Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stumbled upon a short story, by Jack London (a writer I normally associated with wilderness writing, & etc.,) and it's science fiction. I'm a little bit stunned. ...I like science fiction, and hadn't read any of Jack London's stuff, so I'm amazed.

Does anybody else have any flabbergasting (pardon the silly phrase--) new perspectives, on famous writers?

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
...and my late, reputedly related, acquaintence: Arthur Charles Clarke

Wrote MUCH. Of which I've read little. :( ...Might have been quite the literary humanist. (I dunno, I've only read
2001, a space odyssey (novel-sf, 1968)
2010, odyssey two (823.914, 1982)
2061: odyssey three (823.914, c1987/1988)
Rendezvous with Rama (823.914, 1973)
Tales from the White Hart (ss-sf, 1970)

Much embarrassment.)

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
I stumbled upon a short story, by Jack London (a writer I normally associated with wilderness writing, & etc.,) and it's science fiction. I'm a little bit stunned. ...I like science fiction, and hadn't read any of Jack London's stuff, so I'm amazed.

Does anybody else have any flabbergasting (pardon the silly phrase--) new perspectives, on famous writers?
I think that a rather lame movie with Adrian Broody, "The Jacket", was based on Jack London's book.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think that a rather lame movie with Adrian Broody, "The Jacket", was based on Jack London's book.
According to IMDB.com (Internet Movie DataBase--)
Writing credits
(WGA)
Tom Bleecker (story) and
Marc Rocco (story)

Massy Tadjedin (screenplay)
I see the Jack London novel--"The Jacket"; was published in the U.S. as "The Star Rover."

Somewhat on topic, my favorite SciFi author: Joe Haldeman, steals scenarios from classics {Shakespeare, Swift} for novels and short stories. Caught him at it twice: All My Sins Remembered-->Hamlet

To Howard Hughes: a modest proposal-->A Modest Proposal (Swift)

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also highly recommend the Portuguese Eça de Queirós' books :worship:
Thanks. I've just spent about an hour reading his online biography.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You're right, of course, about the authorage, if not it's lameness. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts