Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dimitrov, who has failed to capitalise on his good start to the season and slumped to 16th in the world, has been in Florida having a hit with the Czech maestro earlier this week.

However, Lendl, who ended a successful stint with Murray in March 2014, told Dimitrov he would be unable to commit enough time to the job. Eight-time Grand Slam winner Lendl, who was Murray's coach when he won the 2012 US Open and Olympic Gold, is one of Dimitrov’s biggest admirers and predicted that the Bulgarian has the ability to jump to number 1 in the world.

But Lendl, who also rejected a coaching role with his compatriot Tomas Berdych, turned down the possibility to work with Dimitrov, saying he doesn’t want to travel the world as a coach again. After Lendl's refusal, Dimitrov, who ended his association with coach Roger Rasheed after losing in the third round at Wimbledon, turned to Sweden’s Johan Ortegren.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/tennis/595495/Tennis-Andy-Murray-Former-Coach-Ivan-Lendl-Rejects-Grigor-Dimitrov-Maria-Sharapova

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,849 Posts
Can't say anything bad for trying. Ivan's also got his own life. But whoever Dimitrov works with, hope it revives him with new perspective. Results may not come quick but as least he's got a new voice tactically.

·
Bring it Home
21,029 Posts
Dimitrov, who has failed to capitalise on his good start to the season and slumped to 16th in the world, has been in Florida having a hit with the Czech maestro earlier this week.

However, Lendl, who ended a successful stint with Murray in March 2014, told Dimitrov he would be unable to commit enough time to the job. Eight-time Grand Slam winner Lendl, who was Murray's coach when he won the 2012 US Open and Olympic Gold, is one of Dimitrov’s biggest admirers and predicted that the Bulgarian has the ability to jump to number 1 in the world.

But Lendl, who also rejected a coaching role with his compatriot Tomas Berdych, turned down the possibility to work with Dimitrov, saying he doesn’t want to travel the world as a coach again. After Lendl's refusal, Dimitrov, who ended his association with coach Roger Rasheed after losing in the third round at Wimbledon, turned to Sweden’s Johan Ortegren.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/tennis/595495/Tennis-Andy-Murray-Former-Coach-Ivan-Lendl-Rejects-Grigor-Dimitrov-Maria-Sharapova
I think this is not true. He is probably just helping Dimitrov for now, since they know each other from Good to Great Tennis Academy. But I guess (and hope) Dimitrov wouldn't hire someone as inexperient as Ortegren to be his primary coach at the moment.

·
Registered
19,409 Posts
It looks like it was Lendl's decision to split with Murray, he denied Berdych and now denied Dimitrov. It's pretty clear he doesn't want to coach anymore

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
I really wish luck to Grigor. I just wish he would start 'thinking'.

Lendl will not commit to something he can't deliver and Dimitrov is not committed enough to his own game. It's like two people click or not.

Lendl did travel with Murray. He helped and when he felt his job was finished he quit. Typical Lendl.

Dimitrov is running out of time. He needs someone who can tweak his game and make him mentally stronger. There are many ex pros who can do it and Grigor can afford them.

Look at Nole and Becker. Everyone was laughing at the time. Are you laughing now?

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
Can't say anything bad for trying. Ivan's also got his own life. But whoever Dimitrov works with, hope it revives him with new perspective. Results may not come quick but as least he's got a new voice tactically.

Or maybe Lendl and Anaconne have decided that they can not do it anything with Dimitrov to make him a Champion. I just can not see him as strong and formidable Champion as Federer,Djokovic . Maybe because media/press has hyped him up
too early as baby Fed who will replace Federer caused Dimi those problems. It is a big mistake to compare young players to such a great player.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Ivan told the Czech media that he had not enough time for Andy and he wanted to focus on his things, so nothing new for Grigor's situation as well.

·
Registered
570 Posts
So it looks like its the same reason he had with Murray. He first travelled with him, gave a lot of time and then he was done. They split because Lendl said he does not want to devote that much time anymore to this, and Murray wanted him to. Same now with Dimitrov. I guess he is really tired of traveling.

But I believe that even a partial coaching/advising relationship that does not require travel would be helpful for Dimitrov. For example, hitting with him during gaps in the tour, and phone advise throughout the year. Not sure why they don't do that.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Don't know if it is true but I think he would be a good coach for Dimi

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Just like Berdych, Dimitrov has been snubbed.

Either Lendl was not impressed with the Bulgarian or he proved to be too expensive. Murray paid Lendl very well and he enjoyed monster bonuses for the two Grand Slam wins.

·
Bring it Home
21,029 Posts

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
It looks like it was Lendl's decision to split with Murray, he denied Berdych and now denied Dimitrov. It's pretty clear he doesn't want to coach anymore
I think he does want to coach again.

You don't bother meeting players for training sessions if you are not interested in returning to the game.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts