Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Leander Paes: "The one real goal that I have is to get to the 2016 Olympics in Rio"

Indian tennis ace Leander Paes re-opened some old wounds after he said in a recent interview that former partner Mahesh Bhupathi made the 2012 London Olympics a sad one for him.

Speaking after receiving the Padma Bhushan, which is one of India's top civilian honours, Paes commented, "Mahesh was the reason the last Olympics in London was a real sad one for me. Not only did they not give me a chance to get a medal, India lost an opportunity to get a medal. That's something that's gone down in history."

Bhupathi had refused to partner Paes in an ugly controversy at the time of selecting the squad for the London Olympic Games - the controversy later also ensnared other Indian players such as Rohan Bopanna and Sania Mirza.

Paes went on to say that he is motivated to continue playing till the Rio Olympics in 2016. "The one real goal that I have is to get to the 2016 Olympics in Rio, which will be my seventh Summer Games. Rio is only two years away and it is a realistic target. I am in the top 10 in mens doubles and the last Grand Slam I won was six months away. So for me is to keep the fire burning and to achieve glory is the long-term goal in sight."

Paes also said he was not averse to the idea of joining politics if he was called upon to do so. India is currently in the midst of its general elections which will elect a new parliament and government at the Centre. "My whole life I have faced people. I have lived life in the fish bowl environment with my tennis. I am very clear about the way I conduct life and my profession. If the opportunity comes I am ready to face the people. I will face the people if the occasion arises with open arms on the transparent model I have lead my life. For me joining politics is an extension of setting the high standards that I have set on the tennis courts as an Indian and Human being. So if there is a knock I am not going to shy away from that."

http://www.tennisworldusa.org/Leander-Paes-Mahesh-was-the-reason-the-last-Olympics-in-London-was-a-real-sad-one-for-me-articolo17652.html

Indian tennis star Leander Paes was conferred the Padma Bhushan, country’s third highest civilian honour, by President Pranab Mukherjee at a private ceremony at the Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi on Saturday.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Re: Leander Paes: "The one real goal that I have is to get to the 2016 Olympics in Ri

Hats off the LEGEND...:worship::worship:

Please keep on playing and entertain us :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts