Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
10,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Federer made no mistakes today. I'm sure Twitter will have all of the delicious shots.

Peak McEnroe appeared today as well.

·
10,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That was fantastic by Fed, where did that come from?

Kyrgios is worse and worse, just hopeless off the ground and his serve wasn't great.
He played like it was the Australian Open 2017. The slice backhand totally destroyed Nick and Federer played Kyrgios like he was Roddick. Also the top spin backhand looked delicious

·
Registered
14,500 Posts
Federer for once unplayable, not even peak Djokovic or anyone very good indoors player would have topped that.

Very smart, not even went too often to the net, just played all-court tennis, very aggressively and wisely, going for the lines, with limited errors.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
I'm not sure Roger can bring this level on demand anymore. It seems to come and go. He looked in good physical shape and was bending low preparing his return, so his back must have felt pretty good even after the pounding it took yesterday. Also Kyrgios needs to serve better to be more effective. Otherwise he looks like a bad matchup with a Federer in this kind of control. His return is not good enough and he is too impatient and doesn't let Federer implode.

But it's true Federer's backhand, especially down the line was superb along with great touch on his volleys, and good control of both 1st and 2nd serves. When Federer is serving well, he is tough to beat for anyone, and for a stretch of time he was unplayable today.

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
Probably deserves own thread
Only one? I think at least 3 are in the works.

NK got robbed by the umpire, who, of course received a piece of his and Mac's mind (so much for lovey-dovey exho atmosphere :lol:). More importantly, his serve wasn't helped by slow court and Fed's been getting a progressively better read on it this year. Without free points Nick didn't stand a chance to begin with.
Pressure free Roger put on a vintage performance. That being said, the hottest thing about this match was still Ivanovic. :p

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Fed was nice and relaxed in this environment, nice to watch but then he did routine Kyrgios a few weeks back so a match up he's still very comfortable in.

Can win Basle I'm sure, not sure on WTF.

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Couldn't really properly watch the match, the stream sucked. From what I hear Fed was good but from the little I saw Nick wouldn't have been up to par even with a mediocre Fed let alone a well playing one.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
The close matches Kyrgios and Federer played before where due to Kyrgios serve firepower but ever since their USO (glimpses in stuttgart) Federer is reading it really well and of course on a low bouncing court Federer starts with an advantage against pretty much every one.But those ground strokes were delicious

Just hoping some of this good form translates in a fruitful Asian-Indoor season.

·
Banned
9,595 Posts
Federer for once unplayable, not even peak Djokovic or anyone very good indoors player would have topped that.

Very smart, not even went too often to the net, just played all-court tennis, very aggressively and wisely, going for the lines, with limited errors.
:haha: He beat KYRGIOS in an EXHIBITION. :haha:

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Did you watch on amazon prime? I have found their stream to be really good wuality
I actually usually watch it on bet365 but to stream they require 5 euros which I lost in a failed bet and I didn't want to put in anymore so that I'm not tempted to lose those 5 as well so I was left with batmanstream and the like... :lol: Will check out Amazon Prime.

·
|
14,290 Posts
:haha: He beat KYRGIOS in an EXHIBITION. :haha:
Kyrgios said the only time he's cried on a tennis court was when Federer beat him at the Laver Cup 2017.
So Krygios takes this more seriously than any other event.
Also Krygios always takes Federer seriously.

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
People mentioning Federer reading the serve well, interesting because I noticed Fed went to the correct side that one time when Kyrgios served but it was into the net, not sure if it was luck or...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts