Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, Murray did a horrible perfomance today and there is absolutly no excuse, but Gulbis was just as bad. There is only one difference: the way their opponents treat their matches.

Nadal was always with his head in this match! He played great almost all the time. The only time he was kind of meh, was in the 2nd half of the 1st set, but the break was already made and he held his service games kind of easily.

Nole on the other hand had his usually mental lapses where he seemed mad and distant, specially in the 3rd set, where he totally donated it to Gulbis.

Not saying Rafa is a clear favourite for sunday. That will be a totally different day and a tottally different match-up. Even the conditions may be different. But what made the difference about the scores today, was not Gulbis or Murray: it washow mentally the favourites were in this match. Nadal was 100% on it, Nole wasn't. Period.

·
Banned
5,616 Posts
Gulbis: serving better, returning better, moving better, dropshot better, backhand better, forehand better.
:confused:
But still, Nadal was clearly better than Djokovic too.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
40/44 >>>> 11/26 in W/UEs.
70% > 63% in 1st service points won.
53% > 34% in 2nd service points won.
2/7 >>> 0/0 in BPs.
32% >>> 17% on return points won.

Stop trolling. Even though Gulbis was far from his best and Djokovic was mediocre, there is no comparing Gulbis and Mugray's performances. Also Gulbis had 19/5 W/UE in the 3rd set so anyone who fails to give him credit he deserves for actually upping his game and taking that set, is a complete douche.

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gulbis: serving better, returning better, moving better, dropshot better, backhand better, forehand better.
:confused:
But still, Nadal was clearly better than Djokovic too.
Yes, Gulbis was much more agressive than Murray, but that's just the way he is. He still missed a lot of shots trying to go all in. Of course some of them were winners, but most of them ended up in the net. Bottom line, playing more agressive doesn't mean playing better.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Both were bad. Gulbis couldn't hit a good forehand to save his life. Murray had no power and fight and played with zero tactic. But still Gulbis was about 25% better than Murphy.

Both semis were very boring. So we need a good final to save RG.

That said Nadal's forehand was on fire today.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Nole was sick. Rafa's career is as good as over. My sources are telling me he is buying a boat to become a fisherman

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
If you'd phrased it as Nadal played much better than Djokovic today (which is pretty much your point anyway) noone could have disagreed...

I think it's a bit harsh on Gulbis to say he played at a similar level to Murray though :lol:. That was Murray's worst match all year.

·
Registered
21,308 Posts
Murray was completely exhausted after long rambling matches and has been plagued by poor conditioning this entire year, so it's unsurprising he did play much worse than Gulbis.

·
Banned
6,672 Posts
Nole was sick. Rafa's career is as good as over. My sources are telling me he is buying a boat to become a fisherman
My sources don't quite agree with yours, although they say something similar. They say he's buying a boat to smuggle drugs from the African shore into Spain as he will soon be stripped of all his titles and prize money. I couldn't quite make out what the reason for that was though.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Have a feeling that OP didn't even watch those matches and is blinding defending Murray or something.

Gulbis didn't play all that well but at least he tried, Murray didn't even bother trying whatsoever, zero break point on Nadal's serve, didn't save any of his own break points, very few rallies in the entire match because Murray was too busy hitting those stupid unforced errors.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Gulbis was clearly better, not good but better....

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
Yes, Gulbis was much more agressive than Murray, but that's just the way he is. He still missed a lot of shots trying to go all in. Of course some of them were winners, but most of them ended up in the net. Bottom line, playing more agressive doesn't mean playing better.
Amazing logic, should make a textbook for several fallacies, including blatantly disregarding the facts provided :worship: MTF's best only.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts