Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ATP and the Laver Cup announced today an agreement that will make the annual men's team event, in which Europe takes on the rest of the world, an official part of the annual ATP Tour calendar.

The agreement gives the event, now approaching its third competition in Geneva, Switzerland this September, access to ATP services, including marketing and social media, along with operational personnel such as officials and physios.

"The Laver Cup team is incredibly excited about this partnership with the ATP. It has always been our hope to build the Laver Cup in partnership with the tennis world, and certification by the ATP after only two editions is an overwhelming validation of our vision,” said Tony Godsick, President and CEO of TEAM8, and Chairman of the Laver Cup.
https://www.atptour.com/en/news/atp-and-laver-cup-join-forces

·
Registered
263 Posts
I wonder if they give ATP ranking points to this event. Maybe not this year but I feel like it is the step in that direction.
But then Laver Cup should change the criteria - how players enter the competition. Now it's up to the team's captains.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
But then Laver Cup should change the criteria - how players enter the competition. Now it's up to the team's captains.
In a few years it be Team Nike against Team Adidas, or Team Coca Cola against Team Red Bull.

Or club-based competitions like the Champion's League in european football, where clubs can hire any player they want.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
. Glorified exhibition, nothing more, moving on. No points no countable match wins or tournament wins. Seriously who cares?
Yeah, it's always been overhyped. Don't think i've ever done more than given it a passing glance on my TV.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Negativity and cynicism here is off the charts. The first two Laver Cups were fantastic for fans and the players loved it. If it can survive Federer's retirement, it deserves to be a regular part of the calendar (especially if they can adjust the entry criteria and add ATP points).

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
If it can survive Federer's retirement, it deserves to be a regular part of the calendar (especially if they can adjust the entry criteria and add ATP points).
Why should they award ATP points for it?

Even the Olympics doesn't do that anymore; a glorified exho like this shouldn't be an exception.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Negativity and cynicism here is off the charts. The first two Laver Cups were fantastic for fans and the players loved it. If it can survive Federer's retirement, it deserves to be a regular part of the calendar (especially if they can adjust the entry criteria and add ATP points).
I dunno about points but I hope they fix the entry to being the highest ranked players willing to participate and no captain's picks.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I dunno about points but I hope they fix the entry to being the highest ranked players willing to participate and no captain's picks.
Then we already have WTF. I think one of the purposes of Laver's Cup is to fight against the ATP ranking point system to give influential players more leverage.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Then we already have WTF. I think one of the purposes of Laver's Cup is to fight against the ATP ranking point system to give influential players more leverage.
Then it shouldn't be ATP sanctioned. All ATP tournaments should be based on merit rather than the whims of some long retired captains.

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Davis Cup died, and now this.

Tennis is going in the wrong direction.

I wonder if they give ATP ranking points to this event. Maybe not this year but I feel like it is the step in that direction.
In the current format it's impossible to give points, would be unfair to the players with good ranking yet not invited.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
First ATP states they don't like LC with the ATP Cup as their answer, but as soon as they can be part of a very successful event, they don't hesitate to join them.

Laver Cup 1, ATP 0.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
It is mainly there to make tens of millions to Fed & co, and players like Kyrgios who playing at 101% therein can make as much money as for the whole season with about 45-50 matches played, half of those being quick 63 63 affairs or ret. & w/o.

If they had really wanted to pay an adequate tribute to Rod Laver, they shoud've renamed the new reformed Davis Cup, Davis-Laver Cup, awarding ample points to the winner.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts