Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The epidemic is out of control by now. In Italy there are each day 2.000 more affected people and 200 deaths, other european countries will soon reach those numbers.
Virus is spreading everywhere and at the moment there's no way it can be stopped.
Best case scenario, the season will re-start with U.S. Open (but i wouldn't bet on this).

My question is: who's the biggest loser from the suspension?
Nadal for missing FO, Thiem for the same reason, Djokovic for missing both FO and W or who else?
And who will be the shoo-in at USO after the six months suspension?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
The epidemic is out of control by now. In Italy there are each day 2.000 more affected people and 200 deaths, other european countries will soon reach those numbers.
Virus is spreading everywhere and at the moment there's no way it can be stopped.
Best case scenario, the season will re-start with U.S. Open (but i wouldn't bet on this).

Nadal for missing FO, Thiem for the same reason, Djokovic for missing both FO and W or who else?
Federer! As W was LAST CHANCE to WIN GS!

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Come to that , Fed would seem to be the most affected in the shortest term, his wimby chance . But in the long run it gives him one more year with the record and a lost year to nadal and djokovic.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Djokovic for sure. I'm his fan, but.. this whole pandemic thing is terrible. This used to be his best season. He said himself that he will push this year to the limit, but now.. I don't know. If USO is next slam, where he is not that good and he blew it.. I'm afraid he missed his chance to catch up on Rogie.

Sorry for my english...

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Djokovic for sure. I'm his fan, but.. this whole pandemic thing is terrible. This used to be his best season. He said himself that he will push this year to the limit, but now.. I don't know. If USO is next slam, where he is not that good and he blew it.. I'm afraid he missed his chance to catch up on Rogie.

Sorry for my english...
Your English is quite good , I agree with you except the pessimistic last sentence . He will have a lot of years to catch up, the race is on till 2023 and who knows with these 3 may be even beyond that

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
May as well be rejuvenation season for the big3 this whole mess , as far as we know

·
Registered
8,355 Posts
Biggest losers is anyone outside the top 100 trying to make a living off of tennis!

All challengers and ITF players are going to go hungry and broke.
This.

Federer, Nadal and Djokovic have more titles and cash than they deserve, let’s be honest here. They’ll be just fine.

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
I am now very pessimistic about the situation in Europe after i took note of the drastic measures that were displayed in China (something we are not capable of in our extra liberal world) yet after 3 months they still get new cases despite the efforts...

·
Registered
647 Posts
The virus will be present all year round somewhere around the world. Australian cases will ramp up over winter, when it is summer in Europe. Are we going to have tournaments where players will be banned from travelling into the country on a regular basis, according to the corona virus? Maybe it is best for low ranked players to relocate every now and then... If they can afford to do they are away from the virus

·
Registered
6,824 Posts

Sorry for my english...
Djoker is the biggest loser for sure. He has not lost a match so far and looks strong. Nadal is the second biggest loser as he might miss the chance to go level with Federer this year.

·
Registered
61 Posts

Nadal is a lock for Us Open. He has never lost there since 2007 when fully fit and fresh and playing close to his best.

Also Nadal is favourite at the FO next year and probably year after when he will only be 35. This enforced break will be wonderful for his knees.

It is worse news for Federer. It probably means Nadal and Djokovic prolong their careers and both surpass him. It is also bad news for Thiem Zverev Tsitispas et al who will not train as hard as Nadal and Djokovic and may find it hard to cope after the disruption.

The first two to get out of IW were Nadal and Djokovic. That spoke volumes.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Djoker is the biggest loser for sure. He has not lost a match so far and looks strong. Nadal is the second biggest loser as he might miss the chance to go level with Federer this year.
No. Nadal if fit and fresh is as big a favourite in New York as Paris. The loser is Federer as any long break adds to Nadal and Djokovic career.

·
6,702 Posts

Sorry for my english...
Nole has not done as well at the USO as he would have liked, but coming in there fresh is a bit different, similar to the AO at the start of the season, and give him a higher chance of winning it.
Overall, Djoker and Nadal are the biggest losers for sure.
I don't think Federer had enough time to be ready for winning Wimbledon,
And as Kowchi said, those fringe tour level players are really going to lose out as well.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
No. Nadal if fit and fresh is as big a favourite in New York as Paris. The loser is Federer as any long break adds to Nadal and Djokovic career.
No one has defended the US open in over ten years. That will continue if the US open gets played this year. To my knowledge, Nadal has never defended a major outside Paris.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I think anybody obsessed with social media I. E. Tsitipas, shapovalov will be too distracted to train hard. Meanwhile, the next, next gen will be catching up. And by the time the virus has lessened, there may be hardly any point in returning just for a couple of months or even less. Imagine that the tour only continues only from the Asian swing. What unpredictable results we will have for various reasons... No good can come of this unless you like random winners like WTA rather than through being simply superior and playing high level. Us open may need to be pushed back a little, then it may happen and we may have a good couple of months. But honestly, I don't like randomness and chaos in regards to scraping the barrel to see what we can salvage. I say we need clarity. The only way for clarity is to have a definitive no play period even if the virus improves. The low ranked players will lose out, but are we going to have just 2 or 3 masters series events and 1 slam, maybe a couple of 500 events and 250s and call it a season

·
Registered
165 Posts
While the virus is pretty serious, I do think this is an overreaction. As long as the governments take it seriously and put countries in lock down, I'd imagine the grass court season will be still played. It took China about 2 months to fully subside the outbreak and the cases have been on the decline since early february in that part of the world. If only the UK government stop messing around and take stuff seriously....

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It took China two or three months to contain the virus, not to wipe It out. If China will take 4 months to completely stop the epidemic, weak Europe will need at least 8 months.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Well, Federer is obviously the one who benefits the most. Nadal is 90% a lock to win RG and Djokovic was the favorite for Wimbledon. Next year NextGen will be stronger and Nadal and Djokovic a year older. This might kill Federer's slim chances of winning another slam but keeps him ahead in the race by hurting Nadal and Djokovic. The US Open is probably the most open slam as it can maybe be won by an outsider, RG was Nadal's and Wimbledon was a bit more open but Djokovic a clear favorite.

Reactions: hammett

·
Registered
33 Posts
Some sports around the world are pushing ahead with there seasons by locking out spectators why can't Tennis pursue this option? Tennis only has 1 or 2 players on either side of the court which lends itself to a reduced risk compared to team sporting events.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts