Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
10,340 Posts
That's really sudden :sad:

·
29,645 Posts
Legenda :yeah: great guy, personality and at his peak he was a beast on fast indoor courts. Underachieved in the slams IMO. But a fine career :yeah:

Davis Cup 2005 he was absolutely inhumane. It would have been fitting if he'd closed out Hrbaty in the final, but the doubles had taken its toll. Amazing achievement :yeah:

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
Sad. I'm not surprised, but it's sad because Ljubo is so classy on and off court, and his presence will be missed.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Re: Ivan Ljubicic retires

:banghead::banghead::banghead::bigcry::bigcry:

·
♤23♤
32,996 Posts
:sad:
I just knew he won't take the recent losses lightly. He doesn't underestimate anyone, but he believes he should be beating players like for example Cipolla to whom he lost in his last match. Also withdrawing from IW wasn't a good sign :(
I'll write a 'thank you for everything' kind of post after he really retires.

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
The way Ljubo was playing to begin this season, especially his movement which was slower than ever, I basically knew that he was done. Ljubo did a great job these past 5-7 years getting more out of his game and, in my eyes, reaching his potential by getting to #3 in the world and being one of the elite indoor players throughout the last 10 seasons. I wish he would have done better in slams and got the respect he deserved on a larger scale for the talent he had.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
class act this chap. he will be missed.
you're right clay.

he'll be missed for sure.
Great man and player, as well.:sad::sad::sad::sad:

Reactions: Mimi

·
Registered
12,123 Posts
Sad :sad: another sign of a period ending and us getting old (I'm much older than him ;) )

but I don't think his choice is related to "he was done" kind of things : he finished 2011 number 30, a final in Metz where he fought hard against Tsonga, semifinal in Beijing ATP500.

In my opinion he just made a choice, either personal (young children) or professional (an opportunity or maybe he will work a lot about all the mess made by some players about the schedule)

·
Registered
4,386 Posts

·
Registered
32,170 Posts
:sad: :sad: :sad: All of a sudden really,didnt expect this.Thought he will play at least till the end of the year :hug:

I hope he'll have at least few more wins.Have a great farewell Ivan.My number 1 forever.:sad: :rocker2:

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Sad news. So many guys retiring this year - Gonzo, Ljubicic - probably the final year for Haas and Hewitt - perhaps only one more season for Roddick and Ferrero - end of an era. :sad:

But good for him for deciding his game wasn't up to it anymore - think the travelling becomes more difficult when you have kids too - he mentioned missing his family in one of Aus Open KIA drive videos. Not everyone has the luxury that Fed has of carting his family & nannies around the world with him... Hope he'll take on a coaching/management role - smart guy.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Awww, so sad to hear this. :sad:
Still, very understandable. He seemed to be struggling a lot as of late, and as of him having a loving family I can well see why he made this decision.
Didn't the guy manage to get his 1st and ever Master's title at the age of 31, two years ago in IW? WOW. :worship:

One of the most classy and friendly players of the past decade. :worship:

I will remember him with affection.
Have a great post-tennis life, LEGENDA!!!

I wouldn't mind it if he changes his mind... :sad:

LEGENDA will remain a legend forever! :rocker2:

1 - 20 of 166 Posts