Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not quite sure why one would go for a dip in the sea in the middle of the night if he couldnt swim, but there you go:

http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/V3/L0/S57/E5265/sport_Lng0_Spo57_Evt5265_Sto400585.shtml

Line judge drowns in sea

A line judge at the Mexican Open tennis tournament drowned in the sea at Acapulco in the early hours of Wednesday morning, tournament organisers said.

Lisette Trepaud said the accident happened when 22-year-old Juan Carlos Ortiz Onofre, who had only recently qualified as a line judge, went for a midnight dip in the sea with some of his colleagues.

"The boys left the stadium early, then they went to have dinner and at around half past twelve they went to the beach and didn't take any precautions," said Trepaud.

Avertano Cruz, the official in charge of the line judges, said Ortiz Onofre, who could not swim, was swept away by a wave after getting too close. Two other line judges who were with him could not swim either, he said.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Smart - maybe they should have stuck to what they know best and are qualified to do? Mind you, it's certainly an odd story, for the life of me I can't imagine a lines lady from Wimbledon doing the same thing and perishing in the process. I never realised that Acapulco was beside the sea - doesn't that have something to do with Moya's success there? His favourite and most successful tourney is Umag, a coastal town, and Monte Carlo is also close to the Mediterranean.

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Well, forgive me for not being fully conversant in Mexican geography, but I had a vague idea that Acapulco was located in mountainous terrain of some kind; apologies for the mix-up.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
damn, i was so hoping it was Jorge Diaz...:eek: :eek:

OK as a midnite swimmer myself, let me just say that there is nothing like a dip in the ocean under the stars. and i can understand how sexy Acapulco could've enticed the woman to try a dip, even if she didn't know how to swim. remember that you can drown in just a couple inches of water so she didn't have to be way out in the deep for this to happen. it's sad but macabrely funny nonetheless...;) ;)

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Unfortunately this type of drowning incident is typical. Young guns who want to hang with the crowd and not spoil the fun by not knowing how to swim.

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
tennischick said:
damn, i was so hoping it was Jorge Diaz...:eek: :eek:

OK as a midnite swimmer myself, let me just say that there is nothing like a dip in the ocean under the stars. and i can understand how sexy Acapulco could've enticed the woman to try a dip, even if she didn't know how to swim. remember that you can drown in just a couple inches of water so she didn't have to be way out in the deep for this to happen. it's sad but macabrely funny nonetheless...;) ;)
TC, I guess the name 'Juan Carlos' is more likely a 'he' than a 'she'.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
King Scotso of Aragon said:
and you're supposed to be mature?
hey king Spotso of tarragon:
please find me a single post in which i claimed "maturity". just one, that's all i ask, you ignorant fuck.

i don't know where this latest "maturity" kick of yours is coming from but really i just wish you would fuck off and stop responding to my posts. i enjoy GM so much when you are not here oh former Moderator...

hey Lee:
sorry i misread the original article and thought that "lisette" was the name of the drownee...

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
nice dodge. but you didn't answer my question. just find me a single post in which i laid claim to maturity or called you immature. just one asshole. can't find it can ya? :p :p

·
Registered
70,027 Posts
tennischick said:
i think there's a whole lot wrong with personal attacks which is why i NEVER initiate them. nothing ruins a discussion (or a board) faster then when people chose to personalise attacks on their faves. if someone says something negative about say, Agassi, i see no reason why i should see it as an attack on me. i am not Agassi -- i am me and the person wasn't attacking me!

an attack on hewitt is also not an attack on you personally. but if you chose to personalise it and then attack me, i'm damned if i'm going to roll over and play dead.

but i will never attack you first. i don't mean to sound holier than thou but it is my personal policy and i always stick to it. i have honestly never initiated a personal attack against anyone. and even when i am attacked, my first response is to PM the person and try to resolve it that way. ask dr. marly. and when that fails, well then my gloves come off.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
[Admin edit]
thank you VERY much for quoting that post of mine. i am thrilled to confirm that i DO stick to my position. :) :)

i didn't attack you first. in fact, i wasn't even speaking to you when i made that comment about Jorge Diaz. it was you who responded by attacking me and insinuating that i was being immature. what the fuck was i supposed to do at that point -- roll over and play dead?? in your dreams asswipe. so i responded to your attack by telling you to fuck off. i still mean it.

hey Spotso, why don't you run back to the Potato Patch and cream over the Potato's latest pix? :wavey:

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Acapulco is one of the most famous beach resorts in the world. ergo is on the coast ;)

Now seriously it's a sad story, poor boy.

Acapulco is mainly settled around a bay, so the sea is pretty calm, it's safe even for lil kids. But the installations of the mexican open are out of the bay area, they are in the "open sea", the beach that is in front of the Stadium is called "el revolcadero", that could be translated like "The knocker beach". So, you can imagine what kind of waves and tide you can see there.
That is a dangerous beach to swim if you aren't a good swimmer, extremely beautiful though.
It's a disgrace. Poor man. :sad:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Acapulco is a major vacation resort and it's near Cancun. Together they are two of the top spring break destinations in these parts of the world....It's very tropical and they are wild going ons. I imagine the players are having a ball down there.

Back to the story, Those Line judges didn't seem to be to smart. And now you have to question their ability to judge a match.

It's sad but they should have used better judgement. ..hence the word judge....it's really sad.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quite.

I like Jorge Dias though, I met him and he was lovely, in a 'like-a-friends-nice-Dad' type of way...

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
What's the betting that a few of the 'friends' that Dias' daughter knows happen to be called Hewitt and Henman, amongst others?

Oh, and since I've now been labelled Data albeit jokingly on the Abracadabra thread, everyone should check out this thread to see how I am actually very foolish and didn't even know that Acapulco was situated beside the sea; so much for my impressive geography (I don't want people to think I'm getting at all hot under the collar about this, mind, because really I'm not...)

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
Sjengster said:
Oh, and since I've now been labelled Data albeit jokingly on the Abracadabra thread, everyone should check out this thread to see how I am actually very foolish and didn't even know that Acapulco was situated beside the sea; so much for my impressive geography (I don't want people to think I'm getting at all hot under the collar about this, mind, because really I'm not...)
Sjengster, Data is my favorite character! He is very sweet, IMO ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts