Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Was just going through the Old Tennis matches in Youtube, And Lendl really caught my Eye. The way this guy played Tennis is pretty similar to the way Tennis has been played ever since. Hard Hitting Ground strokes. No Power Puff strokes. Hard Hitting serves. And i really found the adage true, Lendl is the Father of Modern Tennis.

No offense but players immediately before him like Borg,Mc Enroe, were too Old Generation for my liking. Barely their ground strokes crossed the other part, and long loopy shots that any of the todays players if faced would have smashed them then and there. Mostly they relied on touches and i can even see Serena destroying the fuck out of Borgs and Mc Enroes , Gerulatis.

But i saw Lendl and i really thought this guy is really the father of Modern Tennis. There is very little deviation from Lendls' Game and that of Most of the Top Players today. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Agreed, a much underrated player, better than McEnroe and possibly Connors IMO

·
6,253 Posts
Yep, my 2nd favourite player of all time behind Nole.
His emergence from a number of years as a Top 3-4 player, to domination reminds me of Nole.
Lendl pioneered the power baseline game, while serve and volleyers still dominated, along with hybrids like Connors.
This was just as rackets started to change, and the likes of Mac could not adapt and evolve, even after his extraordinary 1984 season.
The only blemish is that Lendl failed to win Wimbledon with this game, and probably cost himself a couple of RGs in this failed quest.

·
Your visions will happen
47,141 Posts
No, it was Jack Kramer

Really Bill Tilden

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
Yep, my 2nd favourite player of all time behind Nole.
His emergence from a number of years as a Top 3-4 player, to domination reminds me of Nole.
Lendl pioneered the power baseline game
Along with superb passing shots.
Unfortunately I came too late to watch tennis at the end of the 80's when his best days were gone.

·
6,253 Posts
Along with superb passing shots.
Unfortunately I came too late to watch tennis at the end of the 80's when his best days were gone.
Yep, once the S&V players were getting burned by passing shots from the likes of Lendl , their days were numbered.
Of course, that did not happen at Wimbledon until a bit later.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Was just going through the Old Tennis matches in Youtube, And Lendl really caught my Eye. The way this guy played Tennis is pretty similar to the way Tennis has been played ever since. Hard Hitting Ground strokes. No Power Puff strokes. Hard Hitting serves. And i really found the adage true, Lendl is the Father of Modern Tennis.

No offense but players immediately before him like Borg,Mc Enroe, were too Old Generation for my liking. Barely their ground strokes crossed the other part, and long loopy shots that any of the todays players if faced would have smashed them then and there. Mostly they relied on touches and i can even see Serena destroying the fuck out of Borgs and Mc Enroes , Gerulatis.

But i saw Lendl and i really thought this guy is really the father of Modern Tennis. There is very little deviation from Lendls' Game and that of Most of the Top Players today. Your thoughts?

You are joking here right? Even Mac as he is now could still trouble Serena, she's slow af and not a single WTA player knows how to volley or S&V properly to exploit it, watching a current WTA player trying to volley is just tragic almost all of the time.
And Mac would at least try some different tactics, 99% of the women now are either all out ballbashers or all out defenders with no variation, the ballbashers lose out to Serena because she's a better ballbasher than anyone who's ever played in the WTA and the defensive ones just get overpowered eventually.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts

You cannot say what "players of today" would have done with Borg or Mac's shots because they game has changed so much, different racquets different strings etc. etc.

Better you should put wooden or first generation graphite racquets in todays players hand and see what kind of shots they can hit.

YOur comparison doesn't hold up.

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Agree about Ivan Lendl, underrated mostly because he was not popular, in terms of popularity he was probably the equivalent of Tomas Berdych today.

Mostly they relied on touches and i can even see Serena destroying the fuck out of Borgs and Mc Enroes , Gerulatis.
Lol impossible, I am confident even the 2018 version of John McEnroe (and I can't stand the guy) would beat Serena Williams.

Please watch just the first 2 minutes:
-1st point: Kei could have won the point on the passing shot, but Serena would actually struggle to return that first serve
-2nd point: very good first volley from JMc, she won't win the point from this position
-3rd point: unreturnable serve
-4rd point: good first serve, not even sure Serena gets it, if she does JMc hits an easy volley winner on his second shot.

Serena Williams would be way too slow in general when in defensive position. She is overrated.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Agree about Ivan Lendl, underrated mostly because he was not popular, in terms of popularity he was probably the equivalent of Tomas Berdych today.

Lol impossible, I am confident even the 2018 version of John McEnroe (and I can't stand the guy) would beat Serena Williams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc9zYGZVj9U

Please watch just the first 2 minutes:
-1st point: Kei could have won the point on the passing shot, but Serena would actually struggle to return that first serve
-2nd point: very good first volley from JMc, she won't win the point from this position
-3rd point: unreturnable serve
-4rd point: good first serve, not even sure Serena gets it, if she does JMc hits an easy volley winner on his second shot.

Serena Williams would be way too slow in general when in defensive position. She is overrated.
This kid Osaka would destroy old male players. Serves as fast as Djokovic, plus young athlete in top shape. Even if older man could force few points, they would never have stamina to win a match.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I generally dislike comparisons between players of different eras but when it comes to the "father of modern tennis", I would say Borg. He made the sport broadly popular again, he was the first top player with a two-handed backhand, and he had youth appeal that matched pop stars. He rejuvenated tennis more than any other single player.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts