Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mammoths
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Peak for peak (as in a sustained period of top quality play, not one match or one sets worth of form) who is more likely to win this match up. Also, if they could play 15 times what would the final H2H count be in your opinion on a neutral court such as say REBOUND ACE (which both never played on right?)? That requires some brain power then. :D

Or if you would like suggest how they would fare against each other in a 15 match series on grass, clay, fast hard, slow hard, indoor carpet...

Thoughts?

Mainly this thread is aimed at people who have been fortunate enough to see at least a decent amount of footage of both players and it is because of this that I really can't give my own opinion on the matter. A few points though:

The style of tennis that was played in the 60's was very different to the style that was played in the mid to late 70's and early 80's from WHAT I HEAR (I have only seen bits of tennis from the 60's). As far as I am aware though, the quality of equipment during Borgs prime wasn't leaps and bounds ahead of what Laver was able to use.. unlike the gaping chasm between the 80's and now.

:cool:

·
Registered
6,335 Posts

·
Mammoths
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
On which surface will they play? This is critical in assessing the likely results.
Whoops.. quite right.

Some kind of neutral surface.. to make life awkward how about the Rebound Ace surface. :D

Or People could perhaps suggest what the results may have been with 10 matches on clay, fast hard, slow hard, grass...

EDIT:

There are clips of both on youtube but the ones of Laver tend to be highlights and the ones Borg tend to be extended snippets of matches. This is why I haven't posted the links yet as it would distort peoples judgement. Perhaps if the thread gets a decent number of educated replies we could start posting the respective links and marvel at both players excellence.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
On grass- Laver, on clay- Borg, on hard or indoor- Laver. Borg never would have won all those Wimbledons if Laver, Rosewall, McEnroe, Newcombe were at their peak level. He never would have won all those FO had Rosewall been at his peak level.

·
Registered
10 Posts
On grass- Laver, on clay- Borg, on hard or indoor- Laver. Borg never would have won all those Wimbledons if Laver, Rosewall, McEnroe, Newcombe were at their peak level. He never would have won all those FO had Rosewall been at his peak level.

I think that this is generally true about Laver, but Borg was at least as great a clay court player as Rosewall. No one else in the Open era possessed ground strokes as consistent as his.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts