Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't see this new generation of young players being better than the Dimitrov/Raonic one. I think the golden age of tennis 1980-2010 will never be matched again.

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
I don't see this new generation of young players being better than the Dimitrov/Raonic one. I think the golden age of tennis 1980-2010 will never be matched again.
2 things.

1. I don't think you can judge them based on only a couple of slams. They all are just 18-20. Raonic/Dimitrov/Nishikori always folded or were not good enough against the "Big 4". These youngsters already have a win against Rafa/Roger/Murray. It is too early to call anything. But they all have the will to fight it out and I am sure we will see Thiem/Coric/Kyrgios/Zverev playing well and fighting for the top prizes.

2. If you want to consider anything as "Golden era", why end at 2010. 2011 and 2012(2013 to an extent too) were equally good with lot of great matches, and I personally feel it is not crediting Djokovic enough.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2 things.

1. I don't think you can judge them based on only a couple of slams. They all are just 18-20. Raonic/Dimitrov/Nishikori always folded or were not good enough against the "Big 4". These youngsters already have a win against Rafa/Roger/Murray. It is too early to call anything. But they all have the will to fight it out and I am sure we will see Thiem/Coric/Kyrgios/Zverev playing well and fighting for the top prizes.

2. If you want to consider anything as "Golden era", why end at 2010. 2011 and 2012(2013 to an extent too) were equally good with lot of great matches, and I personally feel it is not crediting Djokovic enough.
1. Of course they will be fighting for the top prizes. The big four will not be playing for ever.

2. To me Djokovic belongs to the generation of 2005-2006, so I'm not discrediting him.

·
Registered
19,673 Posts
I don't think you can judge them based on only a couple of slams. They all are just 18-20. Raonic/Dimitrov/Nishikori always folded or were not good enough against the "Big 4". These youngsters already have a win against Rafa/Roger/Murray.
I don't think you can judge them based on only 1-1-1 win, achieved when Nadal/Murray were in their bad form/off day and Fed was in Olderer mode.

It is too early to call anything. But they all have the will to fight it out and I am sure we will see Thiem/Coric/Kyrgios/Zverev playing well and fighting for the top prizes.
Early in that sense that you cannot predict how they will fare against each other and in the field when aged 22-30, i.e. in their possible prime.
However you should be able to predict whether they will be some big talents and win many slams, like Fedalovic. It looks that we will look forward to really dire years, when the Big4 will be gone...

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think you can judge them based only 1-1-1 win, achieved when Nadal/Murray was in their bad form/off day and Fed in Olderer mode.
Exactly. In the past, young talents win GS, now their best achievement is winning a game against one of the top players.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
The flaw in that analysis is that they're already miles ahead of where Dimitrov and Raonic were, in terms of slam performances and in terms of rankings, at the same age.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The flaw in that analysis is that they're already miles ahead of where Dimitrov and Raonic were, in terms of slam performances and in terms of rankings, at the same age.
The flaw in that analysis is that the new generation is facing less quality competition than Dimitrov and Raonic when they started they career.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
No, I think they are definetly better than the Raonic&Dimitrov generation.

However, they still are nowhere close the golden generation of Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and so on.

They are also really, really young. Maybe Kyrgios is the only one that is in a hurry to proof himself, I believe he will do that in Wimbledon.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
The flaw in that analysis is that the new generation is facing less quality competition than Dimitrov and Raonic when they started they career.
Surely, strong era warriors like Zemlja or Montanes were too tough for them. Kei for example improved very much in 2014, he was mainly a challenger player in 2010. The same for Grigor, only in 2013 he was the shining star, till then he was useless. Nick is the first male teenager since Fed to have 2 QFs, so calm down.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
1. Of course they will be fighting for the top prizes. The big four will not be playing for ever.

2. To me Djokovic belongs to the generation of 2005-2006, so I'm not discrediting him.
:stupid::help::cuckoo::superlol:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
The thing is these guys will be the names playing at the top of the game in a few years whether we like it or not. Might as well deal with it now.

Personally I think it will be a weaker time for tennis but relative quality won't be that noticeable because in the end there will still be high quality matches. Players like Murray will be unfortunate because I'm sure at the end of it statistically he'll have a weaker career than many who follow even though his competition will have been that much tougher, but in the end that's the way it goes.

Kyrgios, Coric, Thiem, Kokkinakis - none of them are particularly special for me but they will be contesting latter stages of slams in a few years so as I said, just start getting used to it and find someone to support - for me Thiem is the one whose game resonates best for me although TK is also okay.

·
Registered
21,283 Posts
Some poor quality trolling from the OP here.

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
The thing is these guys will be the names playing at the top of the game in a few years whether we like it or not. Might as well deal with it now.

Personally I think it will be a weaker time for tennis but relative quality won't be that noticeable because in the end there will still be high quality matches. Players like Murray will be unfortunate because I'm sure at the end of it statistically he'll have a weaker career than many who follow even though his competition will have been that much tougher, but in the end that's the way it goes.

Kyrgios, Coric, Thiem, Kokkinakis - none of them are particularly special for me but they will be contesting latter stages of slams in a few years so as I said, just start getting used to it and find someone to support - for me Thiem is the one whose game resonates best for me although TK is also okay.

Yes your are right Thiem is the best of them now. Maybe Kokkinakis is next one. They both have good heads for the game. They do not looking for glory as Dimi,Kyrgios and maybe it is better for them playing without pressure.

·
Registered
97,310 Posts
what i know is that kokkinakis has the best name

this will be hard to match for the old generation

1 - 20 of 35 Posts