cricket team , the winter Paralympic team, and the pursuit cycling team have been nominated for International Team of the Year.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Thanks Tara :kiss:

I'd be shocked as hell if Lleyton wins the Athelete of the year award. :rolleyes: Last year he was nominated and was supposed to win it since he had won the USO and become the youngest ever no.1 in 2001. But that Thorpe dude won it.

Richard Hinds (aussie writer) had written an article about it saying Lleyton deserved it more coz of his achievements since tennis is far too competitive a sport than swimming. He said that Aussie sports academy doesn't really understand that. :p Anyway, apparently Thorpe gets it because he does a lot of charity work which is one of the things the sports academy considers. We all know Lleyton does it too. He just does it quietly. :angel: But, I'm not gonna hold my breath :rolleyes: ;)

Lleyton doesn't need approval of aussie sports academy. ;) He's the best in the world whether they wanna admit it or not :p :D

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
C'mon_Lley said:
Thanks Tara :kiss:

I'd be shocked as hell if Lleyton wins the Athelete of the year award. :rolleyes: Last year he was nominated and was supposed to win it since he had won the USO and become the youngest ever no.1 in 2001. But that Thorpe dude won it.

Richard Hinds (aussie writer) had written an article about it saying Lleyton deserved it more coz of his achievements since tennis is far too competitive a sport than swimming. He said that Aussie sports academy doesn't really understand that. :p Anyway, apparently Thorpe gets it because he does a lot of charity work which is one of the things the sports academy considers. We all know Lleyton does it too. He just does it quietly. :angel: But, I'm not gonna hold my breath :rolleyes: ;)

Lleyton doesn't need approval of aussie sports academy. ;) He's the best in the world whether they wanna admit it or not :p :D

So true...

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Hi Dolly!
Do you have that Hinds article? Don't worry if you don't but he is a good writer.

Thorpe got it because he's the granny's fave I think.

There is always some fool who will piss and moan about Ll's 'unsuitability' anyway so it just means more hassle.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Here it is Duck :)

Hewitt is on top the world ... except at home

By Richard Hinds
March 30 2002

First, he was kind of cute. Little kid in big clothes. Funny ponytail. And doesn't he try hard, Elsie?

Then he was sort of annoying. Does he really have to yell like that all the time?

Then, some time between winning an ATP title in his home town aged 16 and returning to successfully defend it, he got downright spiteful. Abused opponents, cursed officials. McEnroe without the touch volley. Nastase without the wit.

Of course, we all knew he didn't have the game to match the atti-tood. Except he kept winning minor titles. OK, and the United States Open.

Ladies and gentlemen, we give you the new Michael Chang. The classic "one-slam guy". Let's just see how this midget's puny game fares when he can no longer pull off the Road Runner impersonation. When Wile E. Safin learns to put the TNT on Hewitt's side of the net before pushing the plunger.

Then he got to No1. But so had Marcelo Rios. Lleyton Hewitt was obviously filling a gap in the post-Pete Sampras/Andre Agassi world. Just give that computer a little tap and soon it would start spitting out names like Roger Federer and Tommy Haas. Big men with powerful games. The real future of tennis.

Then he sacked his coach, Darren Cahill. Or his dad did. Either way, it was game over. Tennis Parents Syndrome claims another high-profile victim. Without the cunning Cahill, he would plummet down the rankings faster than Luciano Pavarotti could skydive without a parachute.

Then he got chicken pox. See? Told ya. The kid won't last. Remember that Paul Kelly song? Your big heart's gunna break your little body. He lost in the first round of the Australian Open. The only time Hewitt would be calling "C'mon" this season was when the nurse was too slow bringing the calamine lotion.

Except he got better. And better. He won his first two tournaments back on US hardcourt. He stared down Agassi in a third-set tie-breaker and booted around poor old Sampras again.

He talked about how his new coach, Jason Stoltenberg, was working on his serve. How he was coming in more. How he was being more aggressive. Which was a bit like Hannibal Lecter saying he'd worked up a bit of an appetite.

The other players were edgy. Tim Henman said Hewitt was now the benchmark. He should know. Henman comes second like other players break strings. He knows whether he is losing to a bona fide champion or just choking against some guy who keeps getting the ball back.

Which brings us to an unexpected place in Hewitt's personal history. Although he probably didn't get the publicity he deserved recently - well, come on, it's not as if he slept with another player's wife - Hewitt is now genuinely, and by some margin, the best tennis player on the planet.

If you hadn't realised, you are not alone. The good folk at Sport Industry Australia are also a bit slow on the uptake. They just gave their male athlete of the year award to Ian Thorpe, which was easily justifiable - but wrong.

Thorpe might be the best ever at what he does. The feats of his feet are awesome.

Yet, when it comes down to it, he is a swimmer. He paddles in the shallow end of world sport, while Hewitt competes in a comparative giant of a global pool. It matters.

Hewitt was also overlooked for the Dawn Fraser Award, which purports to combine sporting excellence with contributions to the community. Squash player Sarah Fitz-Gerald was, I'm guessing, a worthy recipient.

But this is a strange recipe for what is supposed to be the major award. Why not have a separate do- gooders trophy and, otherwise, judge athletic performance for what happens inside the white lines?

Hewitt's image continues to suffer for past misdemeanours. The sideshow created by his indiscretions still overshadows the main event. However, the noticeable lack of damaged officials and wounded opponents in recent weeks are promising signs this may be about to change.

Not that Hewitt is going to be that good.

Everyone knows he can't win the French Open. You can't get through seven rounds of best-of-five- setters on clay playing at his level of intensity. Eventually he'll be picked up by some Latino who has to ask the linesman for directions before going to the net.

Everyone knows Hewitt can't win Wimbledon. Doesn't have the serve. Doesn't have the volley. Doesn't have six Henmans on his side of the draw.

Everyone knows Hewitt is not the real thing. Now, if someone would just tell Hewitt. :D

Fantastic article! I love the sarcasm :p :D One of my favorites by Richard Hinds! I feel like every single line should be in bold :D

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
DAVIS CUP Quarterfinal
DRAW & COURT

France v Switzerland
Zenith stadium, Toulouse, France
Indoor Hard Court

Sweden v Australia
Baltiska Hallen, Malmo, Sweden
Indoor Hard Court

Spain v Croatia
Club Tenis Valencia, Valencia, Spain
Outdoor Clay

Argentina v Russia
Club Atletico River Plate, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Outdoor Clay

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
C'mon_Lley said:
Here it is Duck :)

Hewitt is on top the world ... except at home

By Richard Hinds
March 30 2002

Everyone knows Hewitt can't win Wimbledon. Doesn't have the serve. Doesn't have the volley. Doesn't have six Henmans on his side of the draw.

Everyone knows Hewitt is not the real thing. Now, if someone would just tell Hewitt. :D

Fantastic article! I love the sarcasm :p :D One of my favorites by Richard Hinds! I feel like every single line should be in bold :D

LOL:D

661 - 671 of 671 Posts