Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
17,914 Posts
He was the best grass court player overall in 2012-13, but he has had some bad matchups (like Nadal and Dimitrov) and this year he is yet to prove it.

So it's a bit premature to give such statements.
As I predicted, Murray won't win Wimby this year either.

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
It is like last year at WTF in London when Murray needed to beat Fed so he can play in SF. Then British pundits said before the match it would be easier for Murray to beat Fed than Nishikori. We saw what happened. It is a lot of hype around Murray as it was for Djokovic at FO. I am not sure that helps him at all.

·
Banned
923 Posts

·
Registered
6,866 Posts

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
He was the best grass court player overall in 2012-13, but he has had some bad matchups (like Nadal and Dimitrov) and this year he is yet to prove it.

Yeah Murray needs to thanks a lot to Del Potro. As far i can recall he played to nobody to Final against Djokovic. Yeah Verdasco in QF and Janovicz in SF. :)

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Leon Smith can hardly be expected to pick anyone else, being his former coach and Davis Cup captain after all. Add to the fact that it's silly season as far as the tennis hype that gets propagated in the British media.

That being said, the statement that Murray is the best grass court player in the world may well be true. The proof will be in the pudding so to speak; let's cast judgement after his performance at Wimbledon. I am cautiously optimistic about his chances to get to the final.

·
Registered
11,174 Posts
Murray is the greatest grass court player in the Milky Way ... world is too small

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
Confirmation from an unbiased analyst that Murray will eclipse Fed's 17 easily.

8 Wimbys will be only the beginning.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Oh lord, I wish somebody could somehow obliterate all the British Media until after Wimbledon. I'm a big fan of Andy's, having followed him since he was a junior, but the hype makes even me feel sick. Just leave him alone to prove himself if he can, for goodness' sake.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Juan Carlos Ferrero once was best clay court player in the World.

·
Administrator
6,247 Posts
Oh lord, I wish somebody could somehow obliterate all the British Media until after Wimbledon. I'm a big fan of Andy's, having followed him since he was a junior, but the hype makes even me feel sick. Just leave him alone to prove himself if he can, for goodness' sake.
Yeah it can be annoying and just raises false expectations for people to gloat over if he loses, but I suppose they won't exactly get the same amount of hits for "Murray Mediocre: Not much British interest this year" as for "Can Murray win Wimbledon?"

If, for some reason, you make the restriction to "the last three years" then there's no real reason you couldn't say Murray is the best grass player. With so little grass on the tour there is only one big tournament a year, and in those three years 3 players have won it and each made one other final, so there's not much in it. Djokovic technically has the best results at Wimbledon only since he made the semifinal the year he didn't make the final, but Murray and Federer have three other grass titles in the past three years, and Murray won the only other big grass tournament in the last three years at the Olympics so that gives him the edge. He definitely wasn't the best grass player last year, but best of the last three years, sure why not, just as Djokovic is best of the last five years and Federer is best of the last ten years. Murray might be the best grass court player right now, but Djokovic has not even played a competitive match yet this year and Federer and Murray have not played at the same tournament, so really it just remains to be seen who will be better at Wimbledon :shrug:

·
Registered
3,038 Posts

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
He is right, Murray is best player on grass courts in 2012-2015 period, Novak is the more consistent one so he is always No.1 favorit for Wimbledon, but not better player on grass courts i would give Andy higher chances at best of 3 matches at Queens/Halle over top 10 than Novak - who plays only Wimby best of 5 last few years - so he can proove his consistency there while best of 3 at Queens/Halle - would be much tougher for him.

With Roger it´s more difficult he is No.3 favorit for Wimbledon, because he can get upset more easily by in-form players, because his defense and baseline consistency is not as good as Andy/Novak.

So Novak and Roger are only real competition for Andy, but if we say he is best on grass it´s o.k. i think. 2014 - was pretty bad for obvious reaasons, but when he has normal seasons, his game suits on grass, has serve, volleys, return and results there - at both Wimby and Queens over the years

·
Registered
22,082 Posts

How was he the best grass player in 2012? Pretty sure that Federer beat him when it really mattered.

Federer accumulated more points on grass than Murray did, more than 600 points more.

·
Registered
17,914 Posts
He has been the best grasscourter in 2013, that's it. Nothing more, nothing less.
Correctly: he was the best grasscourter in 2013. You mean only that year, that is simple past, has no connotations with the present/or later happenings (present perfect).
I get why Fed fans won't agree with me in case of 2012 though. :)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts