Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/33749208

A third of medals (146, including 55 golds) in endurance events at the Olympics and World Championships between 2001 and 2012 were won by athletes who have recorded suspicious tests. It is claimed none of these athletes have been stripped of their medals.

More than 800 athletes - one in seven of those named in the files - have recorded blood tests described by one of the experts as "highly suggestive of doping or at the very least abnormal".

A top UK athlete is among seven Britons with suspicious blood scores.

British athletes - including Olympic champion heptathlete Jessica Ennis-Hill - have lost out in major events to competitors who were under suspicion.

Ten medals at London 2012 were won by athletes who have dubious test results.

In some finals, every athlete in the three medal positions had recorded a suspicious blood test.

Russia emerges as "the blood testing epicentre of the world" with more than 80% of the country's medals won by suspicious athletes, while Kenya had 18 medals won by suspicious athletes
Stars such as Britain's Mo Farah and Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt recorded no abnormal results.

Athletes are increasingly using blood transfusions and EPO micro-doses to boost the red cell count.
Not all suspicious results will be doping for sure, but with 1/3 suspects it is sadly clear that the sport is still ridden by the disease.

Obviously Mo Farah is currently at the centre of the Oragon Project shitstorm and I hear all sorts of stuff about how limited the Jamaican testing programme is so those two shouldn't be discounted either.

inb4 Russians claim a British press conspiracy

inb4 Fujee claims the silver medalist at the 2012 Olympic time trial should be executed for treason

·
G!G!L!
724 Posts
Re: Levels of doping in athletics "extraordinary" according to investigation

I still follow athletics because I do love the sport, but it's hard not to view it now without being suspicious of virtually everyone. It's sad that the findings of this investigation - & the recent allegations re: Salazar - don't surprise me in the least.

The sport has been rife with doping problems since at least the 1980's. It's ridiculous that the IAAF allow the obviously doped world records (Koch, Kratochvilova, Griffith-Joyner etc) still to stand.

Personally I think it would be best if they expunged all the pre-mandatory doping test records & started again with a clean slate. It doesn't look great if some of the world records, which should be the pinnacle of the sport, are approaching 30+ years old & almost certainly all set by heavily doped athletes.

Introducing stricter deterrents/longer or life bans for offenders should help, but I doubt it's a problem that can ever completely go away at this point. Too many ways to stay one step ahead of the testers.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts

TigerTim, Tony Martin was silver, Froome was Bronze at 2012 TT ;)

On topic: Oh but of course our favourite athletes wouldn't dare dope :haha:

·
Registered
3,848 Posts

Extremely surprising...

·
Your visions will happen
51,465 Posts

The dopers will ALWAYS be one step ahead of the testers, always

Extremely surprising...
:lol:

·
Registered
7,347 Posts

When sport is mixed with money, the corruption is always there in several forms, no matter what you do, this is inherent in our human condition. Sad but true. But we cannot convert the sport into a doping conspiracy and we have to keep the principle of innocence towards everybody that hasn't been proved guilty.

·
Registered
13,904 Posts

Surprise, surprise. Tennis and football are not that different but they'd never be exposed.

I also love how Mo Farah and Usain Bolt were one of the few names to be named NOT to be doping, according to the allegations. How surprising (again) that where the money is, there is no way they dope.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts

But we cannot convert the sport into a doping conspiracy and we have to keep the principle of innocence towards everybody that hasn't been proved guilty.

Yes.

We should ASSUME that everyone is innocent, NO MATTER WHAT THE CIRCUMSTANTIAL EVIDENCE IS AGAINST THEM. We should worship these FRAUDS, EVEN IF IT IS 99% LIKELY THAT THEY ARE DOPING CHEATS !

The same way that the Lance Armstrong fans worshipped him, when everyone had strong suspicions against him.

Here is a GLARING article from 2009 about Tennis players rejecting tougher drug testing.

Serena Williams joins clamour against drug-testing

Me thinks they do protest too much.

·
Premium Member
29,538 Posts

Luckily tennis is the one sport that is totally clean and exempt from performance enhancing drugs.

Our top players wouldn't even dream of trying something like this.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts

As long as no one is doping in Ninja Warrior or Dodgeball I am ok.

·
Registered
12,617 Posts

This is why I do not really care for endurance sports like running and cycling.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts

This is why I do not really care for endurance sports like running and cycling.
This! Endurance no skill sports like Cycling, Athletics or Nordic Skiing are really meaningless and of course doping is rampant and wide spread there since they rare all bout endurance and power, and require no skills at all.

That is why I am sure tennis is clean, despite of several snotty ignorant remarks here.

You need real skills and technique to play tennis and there is no doping to help you improve your FH or ROS.

·
G!G!L!
724 Posts

You need real skills and technique to play tennis and there is no doping to help you improve your FH or ROS.
Nothing will help your technique, I agree, but in a match between, say, 2 evenly matched top 50 players of similar technical skill, doping can certainly help with your stamina/endurance levels, particularly if the match is a long, tough five setter.

I don't know for certain if doping is an issue in tennis, but I think it would be naive to think that there is no benefit that could be gained from it. Doping speeds up your recovery and enables you to train for that bit longer/harder. The additional boost to fitness levels that this gives can make all the difference at the end of a match. When you consider the huge increases in prize money to be made for each round won at a tournament (not to mention potential endorsements etc) that these guys are playing for, there's your incentive to dope.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts

Nothing will help your technique, I agree, but in a match between, say, 2 evenly matched top 50 players of similar technical skill, doping can certainly help with your stamina/endurance levels, particularly if the match is a long, tough five setter.

I don't know for certain if doping is an issue in tennis, but I think it would be naive to think that there is no benefit that could be gained from it. Doping speeds up your recovery and enables you to train for that bit longer/harder. The additional boost to fitness levels that this gives can make all the difference at the end of a match. When you consider the huge increases in prize money to be made for each round won at a tournament (not to mention potential endorsements etc) that these guys are playing for, there's your incentive to dope.
There's none so deaf as them that will not hear.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts