Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Could someone describe lesser known players, such as and specifically Volandri, Kendrick, Lee, Wawrinka, and Karlovic? I started seriously playing tennis about a year ago, and in my quest for knowledge, I am finding it very hard to find any information or video of lesser known players. Also,if possible, could people use this format: forehand, backhand, return of serve, netplay, defense, serve, mental strength, and overall? Thanks a lot!

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts
Re: Lesser known players dissected.

Could someone describe lesser known players, such as and specifically Volandri, Kendrick, Lee, Wawrinka, and Karlovic? I started seriously playing tennis about a year ago, and in my quest for knowledge, I am finding it very hard to find any information or video of lesser known players. Also,if possible, could people use this format: forehand, backhand, return of serve, netplay, defense, serve, mental strength, and overall? Thanks a lot!
Here's my take on it:

Volandri - strength is his one-handed backhand...gets some lovely cross court angles. Return of serve is fine, but struggles with the bigger servers. Netplay is non-existent. :tape: Has one of the slowest serves on the ATP tour...but kick serve is quite good. Defence is the key to his game...grinds out the points, but uses his backhand to open up the court. Mental strength isn't great, and he usually does poorly in the major events.

Kendrick - big (erratic) serve and a fairly good volley. Hits hard off both wings, but I wouldn't say he is a particularly good baseliner...usually prone to being out-ground by the average dirt-baller. Return of serve is average, and his career-best ranking gives you a clue as to his ability and mental strength imo.

Lee - one of the tour's best counter-punchers. Possesses a fine one-handed backhand. Serve isn't particularly big, but he sets up the point well with some fine service placement. Is capable of volleying, but usually has to be drawn into the net to actually make the journey. Mental strength...blowing a 6/3* triple-match point situation in a deciding set tiebreak (Tokyo 2007) against Karlovic wasn't one of his finer moments. :eek:

Wawrinka - possesses strength in practically all aspects of his game (although his volley is poor imo), but he is rather erratic. One-handed backhand is his strength, although he also hits some wicked forehands. Prefers to grind out the points, picking his moments to go for the "big finishes." Struggles to return serve effectively against the bigger servers. His mind can wander for 5 minutes per set. :scared:

Karlovic - possesses the world's best serve...can reach speeds up to 150mph and hit sickening angles out wide (don't EVER stand in a gangway between outside courts :haha: ). Also possesses a fine volley. His groundstrokes and service return were embarrassing only a couple of years ago, but he has made steady progress in that area...instead of previously relying on tiebreaks, he is now usually able to secure a break per set. However, I do feel that some people here overrate his improvement behind the serve/volley. :shrug: Has demonstrated huge mental strength over time (won many matches from match points down), using his serve well to get himself out of tricky situations.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Excellent analysis Slim Spadey :wavey: I gather Lee is your favorite ;)

@ FitDave What about Salva-Vidal :p

Another question: which players, if any, have decided to retire in 2008 :confused:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts