Mens Tennis Forums banner
61 - 80 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Its true when it doesnt go well in work it effects your whole life.
Im working in healthcare in a home with people who have mental disorders and its so hard to stay stabile and do your job.
Especilly now with Covid the mental problems from the clients has become much worse and its sometimes almost impossible to take care of them and to guide them

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Then invest in a well paying skill. If you don't have influential connections to provide you with a good job without having any skills, then this is the way to go.
It might take 1-2 years of dedication. But good things don't come easily.
True. I coded for 10 years but couldn't climb the career ladder. And the problem with coding is that there is no middle ground. You're either a great programmer or you're nothing. The trouble in coding is that you feel lost and stuck not knowing where to go and noone can help you besides them saying "It's all in the documentation". Dude I read the documentation and I cannot understand it and they're like you have to learn it and we don't spoonfeed in this company.
And then you see others solving the problem but also in half the time and that makes you insecure and frustrated.

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
no thank God not. I just give the raw data, other people do the work on that. Sometimes though data entry is ironically the more relaxing part of my work, because I know it won't change.
That's good. Does your job have union protection? How safe is your job(besides layoffs over budget). I mean how safe is it from 'bad' performance?

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Its true when it doesnt go well in work it effects your whole life.
Im working in healthcare in a home with people who have mental disorders and its so hard to stay stabile and do your job.
Especilly now with Covid the mental problems from the clients has become much worse and its sometimes almost impossible to take care of them and to guide them
That sucks. I'm sorry you're having a hard time at work specially now with Covid. When work is good, you feel so free and like a king nothing can stop you. But when work is going bad you think how can I survive this and that's when you feel like is too long.

So many people say life is too short. I'm like really? I think life is way too long specially from the 30s to retirement. I think what they mean is that the good times are too short which I agree with. Good times tend to flyby quickly while the bad times feel like an eternity.

Reactions: chrisr

·
Premium Member
7,366 Posts
True. I coded for 10 years but couldn't climb the career ladder. And the problem with coding is that there is no middle ground. You're either a great programmer or you're nothing. The trouble in coding is that you feel lost and stuck not knowing where to go and noone can help you besides them saying "It's all in the documentation". Dude I read the documentation and I cannot understand it and they're like you have to learn it and we don't spoonfeed in this company.
And then you see others solving the problem but also in half the time and that makes you insecure and frustrated.
My experience is very similar. Wasn't able to figure things on my own easily at first. I was barely able to cling on to my first coding job, noone helped newbies there. And I was in way over my head. But I tried to improve my skill in my spare time. I also kept looking for other jobs. And I managed to find a part time in a company where they helped way more, so that helped me evolve faster. The part time soon became my full time and is helping me grow my skills everyday. All they asked for at the new job was for me to put in the effort. If I got stuck, they would help, but they tried to push me as much as possible. I started to figure things out on my own easier. And mind you, I don't like coding, I do it 100% for the money.

If you don't like coding it would be an uphill battle. But you can make good money even as an average junior developer, trust me, I'm still pretty much a newbie. The demand for coders is very high.
If you go on this road search for jobs where they help you develop. Noone expects a junior to be able to do much. But they expect him to put in the effort.

Even if you go an a different road, it still applies. Work on your skill daily and keep searching.

@Andrej if you don't mind saying, what kind of skill multiplied your salary by 6?
Coding.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Does the govt give you money if you don't have a job? If so, how much and for how long?
Fortunately, I haven't needed it but, yes, you can get unemployment benefit from the Social Insurance Institution (Kela). The basic rate is €33.78 per day, five days per week (on average €726 per month), but you get more if you care for a child/children under the age of 18. The rate is also increased when you participate in what are called employment promoting services (study, training, etc.). If you are a member of an unemployment fund (e.g. through a trade union), you can apply for an earnings-related unemployment allowance.

The basic unemployment allowance is payable for a maximum period of 400 days (300 days if you have been working for a total of less than three years). But:
The unemployment allowance is payable for a maximum of 500 days for unemployed persons who have met the work requirement after reaching the age of 58 years. Ageing unemployed persons who satisfy the work requirement are eligible for additional days of unemployment allowance and can take advantage of a kind of unemployment path to retirement.
However, if you are still unemployed when the allowance runs out, you can apply for what is termed the labour market subsidy, which is paid at the same rate, i.e. €33.78/day, with the same increases for childcare and participation in employment promoting services.

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Fortunately, I haven't needed it but, yes, you can get unemployment benefit from the Social Insurance Institution (Kela). The basic rate is €33.78 per day, five days per week (on average €726 per month), but you get more if you care for a child/children under the age of 18. The rate is also increased when you participate in what are called employment promoting services (study, training, etc.). If you are a member of an unemployment fund (e.g. through a trade union), you can apply for an earnings-related unemployment allowance.

The basic unemployment allowance is payable for a maximum period of 400 days (300 days if you have been working for a total of less than three years). But:

However, if you are still unemployed when the allowance runs out, you can apply for what is termed the labour market subsidy, which is paid at the same rate, i.e. €33.78/day, with the same increases for childcare and participation in employment promoting services.
726..does that cover rent and groceries?

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
726..does that cover rent and groceries?
If the unemployment allowance is not enough to cover the rent and other living expenses, there's also what is called the general housing allowance for low-income households:

Amount and payment
The general housing allowance is 80% of the difference between the acceptable housing costs and the basic deductible. Persons with very low incomes need pay no basic deductible. If the amount of acceptable housing costs exceeds the maximum housing costs, the amount of the allowance will be calculated based on the maximum costs.

Calculation formula for the housing allowance
0.8 x (acceptable housing costs – basic deductible)

Example: One-person household living in Turku
Jaakko lives alone in his apartment which is located in Turku. He pays EUR 615 in rent each month. He has no other housing-related costs.
For purposes of the housing allowance, his income is considered to be EUR 726 per month.

The basic deductible is calculated according to the following formula:
0.42 x [EUR 726 – (EUR 606 + EUR 100 x 1 + EUR 224 x 0)] =
0.42 x (EUR 726 – EUR 706) = 0.42 x 20 = EUR 8.40 per month.

Because the basic deductible is less than EUR 10 it is waived.

The maximum housing costs for single persons living in Turku are EUR 400 per month. Because the rent exceeds the maximum housing costs, the housing allowance is calculated according to the maximum costs.

The housing allowance is equal to 80% of maximum housing costs, or EUR 400 x 0.8 = EUR 320 per month.

Jaakko pays EUR 615 - EUR 320 = EUR 295 per month out of pocket.

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
If the unemployment allowance is not enough to cover the rent and other living expenses, there's also what is called the general housing allowance for low-income households:
I guess now I have to find a way to immigrate to Finland.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: Ranne and chrisr

·
Registered
108 Posts
Fed’s lack of a future shouldn’t make you sad. It’s part of the circle of life. From other posts you’ve made, it sounds like you don’t have a family. Don’t give up hope: Rafa will make you happy!!!!

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Believe me its impossible to immigrate to Europe , or you must got a job here ??
or marry a European. I think that might be the hardest route though. Maybe you can help me with that lol

• Haha
Reactions: chrisr

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·

·
Registered
142 Posts
@monfed @Andrej

Oh you are both coders, interesting! :) Out of curiosity, which programming languages do you know?

I have been learning JavaScript for a bit more than half a year already, and I must say, this is very hard for me (and JS is just considered to be medium difficult or below compared to other languages lol).

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
UK isn't that much far away from the US interms of social welfare other than free healthcare. I would much rather live in Finland/Denmark/Netherlands. Too bad their immigration systems are so tight specially 🇩🇰
Well In UK you have 5.6 weeks paid vacation days. USA zero, no?
The thing is the culture shock for an indian-american guy like yourself is the smallest in the UK. And the UK is more diverse. You could start your new life in the UK. Travel around Europe at weekends and holidays. Getting a feeling for the different european countrys, language and culture.
Don'T want to be rude, but scandiavia and netherlands are pretty white with completely different mentality and language. With your views on woman and life in general you would be pretty much an outsider.

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
@monfed @Andrej

Oh you are both coders, interesting! :) Out of curiosity, which programming languages do you know?

I have been learning JavaScript for a bit more than half a year already, and I must say, this is very hard for me (and JS is just considered to be medium difficult or below compared to other languages lol).
JS is one of the hardest languages to learn. I hate it, jquery was such a relief. JS is not a good language to start programing, you may have done it because you tried to code out a website didn't you? lol

I've come from a C background. Function pointers in C is the hardest thing I've ever learnt. Dont let pointers scare you.
Start with C. Learn it well and by well I mean dive into a large codebase(>5000 lines).Understand how the code works and how the logic flows. Dont directly goto stack overflow. Read the documentation and then come to MTF to cry how much life sucks. I'm joking but am I really?

I would say start with Python, best beginner language to learn programming though I started with Java and C.

Dont do web programming unless you want to do UI/UX.

Reactions: Zoofan

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Well In UK you have 5.6 weeks paid vacation days. USA zero, no?
The thing is the culture shock for an indian-american guy like yourself is the smallest in the UK. And the UK is more diverse. You could start your new life in the UK. Travel around Europe at weekends and holidays. Getting a feeling for the different european countrys, language and culture.
Don'T want to be rude, but scandiavia and netherlands are pretty white with completely different mentality and language. With your views on woman and life in general you would be pretty much an outsider.
US sucks for the middle class. Its a rich man's country.

Does UK give welfare if you don't have a job?

61 - 80 of 134 Posts