Mens Tennis Forums banner

Your preference: Line judges vs. Electronic Line Calling?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I watched Zverev vs. Anderson on Ash recently, I was shocked to see lines persons. In my unbiased opinion the machine does a much better job, get Skynet back in action ASAP I'd say.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I'm a bit torn on this. On the one hand there are obvious advantages to using the machines.
On the other hand I found the challenge system with Hawkeye kind of fun. There's some excitement and drama to see if a player's challenge was right or not.

So the jury is still out on this one for me.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I'm a bit torn on this. On the one hand there are obvious advantages to using the machines.
On the other hand I found the challenge system with Hawkeye kind of fun. There's some excitement and drama to see if a player's challenge was right or not.

So the jury is still out on this one for me.
same here

·
Registered
663 Posts
Electronic line calling is better but line judges shouldn't lose their jobs because of it, not yet, anyways.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I find it very weird that the top players on the main courts are not given the best technology and the fairest conditions.
Probably more viewership on the bigger courts where the trend of Hawk Eye and challenging calls is already well established.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Everyone who votes for line judges just should be permabanned.

Reactions: bjurra

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
I love the fact that the calls are virtually error-free with hawkeye, but with so many people losing their jobs during this pandemic, I’d hate for linesmen to lose them, too.

Ultimately I wouldn’t mind if hawkeye replaced linesmen in the future.

·
Registered
16,671 Posts
I'm all for the electronic system, it does not allow any space for mistakes.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I like electronic calling more, last week it worked well. I guess here the sponsor is Chase, so they have to find a way to mention the bank as many times as possible so they have umpires for some courts - now for the Chase Review..

·
Banned
11,000 Posts
LOL, I voted for line judges when I wanted electronic calls. But looking at the poll, gonna leave it there, don't want the line judges to get destroyed out of respect.
But for real, there is no advantage in using line judges other than the usual drama when they make horrible mistakes. While some spectators might love this drama, I don't think players want any of it, especially when they are on the wrong side, being robbed.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Lol at people feeling sorry for the employment situation of the lines people. Do you think calling lines is their main source of income? They take a few weeks off their regular jobs and go to a few US series events, probably getting paid peanuts but they have fun and get to travel and share courts with top players if they are lucky and do a good job.

I am sure they are sad about the new technology but I doubt they are worse off financially.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
The electronic line call technology is obviously impressive and gets my vote for fairness but i do have some sympathy for line judges. In the end i don't necessarily want to see robots controlling us, this is just the beginning and set a precedent.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
If you miss line judges so much, there will be plenty of clay tennis starting from Monday

1 - 20 of 40 Posts