Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone believe the stuff that comes out of this guy's mouth?

I've read a number of articles with quotes about how great he thinks he is, just read another and am ready to puke:

MUMBAI, India (Reuters) - Seven-times doubles grand slam winner Leander Paes said on Friday he regretted teaming up with fellow Indian Mahesh Bhupathi when he should have instead focused on his singles career.

The former world number one pair, nicknamed the Indian Express, won at Wimbledon and twice at the French Open between 1999 and 2001 but have had a turbulent relationship for several years.

“Opting to play doubles with Mahesh was probably the worst decision of my playing career,” Paes told the espnstar Web site (http://www.espnstar.com).

“Now, when I look back, I regret the fact that I sacrificed my singles career for him.

“I had won the Pilot Pen International hardcourt tournament beating the top players of the world, including Pete Sampras, and reached (a) world ranking of 73 in 1998.”

Paes’s comments are likely to further damage the estranged duo’s relationship. They are due to compete together at the Beijing Olympics in August.

In February, Bhupathi backed a revolt lodged against his former doubles partner by younger team mates who had threatened to boycott this weekend’s Davis Cup tie against Japan unless Paes was replaced as captain.

The federation backed Cup stalwart Paes and have urged the two to play together on the tour to prepare for the August 8-24 games.

“When I was at the top of my singles career, I actually sacrificed my rankings to play Satellites and Future tournaments with him so that he could be at par with me which would help us get entry into ATP tournaments,” Paes, who won Olympic singles bronze in 1996, added.

“Even though everyone advised me not to pick up a rookie player like Mahesh but my instincts told me to take him along.”
Leander, no need to blame Mahesh for the fact that you are a doubles-only mug. No wonder the Davis Cup team didn't want to play for this arrogant dickhead.

·
Registered
375 Posts
From what I understand I could be wrong but he was very promising JR world number 1 I think. So really he did have the talent to make it big but most prob not the mind.
But still he has no right to blame anyone eles for what he decide to do in with his career.

·
Pacific Northwest Home
31,842 Posts
What does his ethnicity have to do with anything? Human nature likes to tout one's own horn the more successful one gets. It is called having an ego;)

Reactions: Zirconek

·
Registered
691 Posts
I'm still annoyed with him about the way he treated Jamie lsat year... :(

·
Registered
132 Posts
It's true ... Paes is one ugly SOB. Sad to say, as I was watching him from fairly early on, even before he hooked up with Mahesh.

The truth is he was never going to make it as a singles player, even though he stroked the ball beautifully. He could only hope for the sort of success that Santoro has managed ... and it's a stretch to say that.

Paes was born 40 years too late. With his talent, he would have been a top 20 player
in the pre Open era, doing well on grass.

He received early backing from Peter Burwash and does not know the guy's name any more.

I have met Mahesh, too. Really personable but an awful professional singles player, a destiny he came to accept gracefully. Probably the only reason Paes deigned to play with Mahesh at all was Leander always feeling able to hump him at singles.

But for Paes to spew such rubbish shows that he's coming unhinged, a fate common to many retiring tennis players.

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
Paes :cuckoo:,even He did not win in Pilot Pen but in Newport -although he did beat Sampras-
Pilot Pen is the company that sponsored the tournament, wherever it was held. His statement is correct.

·
Registered
23,711 Posts
:crazy:

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
I think Pilot Pen sponsored New Heaven where he beat Samrpas, but he did not win that title there but in Newport.
Oh, I see what you're saying now, duh on me. I just looked, and Paes combined two tournaments in his head (or the article did). He won Newport, RI (the Hall of Fame tournament), but he beat Rosset, Brugera, and Sampras in New Haven. That was a good summer for him, not surprised it kind of ran together in his head.

Here, more fodder for the thread... http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/080331/2/zrt9.html

Paes to be Indian television superhero

Mon 31 Mar, 06:35 AM

MUMBAI, India (Reuters) - India's Davis Cup captain Leander Paes is to be featured as a superhero in a cartoon television series aimed at promoting an active lifestyle in children. Paes, a Cup stalwart who also won a singles bronze medal at the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta, is to play a miracle man who helps school kids in each of the 26 half-hour episodes being planned, The Indian Express reported on Monday.

Called "The Magic Racquet", the project will be a collaboration between Paes's company, Leander Sport Private Limited, and Mumbai-based Maya Entertainment Limited (MEL).

"It pains me when I see kids today spending a lot of time in from of TV sets and on unhealthy diets," Paes said.

"As a father and a national sports figure, I feel it is my duty to impart love for sports and an active lifestyle so the next generation can develop the mindset of champions, both on and off the field," he added.

Paes, a multiple grand slam winner in doubles, is his country's best known tennis player and a medal hope at the Beijing Olympics in August.

A date has not been set for the launch of the series.

(Reporting by Sanjay Rajan; Editing by Ed Osmond)

·
Banned
87 Posts
I don't think he has stamina for singles though he is a very talented yet arrogant doubles player.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts