Votes: 39 60.0%
  • He will lose in the first week

Votes: 22 33.8%
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Laver: "I think grass should be right up Wawrinka’s alley. His serve is perfect..."

“I think grass should be right up Wawrinka’s alley. His serve is perfect and he volleys well, so I expect him to do well at Wimbledon.”

http://m.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2015/06/23/Roland-Garros-Final-Laver-Reaction.aspx

Do you agree/disagree with Laver? I think Stan can definitely play well on grass, as he demonstrated last year (7-2 record; SF at Queen's, QF at SW19). However, whether he can bring the level of motivation required to go deep in another Grand Slam, so soon after winning the French, is the bigger question mark for me.

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Re: Laver: "I think grass should be right up Wawrinka’s alley. His serve is perfect..

Agreed. Just look at Stan's 1st set against Federer in their Quarter-Final meeting last year. If he can reproduce that form shown, then he is very much the 3rd favourite to win Wimbledon behind Djokovic and Murray.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Re: Laver: "I think grass should be right up Wawrinka’s alley. His serve is perfect..

no surprise really.
last year he was outplaying federer in QF before he got injured. If healthy, he could've won the match and prevented djokovic from vulturing another slam

·
Registered
10,955 Posts

He was good in the grass season last year. It's a shame he was fucked over at Wimbledon by the schedule and illness.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts

His volleys can be improved.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts

I agree. Grass doesn't really play into his strengths, but he can still go deep. It's questionable however whether he will play his best again so soon after winning RG.

And we all know how Wawrinka does when he's not at his best.

·
Registered
6,421 Posts

Pic of Laver after Djokovic's CYGS was derailed:

·
Banned
15,396 Posts

Laver is either, sorry to say, too old, or is trolling us.

·
24,275 Posts

Well I agree serve is good but from what I see Stan was a bit more skittish on grass and was forcing the errors rather than going for it. That being said, he did good S&Vs last year so he does finish points quicker. He has a decent volley to sort of imply a servebottish strategy. I wonder though how he handles players with better grass defense.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts

Not sure. Wawrinka needs time to set up his big heavy shots and on grass, it may be more difficult for him to do so.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts

Not sure. Wawrinka needs time to set up his big heavy shots and on grass, it may be more difficult for him to do so.
If he survives to 2nd week then there is plenty of time ;)

·
Registered
22,562 Posts

no surprise really.
last year he was outplaying federer in QF before he got injured. If healthy, he could've won the match and prevented djokovic from vulturing another slam
He wasn't injured, but sick. Probably as a result of getting screwed over by the organizers, making him play three days in a row. But yes, he was certainly outplaying Federer until the sickness got the better of him.

·
Bring it Home
21,140 Posts

Well, I think he's wrong.

Neither Wawrinka's serve is perfect for the grass (too flat and low %) nor he's a good volleyer.

His return's style is also terrible for this surface and he lacks ideal movement.

His power game can take him to a QF or something with a favorable draw though, just like last year.

·
Registered
8,565 Posts

His strokes are too long for me to win wimbledon, espeically the backhand

·
Banned
4,868 Posts

Well, I think he's wrong.

Neither Wawrinka's serve is perfect for the grass (too flat and low %) nor he's a good volleyer.

His return's style is also terrible for this surface and he lacks ideal movement.

His power game can take him to a QF or something with a favorable draw though, just like last year.
You just described Andy Roddick. He did better than a QF.

·
Registered
15,791 Posts

lol @ Laver still thinking Serve and Volley is how to win Wimbledon

Nadal and Djokovic have won thing 2 times for christ sake

·
Registered
22,562 Posts

Yeah, let's not put Wawrinka's serve on the same level as Roddick's :lol:

·
Bring it Home
21,140 Posts

:lol:

Come on, he didn't had much variation too, but Roddick's serve was basically servebot level during 03-09. :cool:

His strokes are too long for me to win wimbledon, espeically the backhand
Yes, there is another thing. Too much preparation time.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts